vs. TAMPA BAY RAYS 7/24

OFFNY

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha, leading the majors in walks is suddenly part of "manufacturing runs"? How things change. :D

The Rays could be hitting .150 w/ RISP and announcers would still be saying "they're manufacturing runs". It's just one of those cliches that's become so associated with a team that announcers say it automatically...which, actually, isn't much different from anything else Gary Thorne or Jim Hunter says. :D

Love the way Chen is mixing up his pitches today. His 90-93 FB gets a huge bump when he's consistently mixing in his change and curve.

EDIT: Damn! Just as I say that he throws about as hittable a curve as you can throw.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Ha.  Let me guess.  Ryan Mountcastle and Kyle Stowers.  😀
    • Kiley McDaniel newest mock has us taking college SS Kaelen Culpepper. Mentions that we are considered to be the floor with Carson Benge, but he goes to Milwaukee at 17 (who Kiley says is “all over” him). Also lists Kellon Lindsey, Dakota Jordan, Vance Honeycutt as guys we’ve been “mentioned” with, as well as Brody Brecht. Says we appear to be “shooting for upside.”
    • JD Martinez would be nice right now. I know I wasnt the only one who wanted him
    • What you just named are a bunch of guys with poor approaches…so I wouldn’t expect them to be reliable in any situation. I mean, Mounty and Santander can certainly get scorching hot and Mullins and Hays have been good players in the past but none of them are guys you feel confident in unless they get a hit. For all the grief we gave guys like Hicks and Frazier last year, they had good approaches and would take good at bats, even when they were sucking. They didn’t do much with anything most of the time but you at least felt good about them giving you a good at bat most of the time.  That’s why I think Cowser will eventually be really good in these situations. It’s why I think Adley is good in them…same with Gunnar.  Same with Holliday when he gets up here  But players with poor approaches who like to go fishing a lot?  It’s just not going to work out for them in the long run.
    • It did need to be pointed out though. 24 year old at high A is no great feat. Basallo is at double A 5 years younger. Sometimes you have to swallow your pride and look around for help. I would continue to try to poach coaches and scouts from great organization at developing pitching. The Pirates already had Skenes and Jones come up. They have 2 kids in Harrington and Chandler coming soon. They have invested in pitching and now are set for the future barring injury.
    • It was 6-9 last year as well IIRC.
    • It’s okay.  It’s a “Phil” thing.  Have you ever noticed any poster with the name “Phil” all have something else in common?   🙂
  • Popular Contributors