Xavier Avery

luismatos4prez

I like the idea of having someone that can steal a base (other then Johnson) and play some defense in the outfield on the bench. Hopefully Reimold or Chavez comes back fairly quickly and they can send Avery back down.

It makes sense, I just never would have guessed those crazy guys would have this up their sleeves.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this move. He may not be quite ready, but that is baseball. When opportunity knocks, you gotta answer.

He provides defense and speed (that we have none of).

Anything with the bat is a plus. I have a feeling about this kid, not sure why...

I like the idea of having someone that can steal a base (other then Johnson) and play some defense in the outfield on the bench. Hopefully Reimold or Chavez comes back fairly quickly and they can send Avery back down.

Chavez can take his time, no rush:)

I bet Chavez goes on one long rehab assignment.

I also agree with RZNJ......not a huge fan of calling him up to face James Shields.

Maybe he will just be called up for tomorrow and will sit on the bench as potential replacement on the basepath or defensive sub in the late innings and then will get his start Monday against the Yankees.

I'd much prefer that to throwing him into the lions den against James Shields although I guess if you bat him 9th and Andino 1st that wouldn't be a bad 9-1 combo as far as speed goes.

Will be very interested to see what the lineup card looks like tomorrow.

Not a huge fan of the move. I'd rather just leave Avery in AAA to continue developing. There isn't all that much that Avery can provide right now that Flaherty can't.

Strongly disagree here. Plus D in the OF and blazing speed. He offers a lot of things that Flaherty doesn't. They are good players to have for the IF and OF.

Strongly disagree here. Plus D in the OF and blazing speed. He offers a lot of things that Flaherty doesn't. They are good players to have for the IF and OF.

Does Avery have plus D? I know he is fast but it seems I have always read he takes poor routes. Admittedly, I haven't seen him play and am willing to be educated to the contrary.

Good point - Avery as a pinch runner off the bench in a tie ball game could be troubling to opponents.

Does Avery have plus D? I know he is fast but it seems I have always read he takes poor routes. Admittedly, I haven't seen him play and am willing to be educated to the contrary.

He has appeared tohave become a good center fielder. When I saw him this spring, he made some great athletic plays.

Good point - Avery as a pinch runner off the bench in a tie ball game could be troubling to opponents.

Yep. this is a team that has been in 22 games already (out of only 34 total games) which have been decided by 3 runs or less. Having a guy who is 8 for 8 in steals - even just brings the possibility of that - could be helpful.

Archived