Tillman Tonight

OFFNY

Glad Tillman is pitching well but he almost pitched a no hitter against the Rangers so this needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

No. No way. He's clearly destined for MLB greatness. In Baltimore or somewhere else.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glad Tillman is pitching well but he almost pitched a no hitter against the Rangers so this needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Considering our pitching woes, I might weight it a little more heavily than that, but I get your point.

Considering our pitching woes, I might weight it a little more heavily than that, but I get your point.

Everyone understands that point. We don't need counsel from Sean (or anyone) about being realistic re: Tillman.

Honest question with those of you preaching patience with Tillman as a SP??? Whats the difference between him and David Hernandez?? A guy who a lot of people were seemingly ready to move to the pen before he even made a ML start. Is it only because Tillman was once a top 30 prospect?? I see two pitchers who are similar in that both struggled to pitch multiple times through an order and get deep into games at the ML level. Both have very similar K/9 and BB/9 rates at the minor league level and as a SP in the bigs.

Honest question with those of you preaching patience with Tillman as a SP??? Whats the difference between him and David Hernandez?? A guy who a lot of people were seemingly ready to move to the pen before he even made a ML start. Is it only because Tillman was once a top 30 prospect?? I see two pitchers who are similar in that both struggled to pitch multiple times through an order and get deep into games at the ML level. Both have very similar K/9 and BB/9 rates at the minor league level and as a SP in the bigs.

Stuff.

BTW, no one here is preaching patience. Some of us just have it. Most understand why others have gotten frustrated and don't think it's worth their time.

I made an assessment of Tillman a long time ago, and I'm patient because I believe there remains a (decent) chance I'll be proven correct. I know that others probably have less patience because they're less familiar with being proven correct. ;)

Stuff.

I disagree. Hernandez had/has very good stuff. Granted it was only two pitches with the fastball/slider but can we honestly say that TIllman's best pitches are as good as Hernandez's 2 pitches. I'll grant you Tillman has a 3rd and 4th pitch with a change and cutter/slider but he's very inconsistent and usually ineffective with both pitches.

I disagree. Hernandez had/has very good stuff. Granted it was only two pitches with the fastball/slider but can we honestly say that TIllman's best pitches are as good as Hernandez's 2 pitches. I'll grant you Tillman has a 3rd and 4th pitch with a change and cutter/slider but he's very inconsistent and usually ineffective with both pitches.

Hernandez had two pitches that flashed plus and no workable third pitch. He also struggled to repeat and command both. That's a different profile from Tillman, who has three-to-four pitches, each of which (when he's right) has the potential to be average or better. (That's what I meant by stuff.) And you answered your own question.

Honest question with those of you preaching patience with Tillman as a SP???

I haven't heard any preaching. Just a bunch of O's fans that are very surprised and happy that Tillman is pitching well again at the AAA level, and that he may eventually get another chance (is some capacity) with the Orioles.

Stuff.

BTW, no one here is preaching patience. Some of us just have it. Most understand why others have gotten frustrated and don't think it's worth their time.

I made an assessment of Tillman a long time ago, and I'm patient because I believe there remains a (decent) chance I'll be proven correct. I know that others probably have less patience because they're less familiar with being proven correct. ;)

Well, we are usually on the same side and, to be quite blunt, usually correct. We disagree here and while I understand your stubborness your very unlikely to find yourself being proven correct.

Well, we are usually on the same side and, to be quite blunt, usually correct. We disagree here and while I understand your stubborness your very unlikely to find yourself being proven correct.

That was a joke. It is true, though, that I get invested in my assessments and am slow to give them up. I think that's true of many on here, but at least I admit it.

That said, I explained the difference between the two above (to the best of my ability), which is really the only relevant part of the discussion.

Hernandez had two pitches that flashed plus and no workable third pitch. He also struggled to repeat and command both. That's a different profile from Tillman, who has three-to-four pitches, each of which (when he's right) has the potential to be average or better. (That's what I meant by stuff.) And you answered your own question.

Thats no different than TIllman with any of his pitches really. I mean can you really say Tillman is able to command even his fastball??

We agree that TIllman has a few more worakable pitches which if that's your argument for keeping him in the rotation has some validity. He has enough issues trying to get 2 pitches figured out, let alone his 3rd and 4th pitches. I just think if TIllman were to focus on dialing up the fastball, working on commanding it and the curve/slurve or whatever it is he is throwing now he'll have a good shot at making a successful transition to the pen.

Archived