Least respected owner in MLB: Jeffrey Loria?

OregonBird

Loria somehow manages to convince the City of Miami to build a new stadium, spends some dough building a team that could contend but doesn't turn out that way. After a someone disappointing first half it appears he is throwing in the towel and slashing payroll.

I don't know much about South Florida so I can't say if this is b/c of a profit seeking owner or because South Florida doesn't support baseball. Still, Loria's record speaks for itself.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Loria somehow manages to convince the City of Miami to build a new stadium, spends some dough building a team that could contend but doesn't turn out that way. After a someone disappointing first half it appears he is throwing in the towel and slashing payroll.

I don't know much about South Florida so I can't say if this is b/c of a profit seeking owner or because South Florida doesn't support baseball. Still, Loria's record speaks for itself.

He has a history of pocketing revenue sharing money. The Union came real close to lodging an official complaint a couple years ago, he extended Johnson in response.

There was an article I read a few years ago that basically said that the Marlins management had basically figured out their profit maximization model. In other words, figured out how to field a competitive enough team to spin the turnstiles w/o jeopardizing their slice of the revenue sharing pie. I suppose that is one way to run a baseball franchise.

There was an article I read a few years ago that basically said that the Marlins management had basically figured out their profit maximization model. In other words, figured out how to field a competitive enough team to spin the turnstiles w/o jeopardizing their slice of the revenue sharing pie. I suppose that is one way to run a baseball franchise.

Well Now that the McCourts are gone. Yeah.

Peter Angelos is probably dying to get his hands a hold of how to do that model :D

Not commenting on their recent firesale, but I really like their stadium when we went to Florida in June. Of course, I didn't have to pay to build it, but it was really cool to park just across the street in a parking garage. I've never been able to park so close to a big league ballpark. And it was really cool inside.

I think the Marlins are the most self-destructive franchise in modern American sports. Every single time they give the fans a reason to come out and support them they mow them down with machine guns. Maybe the Miami area isn't a good baseball town, but you'd have a hard time coming up with a better plan to minimize a fanbase than the way that team has been run over the last 15 years.

Angelos is completely inept, but Loria is malevolent.

The late 1890's Spiders (probably):)

The Cleveland organization in the '90s was pretty good, finishing over .500 seven consecutive times and getting as high as 2nd place twice. They collapsed when the St. Lous owners purchased a controlling interest in the Spiders and transferred every decent player to the Cardinals prior to 1899.

But I know what you were saying. :)

Yes, you are free to use # of World Series rings as your sole critiera for judging an organization. Others may have different opinions.

Last time I checked, winning World Series rings was all that matters. Fire sales, so what?

Answer me this, would you trade the Orioles for the Marlins since spring of 1997? I know that there'd be some dark times if we had the Marlins history but at least we'd have some winning seasons, some playoff baseball and some World Series titles to show for it.

Archived