Mark Reynolds just put the umpires on blast. More to come

Greg

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have traditionally been a guy who believed that since the players were not infallible, we should accept that the umpires are not infallible, either. However, I feel the quality of umpiring has deteriorated, or perhaps technology has just put a spotlight on how often they are wrong. Either way, I've reached the point of wanting electronic calling of balls and strikes and instant replay of close calls. The players deserve to have the game called right.

Until fairly recently bad calls were mostly unseen, and almost impossible to review quickly and thoroughly enough to do anything about. That's just not true any more. Often, like last night, the only people who weren't sure what actually happened were the folks at the game watching it live. At home we all knew the correct calls within about 30 seconds. Heck, people in the stands with smartphones knew more than the umps and players.

The umps aren't any worse, and I'm convinced they're probably better than ever. But technology is a lot better than ever.

Just same plain accountability for their actions would work, not just adding technology. I mean, I get what you mean about them getting things wrong, but last night was above and beyond just "getting it wrong." It's frustrating, but understandable, for them to get it wrong in the heat of the moment (even though it's their job to get it right). But when they get it right, then bizarrely over turn it...well, that's way different.

And Reynolds should get some assistance from the MLBPA if he gets fines for saying anything for pointing out that when they make mistakes they get benched or sent down, but the umpires can laugh off drastic mistakes that change games.

I don't think increased accountability does anything to help this. In fact, I applaud the umps for getting together and not just trusting the eyes of one person. But they did get it wrong multiple times, mostly because the calls were close enough to be coin flips as to whether they get it right.

To me the issue is that the umps on the field have less information than everyone with access to a screen. Some random guy with a Directv dish in Walla Walla knows more about the game than the first base ump.

You're right, yeah. I don't particularly disagree, but I think that if they want to be neolithic about adding technology, the least they can do is show that they actually do care about the umps blowing these calls now. I mean, Reynolds voiced something we as fans always talk about: MLB umpires don't seem to be particularly worried about getting it wrong. Sometimes they show remorse or regret (the guy who blew the call causing Galarraga the perfect game comes to mind, though obviously not his name), but it's obvious there's no real repercussion for them messing up.

You're right, yeah. I don't particularly disagree, but I think that if they want to be neolithic about adding technology, the least they can do is show that they actually do care about the umps blowing these calls now. I mean, Reynolds voiced something we as fans always talk about: MLB umpires don't seem to be particularly worried about getting it wrong. Sometimes they show remorse or regret (the guy who blew the call causing Galarraga the perfect game comes to mind, though obviously not his name), but it's obvious there's no real repercussion for them messing up.

But these are plays that will be missed some percentage of the time, no matter how good the ump. Jocko Conlan would miss these calls sometimes. You can't punish someone for what amounts to a physical limitation. You don't fine Adam Jones because he's a step too slow on a liner up the gap.

But these are plays that will be missed some percentage of the time, no matter how good the ump. Jocko Conlan would miss these calls sometimes. You can't punish someone for what amounts to a physical limitation. You don't fine Adam Jones because he's a step too slow on a liner up the gap.

It obviously would depend on the situation. Of course you don't if the person is obviously performing up to the best of their ability (like in your example). But what about comparing it to players who aren't running out their grounders for no good reason (I give a pass to dogging it out of frustration every now and then, they're only human), or the fringe player who is sent down because he's just not as good as player 25? Or maybe a better comparison are the guys who get their big payday, then their performance plateaus in short order and they turn in to Roger Dorn, pre Lou Brown. Nothing to be scared of tends to breed "meh, whatcha going to do" behavior. I've already felt that the increased theatrics from umps is partly due to not having to worry about accountability, but when they do something as mind boggling as last night, and then STICK TO IT afterwards when asked...yeah. In a perfect world, we'd get technological assistance, because its obviously there for the taking. But I just want "something." I want MLB to actually stand up about the umpiring for once and say "yeah, we hear you, we see it too, we've got a way to right this ship." That is obviously asking too much of the administration that brought us ASG determining home field, though.

As long as there are betting lines on games in baseball there will be no accountability for umpires. If we make them accountable then we have to make pitchers who come into games and blow leads with pitches down the center of the plate to hitter after hitter accountable as well. The pitchers don't have to worry. They have guaranteed contracts and just end up in the fans doghouse or just get a few weeks back down to AAA somewhere and they are back up after a few days or weeks.

