vs. TAMPA BAY RAYS 7/24

OFFNY

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only seen them on TV but does anybody else think the statues of Frank Robinson and Palmer make them look shorter and less powerful than they were? Palmer didn't look impressed at all when the statue was unveiled. The lifted leg is unnaturally straight and short and even its foot is at a weird right angle to his ankle. Doesn't convey how long, loose, and lanky his windup was. The good photos of Frank always show him with a straight front leg as he strides powerfully and the bat makes contact, but the statue shows him crouched down a little after with the bat down to his side as if he were watching a pop up. The crouch and upward gaze also make him look short and thick.

I like the Weaver statue. I guess the sculptor's better at carving stationery figures--he doesn't seem to understand the dynamism of players in action.

I've only seen them on TV but does anybody else think the statues of Frank Robinson and Palmer make them look shorter and less powerful than they were? Palmer didn't look impressed at all when the statue was unveiled. The lifted leg is unnaturally straight and short and even its foot is at a weird right angle to his ankle. Doesn't convey how long and lanky his windup was. The good photos of Frank always show him with a straight left leg as the bat makes contact, but the status shows him crouched down a little after with the bat down to his side as if he were watching a pop up.

I like the Weaver statue. I guess the sculptor's better at carving stationery figures--he didn't seem to understand the dynamism of players in action.

Go take a look at the statues outside the Nat's park and you will quickly appreciate the O's statues.

Talk about dynamism of players in action...

Go take a look at the statues outside the Nat's park and you will quickly appreciate the O's statues.

Talk about dynamism of players in action...

They already have statues at the Nats' park? Who would that be, Frank Howard? :)

Archived