Steve Johnson Tonight

OFFNY

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess this would be to anyone that has heard from a scout, what don't scouts like about his stuff? He seems to get some K's with reported questionable stuff. Is he a guy that could see a bump in stuff out of the pen like Johnson did?

His stuff just really isn't that great, it's just kinda there. He just knows how to pitch and he battles. Pitching IQ far outweighs his tools, especially when his control is going well. Could see a couple extra mph in RP mode like JJ.

Another option is to bring up Phillips and move Patton into the long relief role that he's fairly well suited for. This also gives Buck two lefties in his pen.

I think I like this best.

I have been thinking of Patton as a long relief/spot SP for a while.

Phillips is a good lefty relief/loogy type IMO. Plus the more lefties the better!

Steve Johnson? He's just now proving he can get AAA hitters out. Besides, he's not on the 40 man roster so a corresponding move would have to be made. If you really want a long man that bad, bring up Berken who's on the 40 man. Some have mentioned Eveland but he's starter insurance and if he's brought up can't be sent down again without risk. Bergesen has stunk so he's not really an option either. Pomeranz has been stretched out to 3 innings at AA and has been dominant. He's also not on the 40 man. He might be an option down the road. Right now, if a long man is needed it looks like Berken to me.

At the same time, I think we have enough depth in the bullpen, and would have even more with a suitable replacement for Gregg, that we can afford to let some of these guys go 2IP and lose them for a day or two. Remember, tomorrow is an off day and Ayala, Lindstrom, Johnson, Patton, will all have had plenty enough rest going into Tuesday's game. I don't think anyone has been overworked to this point.

I agree with this completely. Steve Johnson had a rough time of it when we first promoted him from AA-Bowie to AAA-Norfolk last season.

He just seems to be settling in with the Tides now.

And with the 5 starters that we already have up in Baltimore, plus Britton, Eveland, and Berken all waiting in the wings, there is no reason to rush the kid, just as he is getting confident here (in AAA).

He was released. If you'd like, you can PM Tony, and he can fill you in on any details (Tony, my apologies in advance if my suggestion to PM you is presumptuous).

Knowing SG I think I can probably guess. But even if he was a bit brash at times, he brought alot to this site and hope this is only temporary.

Thanks, Jonesy. :)

STEVE JOHNSON (April 27th)

IP:. 7

H:o 4

R:O 2

BB: 1

SO: 7

Pitches: 93 (62 Strikes, 31 Balls)

2012 ERA: 2.38

Guys,

Be very careful here. Someone may start paying attention to Steve's outings. They may have to admit he is pretty good. Adjusted well to AAA hitters after his first 3 starts last year, had a great Fall League and a great spring. Now he's doing it again. It must be the ball park. Oh wait, his numbers are better away. I'll find a reason to discount it. Give him another start. Just kidding. He is doing well. hope he can keep it up.

Guys,

Be very careful here. Someone may start paying attention to Steve's outings. They may have to admit he is pretty good. Adjusted well to AAA hitters after his first 3 starts last year, had a great Fall League and a great spring. Now he's doing it again. It must be the ball park. Oh wait, his numbers are better away. I'll find a reason to discount it. Give him another start. Just kidding. He is doing well. hope he can keep it up.

His stuff just isn't that good...but hey atleast Tillman is throwing 95. ;-)

Keep it up SJ.

Guys,

His father said he has a new split finger pitch this year. Supposedly it makes a great deal of difference. Steve was real good in the Major League camp this spring.

His father said he has a new split finger pitch this year. Supposedly it makes a great deal of difference. Steve was real good in the Major League camp this spring.

This is up in the Field of Weams

It's just a picture I took and some recollections on some chat's I had with Steve and His Dad.

Archived