Tillman

whynot38

Great recovery by Tillman tonight. His guys picked him up after a rough first inning and Tillman showed alot of mental toughness out there. Let's hope this is what he needs to get on a roll and help him solidify a spot in this rotation from here on out. And while we're at it, let's go get the damn sweep tomorrow afternoon! :beerchug1:

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buck confirmed he was really sick. Said they weren't even sure he'd make the start. Both Tillman and Buck definitely made it out to be a scratch-and-claw night for him. Helps to explain the velocity.

Feeling really good about Tillman going forward. I think he'll get back to 92-95 when healthy.

This guy's a warrior. I can see now why the org seemed so high on him in AAA even when he wasnt getting the initial results. He looks totally different than he did before this year- he really bulked up and looks and sounds about 5 years older. This could be the real deal.

CHRIS TILLMAN O(vs. MARINERS 8/05)

IP:O 7.33

H:o. 5

R:O. 1

BB:. 1

SO:. 5

Pitches: 99 (68 Strikes, 31 Balls)

2012 ERA: 2.38

TILLMAN BY INNINGS

12 *

* Tillman retired 1 batter in the 8th inning before departing.

This guy's a warrior. I can see now why the org seemed so high on him in AAA even when he wasnt getting the initial results. He looks totally different than he did before this year- he really bulked up and looks and sounds about 5 years older. This could be the real deal.

If Tillman can continue to pitch well and Arrieta gets straightened out then Rick Peterson gets my vote for best offseason move by DD. Hammel, Chen etc were nice moves but getting Tillman and Arrieta back on path to being productive young pitchers would have a big impact for this organization. It lets you take your time with Bundy and Gaussman, it creates assets that could bring back a good return at a key time down the road.

We give Peterson a lot of credit, But Chris worked real hard with Brady and he really respects Matt Wieters. I hope this trend continues with him.

I gave Tillman a lot of grief in the game thread early on because we've seen him totally implode at Yankee Stadium before and I'm just so sick of the cavalry guys being so inconsistent.

But now that we know he was sick, and the with the way that he bounced back, I'm definitely impressed. However, if the O's hadn't been able to score runs, we're all talking about him spotting the Yanks 5 runs. Either way, I'm glad he found a way to put up zeroes and I hope he's back to form in the next one.

No offense, Dan-O (and I mean that), but don't you do this with Tillman pretty constantly, often w/o sufficient information to conclude anything? Maybe holding off on your conclusions until you've actually seen something play out is a legitimate alternative course of action going forward?

You're right, I do! I really get on Tillman's case and fully admit that. He frustrates me more than any of the cavalry. I do acknowledge the talent is there because I've seen it. Just like we've seen it with Matusz and Arrieta and Britton.

I'm definitely willing to scratch off any notion that Tillman is "scared to pitch in NY" - I think we've seen that's not the case. He is inconsistent, though, and if his fastball is off, it gets hit hard. But I'm rooting like hell for the kid because he's young and has good stuff and we need him to be good.

Anyway - I'll readily admit that my frustration boils over in my posts when it comes to these young pitchers because it just seems like we can't develop one that is consistently good. But it's fair enough to say I don't always have sufficient information, and your point is duly noted!

I'm really not trying to give you a hard time. In fact, you're better than many, who come running whenever Tillman falters to rub it in the face of those who've advocated patience and opportunity for Chris. Those posts are really the worst. I'll never understand them.

I'm really not trying to give you a hard time. In fact, you're better than many, who come running whenever Tillman falters to rub it in the face of those who've advocated patience and opportunity for Chris. Those posts are really the worst. I'll never understand them.

Sometimes I'm really grateful that the players don't read the Orioles Hangout boards (I think they don't, anyway). If Tillman did, I think that he may have just packed it in and quit baseball by now.

Sometimes I'm really grateful that the players don't read the Orioles Hangout boards (I think they don't, anyway). If Tillman did, I think that he may have just packed it in and quit baseball by now.

Na. Chris won't quit baseball. And he knows about this place.

This place is lollypops and rainbows compared to most of the baseball sites comments sections.

This place is lollypops and rainbows compared to most of the baseball sites comments sections.

That's true. Almost all of the public sites (Baltimore Sun, NY Daily News, Boston Globe, Boston Herald, Chicago Tribune, etc.) are cesspools.

Archived