Mark Reynolds just put the umpires on blast. More to come

Greg

As long as there are betting lines on games in baseball there will be no accountability for umpires. If we make them accountable then we have to make pitchers who come into games and blow leads with pitches down the center of the plate to hitter after hitter accountable as well. The pitchers don't have to worry. They have guaranteed contracts and just end up in the fans doghouse or just get a few weeks back down to AAA somewhere and they are back up after a few days or weeks.

The Orioles should be getting more calls since nobody picked them at the beginning of the season. The TV media continues to basically belittle them which works in favor of the betting palaces when the Orioles win. Would you bet on a team nobody thinks is very good if you are an amateur and don't really follow sports closely? You tune into ESPN once in awhile and don't hear much about the Orioles but do hear something negative. The amateur and even someone with some knowledge won't have the Orioles and similar teams on their radar. You can interpret this anyway you want. The professionals like Palmer and Dempsey watch the games and they see blown calls and poor calls behind the plate to hitters. They probably say to themselves....what is going on? The umps are probably doing what they are told. They find a way to make a key decision in almost every game to influence the outcome or keep a team from having a big inning. It's interesting when they do it to the good teams or favorites who are running away with their division or teams who will probably win their division. They pick and choose. Are you going to blow a call in NY against them and hope to make it back to the hotel? No! you do it on the road. They have to do it to the good teams once in awhile so it looks like they don't have an agenda.

So where do we go from here? Just close your eyes, act like it didn't happen and wait for the next game. Let's hope the Orioles get a few calls in some close games and they are still in the wildcard hunt into mid to late September. I'm sure Vegas, AC and similar type places are enjoying the Orioles right now just like we are. They are glad to have them back after 14 years. Many on here probably agree with what I just said and already know this and some don't believe a word I wrote on here and that's fine. It is what it is.

The word probably was not in this post when I first wrote it and I decided I better add it.

The O's are the second best team in MLB to bet on this year at +1896. if you bet $100. on them every game.

http://www.covers.com/pageLoader/pageLoader.aspx?page=/data/mlb/statistics/2012/teammoneystatistics_mlb_regular.html

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tim Timmons (Home plate umpire)

?From when I saw the throw coming across, I knew that the throw was going to pull the first baseman that way. And at that point, that?s when I actually stopped and dropped anchor and looked for the foot. And when I saw the foot come up, the heel and the toe was on the bag. .. At the time he was going to glove the ball, when I saw the bottom of the whole foot and the foot dropped down onto the ground and I had daylight, I had him off the bag.?

To me, this is actually the most damning of what Timmons said. He basically admits that he couldn't see both the foot and the glove catching the ball at the same time. He was just looking at the foot, and guessed at when Reynolds caught the ball. It's truly unbelievable that he would think he could have a better perspective than the 1B ump.

The thing that bugs the hell out of me is, outside of questions over home run vs. ground rule double (even before replay review), can anyone remember the last time the umps REVERSED a call? I've been watching/listening to/following basball for the better part my 34 years and I cannot think of a time where a situation like this went down.

The thing that bugs the hell out of me is, outside of questions over home run vs. ground rule double (even before replay review), can anyone remember the last time the umps REVERSED a call? I've been watching/listening to/following basball for the better part my 34 years and I cannot think of a time where a situation like this went down.

The 1983 pine tar game. Although that wasn't immediately reversed on the field, as was last night's call.

But hey, now baseball announcers can no longer say, "The manager is only coming out to argue to protect his player. He knows that the call won't get changed."

The 1983 pine tar game. Although that wasn't immediately reversed on the field, as was last night's call.

But hey, now baseball announcers can no longer say, "The manager is only coming out to argue to protect his player. He knows that the call won't get changed."

They can still say that if the home plate ump doesn't have money on the game...

Good pull.

But even that was a very clear violation of the rule book. Umps could look at the bat and see the pine tar was too bar up the bat, it was indisputable and not at all the reversal of a judgment call.

It is what it is but man, it sure seems like we've been on the short end of some really egregious mistakes by the umps the last few nights.

Good pull.

But even that was a very clear violation of the rule book. Umps could look at the bat and see the pine tar was too bar up the bat, it was indisputable and not at all the reversal of a judgment call.

It is what it is but man, it sure seems like we've been on the short end of some really egregious mistakes by the umps the last few nights.

Here's one from 2 years ago:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100617&content_id=11304398&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

P.S. Tim McClelland was the crew chief/umpire for that game ... the same Tim McClelland that was the umpire for George Brett's pine tar home run 27 years earlier.

I've been a critic of Reynolds for a while, but I will certainly give him his props for telling it like it is. It'll be interesting to see if this kinda lights a fire under the boys for the rest of the series and beyond. Being the smart a$$ I can be, if I were Reynolds when they hand down the fine I'd send double and inform MLB that I'd be flippin the bill on the next umpires eye examinations.

Here's one from 2 years ago:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100617&content_id=11304398&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

P.S. Tim McClelland was the crew chief/umpire for that game ... the same Tim McClelland that was the umpire for George Brett's pine tar home run 27 years earlier.

OFFNY with the crack research, nice work!!

The bottom line is this, the technology exists to get calls right, so MLB needs to get on the bus. Whether it's manager's challenges, a 5th umpire at every game in the booth or an MLB ump at a control center or hell at the MLB Fan Cave, that can correct these blown calls.

Who knows how Nick's run in the top of the 1st impacts the game? Who knows what affect the extra pitches Hunter had to throw and Reynolds' ejection had on the game? But the point is this that those situations could've been easily, easily avoided.

On the flip side, isn't it really cool that we all care this much on August 18th? :D :2yay-thumb:

I hope that the umpiring staff reviews tape of that play and goes back to Reynolds and Showalter to apologize. It is ok to screw up calls, but you have got to own your mistakes.

Personally I don't think this will ever happen. I like the idea I saw voiced in another thread about the umps bad calls. I say embarrass the hell out of them. Put the video showing the bad call up on the jumbo screen and show it over and over. In between every inning last night I would have been showing the clip of Mark making the catch with his foot on the bag.

Love how the Sox network and the Tigers' announcers were unanimously saying this was completely screwed up by the umps. We have multiple sources with our backs on this one - can't say it's a case of sour grapes over a questionable call.

Personally I don't think this will ever happen. I like the idea I saw voiced in another thread about the umps bad calls. I say embarrass the hell out of them. Put the video showing the bad call up on the jumbo screen and show it over and over. In between every inning last night I would have been showing the clip of Mark making the catch with his foot on the bag.

I don't think that does any good for anyone, except maybe satisfying the fans' bloodlust. The only thing I can really fault the umps for last night was settling on the opinion of the home plate ump when he was probably the 3rd-closest to the play. Otherwise it's a bang-bang play that needs to be sorted out on replay, which they're not allowed to use.

The person who needs to be embarrassed is Czar Bud and his absurd proclamations about how everything is fine, nobody wants replay, nothing to see here...

Archived