Guthrie traded to Rockies for Hammel & Lindstrom

Bazooka Jones

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best case scenario, Hammel is effectively a replacement for Guthrie and Lindstrom is a quality setup guy.

Worst case scenario, Hammel is a bit worse than Guthrie and Lindstrom gets knocked around like he did in 2009.

I guess I'm okay with this. Not thrilled, not even happy, but okay.

Now Jon Heyman says Young might be in the deal? Don't hold your breath.

Per Connnelly: "It's believed the Orioles discussed a third player with the Rockies but eventually settled on Hammel and Lindstrom." http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-orioles-set-to-trade-guthrie-to-rockies-20120206,0,149881.story

Ugh. Only thing i can think is they discussed LT deal with Guts and he indicated no interest.

Looked at the stats, briefly, and I don't see much reason to be excited. About the best you can hope for is that Hammel replaced Guthrie's production, but that's no given. Lindstrom seems like your generic reliever that you can find in other avenues, avenues that don't require trading Jeremy Guthrie.

I hold out hope for some prospects we haven't read about yet, because otherwise this doesn't look like a very inspired deal. I subscribe to the idea that the market for Guthrie may not have been as good as we believed, or had long hoped, but even still, this deal doesn't look good.

The 2009 and 2010 Jason Hammel was a pretty good pitcher. Good K and BB numbers..Solid FIP and xFIP numbers...3.9 WAR each season. And he did that in Coors Field.

In 2011, he was pretty poor..His K's dropped big time and his walks went way up. Not sure why..not real loss of velocity or anything like that. His BABIP was fine...HR/FB rate up a little bit but not terribly unlucky. He just wasn't good.

Lindstrom is your normal, run of the mill reliever. Nothing special.

The Orioles also don't really save much money here. Lindstrom is owed 3.6M this year and has a 200K buyout. Hammel is owed 4.75M and has one more year of service time after this year I believe.

So, at most, the Orioles save 2 million here.

If Hammel gets back to the pitcher he was in 2009 and 2010, this trade is a wash and you get a similar pitcher to Guthrie for 1 more year and a little less money.

Either way, I don't really get this trade. There is reason to think the Orioles could get the better end of this deal but it wouldn't be by much and it certainly doesn't do much for you long term.

I thought you'd be more vile then this, but even still, I don't feel much better about this trade after reading this.

Guts was a class act and will be missed. I can't believe after 3 years of trade discussions about him, THIS is the trade we make? UGH! I think Dunkin Donuts must be going for the #1 draft pick in the 2013 draft.

Per Connnelly: "It's believed the Orioles discussed a third player with the Rockies but eventually settled on Hammel and Lindstrom." http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-orioles-set-to-trade-guthrie-to-rockies-20120206,0,149881.story

Ugh. Only thing i can think is they discussed LT deal with Guts and he indicated no interest.

That's really mind-boggling to me if that's all we're getting.

Dude, whoever does this Twitter thing needs to let Guts know we're rooting for him.

And ask him to bless us poor Orioles fans who will be miserable until we die!

I sent him some well-wishes myself, I get the feeling he's getting a lot of love from O's fans on twitter right now.

As always, I'll wait for final confirmation before passing judgment. Can't imagine them trading Guthrie for those two. What would be the point?

I'm with you on this one. Hammel is only one year behind Guthrie in arbitration and free agency and his numbers in the national league suggest he will be a pinata in the AL East. I don't see the need for Lindstrom since our bullpen is pretty solid with good candidates. Lindstrom is not a groundball guy and he doesn't miss bats. There has to be more to this deal or this is Duquette cutting payroll.

Looked at the stats, briefly, and I don't see much reason to be excited. About the best you can hope for is that Hammel replaced Guthrie's production, but that's no given. Lindstrom seems like your generic reliever that you can find in other avenues, avenues that don't require trading Jeremy Guthrie.

I hold out hope for some prospects we haven't read about yet, because otherwise this doesn't look like a very inspired deal. I subscribe to the idea that the market for Guthrie may not have been as good as we believed, or had long hoped, but even still, this deal doesn't look good.

If that is the case, you then hold onto him and hope for a good first half and move him in July.

Archived