Tillman

whynot38

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris hasn't been consistent in his career. I'm the first to agree with that. However, I see a much different pitcher than I used to see. I'd guess his results since he has been up this season are at least as consistent as the average ML starter. No way he recovers from that first inning to pitch 4 scoreless, sick, with no FB command prior to this year. I wonder how long until some of us start to give him at least some grudging respect for the work he has put in and the toughness he seems to be displaying? I've yet to see that toughness in Arrieta. He folds up whenever things get dicey. Anyway, I digress.

Good post, but this parts the best. Yes, Arrieta folds. Tillman showed something tonight, it was impressive to hang in there after a disasterous first inning.

Isn't that what a maturing pitcher supposed to do? Figure out "I've got no FB command, but a pretty decent curve and cutter so I'll throw them a lot more tonight"? For all the ragging on him, I saw a guy who is supposedly sick managing to give us five innings with virtually no fastball command or velocity. Count me as impressed with him tonight.

Nova gave up a 5-0 lead by giving up 7, then 1 and another 1 in five innings. In other words, what he did was much more unforgivable. Anybody ever think that maybe this whole trying to summarize a pitcher using a couple words isn't really appropriate? Pitching is hard and every game is a new day.

Chris hasn't been consistent in his career. I'm the first to agree with that. However, I see a much different pitcher than I used to see. I'd guess his results since he has been up this season are at least as consistent as the average ML starter. No way he recovers from that first inning to pitch 4 scoreless, sick, with no FB command prior to this year. I wonder how long until some of us start to give him at least some grudging respect for the work he has put in and the toughness he seems to be displaying? I've yet to see that toughness in Arrieta. He folds up whenever things get dicey. Anyway, I digress.

Needless to say, I agree. But you'll get plenty of but how can we trust Chris Tillman with his track-record and yeah, and you guys told us Chris Tillman was so great but 5 IP 4 ER is not so great if you ask me responses to this.

It'll be interesting to see what Chris says postgame re: his velocity, but I stick by my much-maligned statement in the Hammel-Chen-Tillman-Britton-Gonzalez thread that Tillman's floor is about a 4.50-4.75 ERA guy and his ceiling is much higher than that.

EDIT: And Moose, I'm liking my chances in our bet. :D

EDIT2: His use of his slider has been a significant development in the last two starts (perhaps a bit improvised, seeing that his FB wasn't as efficacious.). He got 2 of his 4 Ks on the slider today.

... guy who is supposedly sick managing to give us five innings with virtually no fastball command or velocity. Count me as impressed with him tonight.

I see a much different pitcher than I used to see. I'd guess his results since he has been up this season are at least as consistent as the average ML starter. No way he recovers from that first inning to pitch 4 scoreless, sick, with no FB command prior to this year. I wonder how long until some of us start to give him at least some grudging respect for the work he has put in and the toughness he seems to be displaying? I've yet to see that toughness in Arrieta. He folds up whenever things get dicey.

I watched Buck talk to Chris after the fifth. It seemed to be a pretty proud moment for Buck and Chris was very disappointed to be done. The kid is becoming a warrior.

EDIT: And Moose, I'm liking my chances in our bet. :D

We went back and forth so much, I actually forget what the bet was.

Still plenty of starts left, let's see how the league adjusts to him. I'm not sold, small sample size and all that. But he has improved, there's no doubt about that.

We went back and forth so much, I actually forget what the bet was.

Still plenty of starts left, let's see how the league adjusts to him. I'm not sold, small sample size and all that. But he has improved, there's no doubt about that.

I think we first went with ERA+ 100 but then saw the pitfalls in that, then I suggested something like ERA of 4.35 or that I'd even accept 4.25, then you felt confident and said we'll go with 4.50, and I didn't argue.

Let's go with 4.25. I'm feeling generous, and 4.25 is more interesting than 4.50. Maybe if those runs against Minnesota had been earned I'd say 4.50. :D

EDIT: Also, I will be thousands of miles away from Baltimore well before our "bet" is decided so there's absolutely no real risk of us either having to suffer any real expense. But it will be fun to talk about regardless.

I read it the same play. Buck looked really proud of him. Chris looked like he wanted to run through another wall. Good stuff...

His arsenal is definitely a throw-back: 92-94MPH fastball (usually), 76-78 MPH curve, 81-82 MPH change, 83 MPH cutter/slider. I mean, for now, he's getting away with less than stellar command because he speeds and slows bats down. If (if if if if) he starts commanding better, he'll be very tough. Regardless, it's an MLB arsenal right now.

His arsenal is definitely a throw-back: 92-94MPH fastball (usually), 76-78 MPH curve, 81-82 MPH change, 83 MPH cutter/slider. I mean, for now, he's getting away with less than stellar command because he speeds and slows bats down. If (if if if if) he starts commanding better, he'll be very tough. Regardless, it's an MLB arsenal right now.

I agree. It's an MLB arsenal. Point blank, he can struggle with fastball command. But it is kind of impressive that he has the best fastball, change and curve on the team.

I think we first went with ERA+ 100 but then saw the pitfalls in that, then I suggested something like ERA of 4.35 or that I'd even accept 4.25, then you felt confident and said we'll go with 4.50, and I didn't argue.

Let's go with 4.25. I'm feeling generous, and 4.25 is more interesting than 4.50. Maybe if those runs against Minnesota had been earned I'd say 4.50. :D

EDIT: Also, I will be thousands of miles away from Baltimore well before our "bet" is decided so there's absolutely no real risk of us either having to suffer any real expense. But it will be fun to talk about regardless.

4.25 it is. I don't mind paypalling the amount of a 6er of your choice. A bets a bet :)

Archived