Dan Duquette: No teams were willing to offer us young prospects in return for Guthrie

ChaosLex

A supplemetary pick is worth more than Hammel and Linstrom? As Drungo has pointed out the new CB says there is no pick from a deadline trade so that lessens Gut's value in trade, then.

Yea but the idea of making the playoffs is more important than that pick.

If Guthrie has a solid first half, he gets us back a better deal than this.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm certain the alternative to Hammel and Lindstrom wasn't some A level prospect. But considering the return, it made more sense to hold onto Guthrie and either see if the value goes up at the trading deadline or take the supplemental pick. Instead we have two replacement level pitchers for at least two years instead of one replacement level pitcher for one year plus a supplemental pick.

There's a good chance they would have been stuck with Guthrie at high dollars next year if they offered him arb. to get that pick so I don't think that went into the equation.

We keep saying this every year. It keeps not happening. This may be as good a deal as Guthrie was going to bring.

Maybe not...but 2012 was going to cost a lot more cash for another roll of the rigged dice.

I'm certain the alternative to Hammel and Lindstrom wasn't some A level prospect. But considering the return, it made more sense to hold onto Guthrie and either see if the value goes up at the trading deadline or take the supplemental pick. Instead we have two replacement level pitchers for at least two years instead of one replacement level pitcher for one year plus a supplemental pick.

There's a fair chance that the Hammel/Lindstrom combo are at least as valuable come July as Guthrie.

And of course none of these pitchers are replacement level and the O's don't have to keep anyone past next year.

You can't put pepperjack cheese on this #$%& sandwich and make it taste better, Dan.

I know cynicism is your thing now, but if no teams were willing to trade prospects, I would infinitely prefer Hammel to Guthrie. Just because we want a player to have good trade value doesn't mean they do.

We keep saying this every year. It keeps not happening. This may be as good a deal as Guthrie was going to bring.

Maybe not...but 2012 was going to cost a lot more cash for another roll of the rigged dice.

Hard to believe that is because people don't think Guthrie is any good...that is GM driven to me.

Hard to believe that is because people don't think Guthrie is any good...that is GM driven to me.

I want to agree with you. I was a supporter of the trade Guthrie for prospects mid season crowd for the last few years. But I can't help think we all over valued Guthrie on the trade market. He was only good enough to bring back decent prospects under a very particular set of circumstances. Another team needed to get desperate due to injury or something. It just didn't pan out.

I would prefer to have Guthrie in 2012 over Hammels and Lindstrom. But looking at the data, chances are this is a lateral move for the Orioles.

Maybe it's because the GM thinks Guthrie "should" have more value than he does, and keeps holding out for a deal that's not there as Guthrie gets older and more expensive and his trade value keeps declining, and then suddenly he's 32 and filing for 10M in arb and all we can get is a #4 starter with question marks and a reliever.

Holding out for too much can be just as bad as settling for too little.

Maybe it's because the GM thinks Guthrie "should" have more value than he does, and keeps holding out for a deal that's not there as Guthrie gets older and more expensive and his trade value keeps declining, and then suddenly he's 32 and filing for 10M in arb and all we can get is a #4 starter with question marks and a reliever.

Holding out for too much can be just as bad as settling for too little.

Yea, this is what I think as well.

There's a good chance they would have been stuck with Guthrie at high dollars next year if they offered him arb. to get that pick so I don't think that went into the equation.

Not if you wheel and deal leading up to arbitration.

Guthrie is a back of rotation add to a playoff team. I doubt he brings back more than Hammel and Linstrom at the deadline. A C+ B- prospect or two at best..

Guthrie is a back of rotation add to a playoff team. I doubt he brings back more than Hammel and Linstrom at the deadline. A C+ B- prospect or two at best..

Which makes more sense for us...and I think he brings back more than that depending on how he pitches.

BTW, you could make the argument that he is starting in the playoffs for a team like Detroit.

A couple of B- prospects PLUS $4MM saved is pretty solid for a team in Baltimore's position...

Archived