vs. RED SOX 5/04

OFFNY

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
96% humidity -- wow are they gonna get good wood off the ball tonight.

I can see why many less meteorologically inclined fans are confused on this, because many of the broadcasters are confused and pass on bad information. Humidity doesn't help batted balls travel -- it slows them down. Think about it: You know a batted ball doesn't travel as well through rain or mist. Humidity is also moisture -- it just hasn't condensed into droplets. At the other extreme, you know a batted ball gets a big boost from dry air -- as in Arizona or Denver.

I think where many have become confused is that HEAT does help balls travel -- heat rises, lifting flying baseballs with it. But heat and humidity are very different things. If you want to hit the ball out of the park, you want dry heat, not humidity! You don't get dry heat in the Eastern U.S. very often, but for normal summer weather around these parts, heat is the friend of the long ball but not humidity, which slows it down!

I can see why many less meteorologically inclined fans are confused on this, because many of the broadcasters are confused and pass on bad information. Humidity doesn't help batted balls travel -- it slows them down. Think about it: You know a batted ball doesn't travel as well through rain or mist. Humidity is also moisture -- it just hasn't condensed into droplets. At the other extreme, you know a batted ball gets a big boost from dry air -- as in Arizona or Denver.

I think where many have become confused is that HEAT does help balls travel -- heat rises, lifting flying baseballs with it. But heat and humidity are very different things. If you want to hit the ball out of the park, you want dry heat, not humidity! You don't get dry heat in the Eastern U.S. very often, but for normal summer weather around these parts, heat is the friend of the long ball but not humidity, which slows it down!

165 posts in 6-plus years.

Quality over quantity. :)

I think Gregg, o day, and lindstrom will probably be the main candidates.

I don't know why Buck hasn't used Gregg more. Give him a chance to show what he can do in the middle innings, when we've still got 12+ outs to work with. So even if he does give up something, we can still recoup instead of having him serve up the walk-off win in the bottom of the ninth or extras.

If we have to use Gregg, use him immediately following the starter, unless the starter leaves in an ugly situation like bases loaded no outs. If the starter finishes his last inning then you send Gregg out next. Let him put some men on base, maybe record an out or two, and give him the hook.

I don't know why Buck hasn't used Gregg more. Give him a chance to show what he can do in the middle innings, when we've still got 12+ outs to work with. So even if he does give up something, we can still recoup instead of having him serve up the walk-off win in the bottom of the ninth or extras.

If we have to use Gregg, use him immediately following the starter, unless the starter leaves in an ugly situation like bases loaded no outs. If the starter finishes his last inning then you send Gregg out next. Let him put some men on base, maybe record an out or two, and give him the hook.

I think that you don't agree with Buck not using Gregg more, as you just explained. But do you honestly not know why he isn't using him more?

Archived