O's DFA Eveland

TonySoprano

There could be some financial reasoning for this as well. If a team claims Eveland, obviously they pick up the 750K contract. If no team claims him, of course it's in Eveland's best interests to go there because he still gets the 750K. The question is, will the Orioles keep him for depth at 750K or will they just release him at that point. How much of his salary would they be on the hook for? Anyone know those rules, again?

Well, yesterday you said he would be claimed...Are you backing off of that?

The 750K is another reason no one will claim him.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In hindsight, but Eveland had a decent spring, and if not for later signings such as Chen, Ayala and Wada, in addition to the return to form that Matusz presented us with, he'd easily be in the opening day rotation.

If he'd easily be in our rotation based on his fine spring and success last year -- I'm sure some team will claim him. We shall see.

In hindsight, but Eveland had a decent spring, and if not for later signings such as Chen, Ayala and Wada, in addition to the return to form that Matusz presented us with, he'd easily be in the opening day rotation.

1) Its not in hindsight.

2) Oh, so if you eliminate several other options he may make the rotation? What does that even mean? That makes no sense. There was no need to trade for him. On any level, it can't be justified.

It was a mistake in retrospect because the Orioles could have found depth of the caliber of Eveland off the waiver wire rather than through a trade, but let's not overdo it either. The Orioles didn't give up anything of significance to get him.

The bottom line IMO is DD wanted to throw some crap against the wall to see if it would stick. In general I don't have a problem with that but there was no need to give up assets to do it. He did that by trading Martin, Henson, and DFA Angle.

SG was right all along and he has a right to crow. Which, of course, he's not going to pass up the chance to do.

1) Its not in hindsight.

2) Oh, so if you eliminate several other options he may make the rotation? What does that even mean? That makes no sense. There was no need to trade for him. On any level, it can't be justified.

It is in hindsight. In December, Matusz looked awful. Arrieta and Britton were hurt. The rotation going into 2012 with no changes was Guthrie, Simon, Hunter, Tillman and Bergesen. Duquette traded two inconsequential players for Eveland based on some sort of recommendation from the staff that he could be depth if the worst case scenario panned out.

If Matusz came into camp out of shape again, we hadn't signed Chen, if Arrieta and Britton weren't healthy (Britton STILL is not), then Eveland is an easy #3 in the Orioles rotation. So yes, it makes PERFECT SENSE why it happened in DECEMBER. If they had traded for him last week only to cut him then I'd agree with you. In hindsight it was a depth move for the worst case scenario. Thankfully Matusz looks good, Chen looks good, Arrieta looks good, Hunter looks good, Hammel looks good. We don't need Eveland anymore and we can't reassign him. Therefore, he's out and we're out two players of no consequence to this organization. END OF STORY.

It was a mistake in retrospect because the Orioles could have found depth of the caliber of Eveland off the waiver wire rather than through a trade, but let's not overdo it either. The Orioles didn't give up anything of significance to get him.

...and that "caliber" would have been somebody like Gallaraga, so I'm fine with the trade. If he's not going to start it's better to keep guys like Strop and Patton for the BP at this point. Like Frobby has said, we bought insurance and now we really don't need it. Hopefully he clears and makes it to Norfolk for depth.

It is in hindsight. In December, Matusz looked awful. Arrieta and Britton were hurt. The rotation going into 2012 with no changes was Guthrie, Simon, Hunter, Tillman and Bergesen. Duquette traded two inconsequential players for Eveland based on some sort of recommendation from the staff that he could be depth if the worst case scenario panned out.

If Matusz came into camp out of shape again, we hadn't signed Chen, if Arrieta and Britton weren't healthy (Britton STILL is not), then Eveland is an easy #3 in the Orioles rotation. So yes, it makes PERFECT SENSE why it happened in DECEMBER. If they had traded for him last week only to cut him then I'd agree with you. In hindsight it was a depth move for the worst case scenario. Thankfully Matusz looks good, Chen looks good, Arrieta looks good, Hunter looks good, Hammel looks good. We don't need Eveland anymore and we can't reassign him. Therefore, he's out and we're out two players of no consequence to this organization. END OF STORY.

Its not hindsight by me.

He never should have been traded for. END OF STORY!

Oh, I forgot; not only are you infalliable, you predict the future too. Well, that settles it I guess!

Well, you are having a discussion with me and saying it was hindsight...You are wrong. It wasn't hindsight at all.

My point has been consistent the whole time and yes, its pretty easy to predict the future when dealing with a player like this.

Archived