Current Preference List (3/22/2012)

Can someone compare Buxton to Hosmer when he was drafted? I am wondering what makes him risky (other than being in HS). Would you have said Machado was AS risky?

Different kinds of players. Hosmer was more elite bat but didn't need to be a superstar in other areas because he's a 1B. Buxton is more of one of those fabled 5-tool players :) Super athletic, tools all over, but still a bit raw and seems like half of those guys never develop and a lot of his value ties to his CF ability.

Machado had a lot of value tied to SS, but I think he was a little bit more safe with the bat than Buxton.

Not taking anything away from Buxton, he's supposed to be a great prospect, but for me as a philosophy I tend to shy away from the 5-tool OF.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Different kinds of players. Hosmer was more elite bat but didn't need to be a superstar in other areas because he's a 1B. Buxton is more of one of those fabled 5-tool players :) Super athletic, tools all over, but still a bit raw and seems like half of those guys never develop and a lot of his value ties to his CF ability.

Machado had a lot of value tied to SS, but I think he was a little bit more safe with the bat than Buxton.

Not taking anything away from Buxton, he's supposed to be a great prospect, but for me as a philosophy I tend to shy away from the 5-tool OF.

The stuff I've heard on Buxton reminds me of BJ Upton; all the tools in the world but still hasn't panned out as a great player

The stuff I've heard on Buxton reminds me of BJ Upton; all the tools in the world but still hasn't panned out as a great player

Upton has averaged 4 fWAR per season over his 5 full seasons. I don't necessarily think Upton is a great comp so much as a convenient archetype match, but if you guaranteed me Upton-like production from Buxton, I'd grab him at the top of the draft without hesitation.

That's not to say Buxton doesn't come with a good amount of risk, but I think you're underrating Upton.

Buxton is more BJ Upton's athleticism in Justin's future body. The Upton's each had more advanced baseball skills than Byron at the same time.

Got me thinking...What is the difference in ceilings between Strasburg and Dylan? how does their stuff compare overall?

Not only that, but how does the #4 pick in this draft year compare to last year or the year before. Is he that good, or is it a poor draft class. Without having some reference when making these lists it is almost impossible for those of us that don'[t follow this as closely as the professionals on here do to get the proper value out of it. And I don't want their hard work to not be recognized. But I do need some kind of reference point.

Not only that, but how does the #4 pick in this draft year compare to last year or the year before. Is he that good, or is it a poor draft class. Without having some reference when making these lists it is almost impossible for those of us that don'[t follow this as closely as the professionals on here do. And I don't want their hard work to not be recognized. But I do need some kind of reference point.

Mark Appel is currently #1 on the pref list and would generally be in the discussion for 6-10 range last year, behind Rendon, Starling, Cole, Bundy and (for me) Sonny Gray. There isn't much separation up top this year, so you generally have 4-5 players that would generally slot in the 3-5 range in a typical class, or 6-10 range in last year's class.

Mark Appel is currently #1 on the pref list and would generally be in the discussion for 6-10 range last year, behind Rendon, Starling, Cole, Bundy and (for me) Sonny Gray. There isn't much separation up top this year, so you generally have 4-5 players that would generally slot in the 3-5 range in a typical class, or 6-10 range in last year's class.

Excellent. Thank you for the time you spend with this... and us...

Another sneak peak for the kind folks chatting draft over here. Full article will post tomorrow at noon and will start to compare/contrast player profiles at each position:

Current Preference List (April 18, 2012)

1. Mark Appel, rhp, Stanford Univ.

2. Kevin Gausman, rhp, Louisiana St. Univ.

3. Byron Buxton, of, Appling County HS (Baxley, Ga.)

4. Kyle Zimmer, rhp, Univ. of San Francisco

5. Albert Almora, of, Mater Acad. (Hialeah Gardens, Fla.)

6. Mike Zunino, c, Univ. of Florida

7. Lucas Giolito, rhp, Harvard-Westlake HS (Studio City, Calif.)

8. Carlos Correa, ss/3b, Puerto Rico Baseball Acad. (Gurabo, P.R.)

9. Gavin Cecchini, ss, Barbe HS (Lake Charles, La.)

10. Deven Marrero, ss, Arizona St. Univ.

Thanks Nick. Interesting to see Almora moving up. Is there power in the bat? Everything else seems to be there.

Inconsistent right now, but frame, swing plane, bat speed and pre-game all point towards at least average power in the future.

I have not been able to see a whole lot of Buxton. Are the tools really that legit? Whats to say he isn't the next Donovan Tate? How does he compare with Bubba Starling? I'm just not sure we are the type of team that can develop a HS 5 tool player like Buxton. Not that I wouldn't absolutely love to add a legit top notch OF prospect. Lets just say Buxton, Appel are both available at 4 who do you go with? I'm hoping for Giolito even with the injury the thought of pairing Bundy and Giolito just makes me happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived