Tillman Tonight

OFFNY

Faster or slower?

I've watched two-and-a-half starts, at this point. In one, he was sitting 93-94 by the 8th inning, in another, he started at 89-91 and finished at 92-94, and last night (when there was little info about velocity, but he seemed to be sitting 91-92 in pretty terrible conditions).

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I gave up on Tillman two years ago. I've never seen anyone with a fastball with so little movement, and there is nothing in his recent Major or Minor League career to indicate that he's anything more than an up/down guy.

Have you watched him lately? Because it is not an accurate assessment of what I have seen in person and on MiLBTV. Also the fastball is four to five miles per hour faster than what you saw when you gave up on him. He pitched yesterday in the pouring rain, even worse than Kevin Gausman last Saturday.

I've watched two-and-a-half starts, at this point. In one, he was sitting 93-94 by the 8th inning, in another, he started at 89-91 and finished at 92-94, and last night (when there was little info about velocity, but he seemed to be sitting 91-92 in pretty terrible conditions).

I have also watched those and other less impressive starts and I do not feel that he is the same "confused on the mound" guy that some are referring to. His work with Peterson seems to have addressed a few of his weaknesses. He certainly has much better core strength and repeat-ability to his delivery.

Have you watched him lately? Because it is not an accurate assessment of what I have seen in person and on MiLBTV. Also the fastball is four to five miles per hour faster than what you saw when you gave up on him. He pitched yesterday in the pouring rain, even worse than Kevin Gausman last Saturday.

Gausman didn't pitch in the rain until the 3rd inning, and then it stopped after about two innings.

Gausman didn't pitch in the rain until the 3rd inning, and then it stopped after about two innings.

The rain was less impactful than the sloppy mound, maybe, but it rained more frequently than that (even if you couldn't tell on tv).

I want to be clear, I would never predict success for Tillman at the MLB level. I'm hopeful. I see some reason for optimism and lingering reason for concern. I hope he gets a chance. And, for his (and our) sake, hope he pitches well.

Why did he only throw 88 pitches? This would've been a good chance to go 7...

WEAMS mentioned in the game thread that it could possibly be because we may be considering bringing him up to the Orioles for his next start, hence, to conserve his energy for that day, if and when it happens. :)

WEAMS mentioned in the game thread that it could possibly be because we may be considering bringing him up to the Orioles for his next start, hence, to conserve his energy for that day, if and when it happens. :)

No insider information, just watched him cruise and saw how he was handled. An easy, wonderfully pitched outting. No need to stretch him out in a came that was clearly in hand.

No insider information, just watched him cruise and saw how he was handled. An easy, wonderfully pitched outing. No need to stretch him out in a came that was clearly in hand.

Technically, not ........ but it's like the elephant in the room for anyone that has been watching Tillman pitch and/or paying attention to his pitching line for his last 5 or 6 AAA starts. :)

Technically, not ........ but it's like the elephant in the room for anyone that has been watching Tillman pitch and/or paying attention to his pitching line for his last 5 or 6 AAA starts. :)

Ok. I see your point. I think they wanted to keep his pitch count right where it was. I believe that the people who count have not had the concerns about his ability to go deep in a AAA game. They have had him working on things and I think he may have passed his test.

Ok. I see your point. I think they wanted to keep his pitch count right where it was. I believe that the people who count have not had the concerns about his ability to go deep in a AAA game. They have had him working on things and I think he may have passed his test.

OK thanks, Weams. If he does get promoted before his next start, I expect to hear it from YOU first. :laughlol: :)

Archived