For Those Screaming For Headley

Brendan25

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was widely reported that we could have Arrietta and Matuzs + 1 MiL was the price. No I am not the GM so I have no inside knowledge besides what I read on this board and other news outlets and no I am not going to search for stories from 4 months ago. It looks like you frequent this boad a lot....did you miss those stories?

No, it was reported Arrieta and 2 MiL, the most valuable being a top prospect at Delmarva (who many of us figured was Nick Delmonico). Regardless of whether it was Matusz or Delmonico, it all comes down to Jake Arrieta being the main reason a deal was killed.

The problem is the +1 MiL.

It wasn't Dana Eveland minor league player. It was Nick Delmonico or Schoop. It was a high regarded minor league player. Alot of people look at what you just said, which is true, and they think it was Arrieta + Matusz + a low end minor league guy. It wasn't.

If I remember correctly it wasn't a top 10 prospect either but the last time I checked if you want a proven MLB player you are going to need to give up quantity. I think we value our players too much and we will be lucky if one of Arrieta/Matuzs/Delmonico/Schoop pan out to be the type of player Headley is

Tillman/Hoes/Avery......inclined to take out 1 of Hoes/Avery and add Arrietta.....that IMO would get a deal done. Is it too much? Thats the question.

No chance they ask for Dylan or Manny...they arent stupid and know thats not happening

Why would a team like San Diego (in the midst of their own rebuilding mode) be interested in giving away the brightest star in their organization for Chris Tillman and spare parts? Sorry but the Padres aren't desperate to get rid of this guy. They like him, he's good, and he's cheap. That package might be enough to get someone that an organization is actively shopping around... like A-Rod.

Think back to the beginning of last season when the Orioles still stunk and everyone was thinking about the possibility of trading Adam Jones. If another organization called up without offering their best prospects, would we even entertain the return as large enough? Manny or Dylan are really the starting point. There's no doubt any talks between Baltimore and San Diego start with those two.

If I remember correctly it wasn't a top 10 prospect either but the last time I checked if you want a proven MLB player you are going to need to give up quantity. I think we value our players too much and we will be lucky if one of Arrieta/Matuzs/Delmonico/Schoop pan out to be the type of player Headley is

Headley is coming off a six-win season. The Padres are going to approach any trade talks assuming that he's going to be worth 10-ish wins over his two coming arb seasons. So he's something like a $50M asset, who'll be paid maybe $15M. So his net trade value is roughly +$35M.

There is no way that they're going to trade a plus-$35M guy for a couple relievers/marginal starters, plus a Grade B prospect in A ball. Especially not when the player in question is the Padres' one big homegrown star, their one marketable asset. I just don't see a fit here for the Orioles. Some other team with more of a surplus of prospects will be able to offer more. And that's if the Padres even want to trade him. If I were them I'd build around Headley, rather than using him as trade bait. Unless someone blew me out of the water with an offer.

So are you saying that you would have pulled the trigger on Arrieta, Matusz, Delmonico, and Schoop for Headley?

Would you have if it was Schoop instead of Delmonico?[/quote

At the time I don't think he would have cost us Schoop but he finished the year off strong. I'm not a talent evaluator but I think that Arietta/Matuzs and our #3 prospect is too high but again I think we will be lucky if one of the 3 become and Allstar at their respective positions

Would you have if it was Schoop instead of Delmonico?[/quote

At the time I don't think he would have cost us Schoop but he finished the year off strong. I'm not a talent evaluator but I think that Arietta/Matuzs and our #3 prospect is too high but again I think we will be lucky if one of the 3 become and Allstar at their respective positions

And I think DD does too.

That is why I made this thread. I have seen so many posters just advocate getting Headley, and I think that the Matusz/Arrieta/Schoop price is VERY close to what the Padres wanted. There may be a couple posters on here that woudl make that trade, but I bet that over half of the people that want Headley would reconsider if it was for that price.

Man, some people just always want what they can't have.

The whole idea behind getting Headley was to solve the third base issue...specifically, the lack of defense there.

Well, Machado fixed all that. Our left side of the infield defense is pretty spectacular right now.

So why are people still calling for Headley again?

Man, some people just always want what they can't have.

The whole idea behind getting Headley was to solve the third base issue...specifically, the lack of defense there.

Well, Machado fixed all that. Our left side of the infield defense is pretty spectacular right now.

So why are people still calling for Headley again?

Because they think it would help the team to trade Hardy and then trade for Headley, or to trade for Headley, move Machado to short, and move Hardy to second.

Wanting change jsut for change.

Why would a team like San Diego (in the midst of their own rebuilding mode) be interested in giving away the brightest star in their organization for Chris Tillman and spare parts? Sorry but the Padres aren't desperate to get rid of this guy. They like him, he's good, and he's cheap. That package might be enough to get someone that an organization is actively shopping around... like A-Rod.

Think back to the beginning of last season when the Orioles still stunk and everyone was thinking about the possibility of trading Adam Jones. If another organization called up without offering their best prospects, would we even entertain the return as large enough? Manny or Dylan are really the starting point. There's no doubt any talks between Baltimore and San Diego start with those two.

I think Tillman holds alot more value to SD seeing that he's local, young, cheap and had a stellar yr. I would try to put a deal around him. Then if you look at the age, your getting another young guy who will start in the OF (hoes) and a guy like Avery who could develop into a leadoff guy. Sometimes I wish I could get into the head of a GM and see what they thought of the offer. Would they say "OK we're listening" like I think, or would they say "No chance" like you think. No idea but I wish we knew!

I think Tillman holds alot more value to SD seeing that he's local, young, cheap and had a stellar yr. I would try to put a deal around him. Then if you look at the age, your getting another young guy who will start in the OF (hoes) and a guy like Avery who could develop into a leadoff guy. Sometimes I wish I could get into the head of a GM and see what they thought of the offer. Would they say "OK we're listening" like I think, or would they say "No chance" like you think. No idea but I wish we knew!

So you're saying you'd trade Tillman, Hoes, and Avery for Headley?

It was widely reported that we could have Arrietta and Matuzs + 1 MiL was the price. No I am not the GM so I have no inside knowledge besides what I read on this board and other news outlets and no I am not going to search for stories from 4 months ago. It looks like you frequent this boad a lot....did you miss those stories?

Problem is, I don't think that it was really that widely reported. In my eyes, it was a rumor that caught fire on message boards, this one and others. That's not the same as being reported by Olney, Kurkjian, Rosenthal, etc. It was a Twitter post from Connolly, and I never did necessarily believe it. Nothing against Connolly, he does a great job. But there are are a lot things that circulate today that may not necessarily be 100 percent true.

I am just saying that I don't think that we know all of the details and I was not prepared to take a Twitter post and run with it as the gospel. Honestly, I don't think that San Diego really wanted to trade Headley, because if they did, he would have been playing for someone else after the trade deadline. We were far from the only team that needed a 3B and if there was a reasonable deal to be made, someone would have made it.

Luckily, we came up with a pretty good solution and did not have to give anything up to fill that void.

Archived