Tillman Tonight

OFFNY

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think everyone understands where you're coming from on this. It's reasonable. I still disagree.

BTW, I take it from your scouting report that you've watched him this year, in MiLB games?

I certainly saw two plus pitches. He was far superior to dicek. Maybe three.

Excellent to hear. Still have hopes he can put it together. I'm going to try to go back and watch this game tonight.
Do the the MiL games come with the Premium MLB.tv package?

RVA - please contradict my report, if you watch. I actually figured out my MiLB situation and here's what I saw:

1. FB still flat/straight, but easy velocity that actually got stronger as the game went on. Sitting 93-95 in the eight inning. Some foul balls, but very little solid contact off of it. I don't think the gun was hot, as Dice-K was at 90 or so.

2. Sole hit was a liner up the middle for a single.

3. Command still somewhat spotty on his FB, but he appeared to get low when he wanted to and he was working in-and-out of a relatively neutral-to-ungenerous strike zone. That said, he still zoned in on low-and-away on his FB, for the most part, only occasionally trying to come in under the hands or go up in the zone (intentionally, not from over-throwing).

4. Threw what appeared to be four other pitches (besides his FB), but heavily relied upon FB/curve. He threw a big-breaking, 11-5 curve in the mid-to-upper 70s, a slider-like, harder curve in the 80s, a cutter/SL (looked more like a cutter), and very few change-ups, that I saw. He didn't locate the cutter well, but it was relatively effective. He used the curve in two ways: as a change-of-pace off his FB and burying it in the dirt for a third strike.

5. His motion still isn't smooth, but it's not effortful, either. [Edit to add: it appeared to me that there was some deception to it, as well. Hitters were way-late on a number of pitches. Early on, I thought this might be the sun/shadow, but it got progressively more frequent after dark.] His velocity looks very real.

6. He started off slowly, w/ somewhat diminished velo and command, but got better inning-by-inning.

7. No loud outs.

The pawsox were only shut out twice this year. Chris retired the final 17 that he faced in order. A totally visually dominating. Performance as well as statistically. Romero looks OK as well.

Including striking out 5 straight batters in the 7th and 8th innings.

I think everyone understands where you're coming from on this. It's reasonable. I still disagree.

BTW, I take it from your scouting report that you've watched him this year, in MiLB games?

Yes, I have the Chris Tillman package at Harbor Park. Make the 5hr trip every time he starts at home.:rolleyestf:. WHo's being the douche now??

Everything in his stats and boxscores tell me he's the same pitcher he was 2 years ago, except for the velocity increase which isreally the only reason why I even have hope for him as a RP. If he's sitting 96 in the 5th inning than it's logical to assume he could be 97-98 in an inning or two inning spurts. That pure velocity with a focus on commanding it for an inning at a time gives me hope it can be an "out" pitch or bread and butter pitch. I should have used out pitch instead of plus pitch. Obviously, he has some good raw stuff as I said in the last post.

Yes, I have the Chris Tillman package at Harbor Park. Make the 5hr trip every time he starts at home.:rolleyestf:. WHo's being the douche now??

Everything in his stats and boxscores tell me he's the same pitcher he was 2 years ago, except for the velocity increase which isreally the only reason why I even have hope for him as a RP. If he's sitting 96 in the 5th inning than it's logical to assume he could be 97-98 in an inning or two inning spurts. That pure velocity with a focus on commanding it for an inning at a time gives me hope it can be an "out" pitch or bread and butter pitch. I should have used out pitch instead of plus pitch. Obviously, he has some good raw stuff as I said in the last post.

He's been on MiLBTV multiple times. It's an entirely legitimate question.

If you think looking at box score results tells you what you need to know about someone going through mechanical adjustments under a new pitching instructor (particularly one who focuses on biomechanics like Peterson) then I'm not sure why we're even discussing this. [i mean, you said he didn't have a plus/out pitch "right now"! How are you defining "now" w/o having watched any MiLB starts?] In fact, I'm not sure why we're discussing it anyway, at this point.

I went back and watched the game. You should do the same. Unless you care more about an entrenched opinion than being informed.

RVA - please contradict my report, if you watch. I actually figured out my MiLB situation and here's what I saw:

1. FB still flat/straight, but easy velocity that actually got stronger as the game went on. Sitting 93-95 in the eight inning. Some foul balls, but very little solid contact off of it. I don't think the gun was hot, as Dice-K was at 90 or so.

2. Sole hit was a liner up the middle for a single.

3. Command still somewhat spotty on his FB, but he appeared to get low when he wanted to and he was working in-and-out of a relatively neutral-to-ungenerous strike zone. That said, he still zoned in on low-and-away on his FB, for the most part, only occasionally trying to come in under the hands or go up in the zone (intentionally, not from over-throwing).

4. Threw what appeared to be four other pitches (besides his FB), but heavily relied upon FB/curve. He threw a big-breaking, 11-5 curve in the mid-to-upper 70s, a slider-like, harder curve in the 80s, a cutter/SL (looked more like a cutter), and very few change-ups, that I saw. He didn't locate the cutter well, but it was relatively effective. He used the curve in two ways: as a change-of-pace off his FB and burying it in the dirt for a third strike.

5. His motion still isn't smooth, but it's not effortful, either. [Edit to add: it appeared to me that there was some deception to it, as well. Hitters were way-late on a number of pitches. Early on, I thought this might be the sun/shadow, but it got progressively more frequent after dark.] His velocity looks very real.

6. He started off slowly, w/ somewhat diminished velo and command, but got better inning-by-inning.

7. No loud outs.

That's a pretty nice scouting report.

For me, it's all about whether Tillman can develop a consistent set of mechanics that allow him to be effective most of the time. This guy has pitched a ton of low-hit games in the majors and in AAA since 2009. But he's also pitched a ton of lousy games. I'd be happier if I felt he could give us a reasonably good game 3 out of every 4 starts, even if the 3 good games weren't as spectacular as several that he has thrown.

He's been on MiLBTV multiple times. It's an entirely legitimate question.

If you think looking at box score results tells you what you need to know about someone going through mechanical adjustments under a new pitching instructor (particularly one who focuses on biomechanics like Peterson) than I'm not sure why we're even discussing this. In fact, I'm not sure why we're discussing it anyway, at this point.

I went back and watched the game. You should do the same. Unless you care more about an entrenched opinion than being informed.

Legit question eh?? Yeah, you really phrased it as a legit question. No condescension in your tone at all.

The results are the same. I'll refer back to post #65 and #73 in that regard. Yes, I have an entrenched opinion of TIllman at this point. He needs to prove to me otherwise, and yes, he can start to do that without me watching any of his games. I want to see him start getting deeper in games, limiting his pitch count, lower his BBs and become more consistent from start to start.

Archived