The Orioles should be getting more calls since nobody picked them at the beginning of the season. The TV media continues to basically belittle them which works in favor of the betting palaces when the Orioles win. Would you bet on a team nobody thinks is very good if you are an amateur and don't really follow sports closely? You tune into ESPN once in awhile and don't hear much about the Orioles but do hear something negative. The amateur and even someone with some knowledge won't have the Orioles and similar teams on their radar. You can interpret this anyway you want. The professionals like Palmer and Dempsey watch the games and they see blown calls and poor calls behind the plate to hitters. They probably say to themselves....what is going on? The umps are probably doing what they are told. They find a way to make a key decision in almost every game to influence the outcome or keep a team from having a big inning. It's interesting when they do it to the good teams or favorites who are running away with their division or teams who will probably win their division. They pick and choose. Are you going to blow a call in NY against them and hope to make it back to the hotel? No! you do it on the road. They have to do it to the good teams once in awhile so it looks like they don't have an agenda.

So where do we go from here? Just close your eyes, act like it didn't happen and wait for the next game. Let's hope the Orioles get a few calls in some close games and they are still in the wildcard hunt into mid to late September. I'm sure Vegas, AC and similar type places are enjoying the Orioles right now just like we are. They are glad to have them back after 14 years. Many on here probably agree with what I just said and already know this and some don't believe a word I wrote on here and that's fine. It is what it is.

The word probably was not in this post when I first wrote it and I decided I better add it.

As long as there are betting lines on games in baseball there will be no accountability for umpires. If we make them accountable then we have to make pitchers who come into games and blow leads with pitches down the center of the plate to hitter after hitter accountable as well. The pitchers don't have to worry. They have guaranteed contracts and just end up in the fans doghouse or just get a few weeks back down to AAA somewhere and they are back up after a few days or weeks.

The Orioles should be getting more calls since nobody picked them at the beginning of the season. The TV media continues to basically belittle them which works in favor of the betting palaces when the Orioles win. Would you bet on a team nobody thinks is very good if you are an amateur and don't really follow sports closely? You tune into ESPN once in awhile and don't hear much about the Orioles but do hear something negative. The amateur and even someone with some knowledge won't have the Orioles and similar teams on their radar. You can interpret this anyway you want. The professionals like Palmer and Dempsey watch the games and they see blown calls and poor calls behind the plate to hitters. They probably say to themselves....what is going on? The umps are probably doing what they are told. They find a way to make a key decision in almost every game to influence the outcome or keep a team from having a big inning. It's interesting when they do it to the good teams or favorites who are running away with their division or teams who will probably win their division. They pick and choose. Are you going to blow a call in NY against them and hope to make it back to the hotel? No! you do it on the road. They have to do it to the good teams once in awhile so it looks like they don't have an agenda.

So where do we go from here? Just close your eyes, act like it didn't happen and wait for the next game. Let's hope the Orioles get a few calls in some close games and they are still in the wildcard hunt into mid to late September. I'm sure Vegas, AC and similar type places are enjoying the Orioles right now just like we are. They are glad to have them back after 14 years. Many on here probably agree with what I just said and already know this and some don't believe a word I wrote on here and that's fine. It is what it is.

The word probably was not in this post when I first wrote it and I decided I better add it.

If I didn't know better, I'd think this was a parody.

It's times like this that I want to take the "bad calls are just part of the poetry of baseball, the tragically human element of the American game" people out behind the shed and punch them in the kidneys.
I would bet that if replay/electronic strike zones were implemented, you would not see or hear many people talking about the old days when an ump would blow an important call and cost a game.

Sometimes I think you mistyped when you entered your handle, and it was supposed to be section_8.

I would bet that if replay/electronic strike zones were implemented, you would not see or hear many people talking about the old days when an ump would blow an important call and cost a game.

Ask yourself what the game would be like if you were designing it from scratch today. The suggestion you'd let bad calls stand while everyone watching on TV knew they were wrong would be absurd.

The game brings in $8B in revenues a year, but they won't invest a few million on technology and infrastructure that allows umps to stop guessing on close plays.

Archived