Guthrie traded to Rockies for Hammel & Lindstrom

Bazooka Jones

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This seems like another example of the dumb decisions the team makes with veterans. Hold on to BRob to long, look what happens. Hold onto Luke Scott too long, look what happens. Hold onto Jeremy Guthrie too long, this just happened. And then people get mad at SG when he says to trade these guys. Can't wait to see how bad they misplay their hand with Adam Jones.

I think I am starting to understand why DD has been out of the game for 10 years.

I didn't think I could be more disgusted with Baltimore sports then I was after Evans and Cundiff blew the Ravens Super Bowl, but leave it to the Orioles to find a way.

This seems like another example of the dumb decisions the team makes with veterans. Hold on to BRob to long, look what happens. Hold onto Luke Scott too long, look what happens. Hold onto Jeremy Guthrie too long, this just happened. And then people get mad at SG when he says to trade these guys. Can't wait to see how bad they misplay their hand with Adam Jones.

At this point just extend Jones. No, you can't let him walk but I have little confidence in DD getting good value for him either.

Here's an interesting comment from an outsider:

Jason Hammel is really underrated. He had a bad year last year, fueled by a lower than usual BABIP, but his 09+10 campaigns were stellar, his FIPs and xFIPs were between 3.66 and 3.76 and his WAR was 3.9 both years. Add a good defense behind him and you'll get a sub 3.50 ERA. He's also been used sparingly for some reason, always around 180 IP, he's got a lot of milage left too. That's a good, solid pitcher.

Guthrie is almost the opposite, never had more than a 2.6 WAR, more wear on his arm, pretty awful peripheral stats, his FIPs and xFIPs are always around 4.50. He has a rep for some reason I guess because he was the "ace" of a terrible team. I'd take Hammel over him 100% of the time. Nice win by the Orioles here.

This is exactly why I should never start to take up for an Orioles GM. The second I do they do something that makes me start scratching my head. This trade makes no sense for the future since it only buys one additional year of a pitcher that "might" be a good as Guthrie.

This feels like a temper tantrum move. We don't like your arbitration number and you won't negotiate a settlement so I'm going to trade you for whatever I can get. I mean if it was Hammels and a prospect then maybe I could see this. But Hammels and a salary dump? Hell, at least he could have gotten the Rockies to take Gregg. This doesn't make the Orioles in the near term or long term. It makes little sense.

Archived