Connolly: O's still looking to acquire bat

Os84

These are valid points, but outside of Markakis the Orioles do not have a proven #3/4 hitter. And as grimed1 said, the leadoff spot is wide open as well. Do you believe Wieters and Jones are ready or qualified to hit in the MOO (or any Orioles for that matter)?

I agree with you that pressure should be no different in the lineup under the same situations, but my point was directed towards putting younger hitters in key lineup positions (MOO) that have more pressure situations. There is a psychological difference batting 3/4 as well, IMO. Opposing pitchers will feed off lineup imbalances when the O's have younger and/or less productive hitters in the MOO.

There are a number of reasons why Markakis offense has declined since 2008, but I would strongly argue that some of it can be attributed to lack of lineup protection since Huff's 2008 resurgent season (2009 was a huge drop off). Another reason could be the Orioles batting him cleanup in 2009, in an attempt to overcome lineup deficiency.

This is why I agree with grimed1's point that there is cause for concern that the young hitters might regress some this year. Certainly do not hope for it or believe it is very likely, but the concern is valid and should have been addressed more this offseason, IMO.

I would guess Markakis/Reynolds can bat 3/4. With Davis 5 and Wieters 6th. Andino or Hardy will prbably alternate, leadoff or hit 2nd.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Dan Duquette is going to come up with a situation to give Manny a chance. I listened to him speak again yesterday and unless over ruled, I think he is offering Manny an opportunity.

What is a $$$ amount we should be happy with? Should we have some control over MiL stints if we think that would be helpful or necessary?

I think Dan Duquette is going to come up with a situation to give Manny a chance. I listened to him speak again yesterday and unless over ruled, I think he is offering Manny an opportunity.

I don't have a problem with that under one condition... He's on the MiL roster until his OPS is 1.000 for a span of at least one week. I don't doubt he could have some marginal trade value come the break if all went right.

I don't have a problem with that under one condition... He's on the MiL roster until his OPS is 1.000 for a span of at least one week. I don't doubt he could have some marginal trade value come the break if all went right.

Can he play in the MiL while suspended at the ML level?

It seems like he may be able to at some level. Uncertain.

Wouldn't make a lot of sense to sign the guy, sit out 50 games, bring him into the lineup for 25-ish games and think he'd have established much value at the deadline right?

At least one member of the Orioles' organization views signing Ramirez as something of a "win-win" for the club because the veteran DH is probably willing to accept a minor league deal. If the Orioles don't like him, they can keep him down there.

Executive vice president Dan Duquette told reporters yesterday that the Orioles are "aware that Manny is on the market and we've had exploratory talks with his agent and we've seen him work out. We're still considering the composition of the club and some of the challenges integrating a player like Manny into our ballclub and market. So that's really all I can say about it right now."

I think he said plenty. The Orioles are interested in Ramirez, but they're also weighing the risks of adding him to their clubhouse and subjecting their fan base to Manny being Manny.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/02/this-and-that-24.html

Can he play in the MiL while suspended at the ML level?

Looking into it... like Weams said, you get some time down there to get your swing back, but it's not like he can play all 50 - 100 games at the MiL during the suspension. Furthermore, if we acquired him now, I believe you technically have to clear a spot on the 40 man. Then, similarly to Brian Roberts, he sits there until the season starts, when you're then allowed to put him on the 60-day DL or in the case of Manny the suspended list.

In short, would you designate a player on the 40 or put them on waivers in order to take a shot at Manny? Seems unlikely. I think if we do this it'll be after the season is officially underway.

I really don't understand what the upside is for the O's in this unless his suspension is dropped all together. No one wants a DH as it is. He can't play the OF, at best he's going to get 100 AB's between his first game and the trade deadline. You'd basically be just doing Manny a favor.

Looking into it... like Weams said, you get some time down there to get your swing back, but it's not like he can play all 50 - 100 games at the MiL during the suspension. Furthermore, if we acquired him now, I believe you technically have to clear a spot on the 40 man. Then, similarly to Brian Roberts, he sits there until the season starts, when you're then allowed to put him on the 60-day DL or in the case of Manny the suspended list.

In short, would you designate a player on the 40 or put them on waivers in order to take a shot at Manny? Seems unlikely. I think if we do this it'll be after the season is officially underway.

Actually, I think he can be signed to a non 40 man roster contract. Serve his suspension, And be added to the 40 man when he is activated. I think.

Seems like a lot of trouble to go through for what will most likely end up being a lot of trouble.

We would be better off hiring a circus clown for the sideshow.

Only the Orioles would do something like this. Why is it that the Orioles always find some of the most creative ways of creating a cluster? It's not enough to have all of South Korea on our ass but now we're trying to bring in the biggest distraction you can possibly find outside of suiting up Mila Kunis as the ballgirl.

Archived