For Those Screaming For Headley

Brendan25

If I remember correctly it wasn't a top 10 prospect either but the last time I checked if you want a proven MLB player you are going to need to give up quantity. I think we value our players too much and we will be lucky if one of Arrieta/Matuzs/Delmonico/Schoop pan out to be the type of player Headley is

The 2008 Seattle Mariners agree wholeheartedly.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man, some people just always want what they can't have.

The whole idea behind getting Headley was to solve the third base issue...specifically, the lack of defense there.

Well, Machado fixed all that. Our left side of the infield defense is pretty spectacular right now.

So why are people still calling for Headley again?

Headley 3b/Machado SS > Machado 3b/Hardy SS.

Argue cost all you want, but the above equation is pretty simple.

It's not only about defense.

The 2008 Seattle Mariners agree wholeheartedly.

And your point is ???? Trades usually go 1 of 2 ways... But prospects are prospects ...There is no sure thing that any of these guys will pan out. We've had half a season of success from Tillman & Adam Jones has been a win. Butler & the other young reliever we got were busts. Sherrill was a good loogy when picked up in the deal.

Problem is, I don't think that it was really that widely reported. In my eyes, it was a rumor that caught fire on message boards, this one and others. That's not the same as being reported by Olney, Kurkjian, Rosenthal, etc. It was a Twitter post from Connolly, and I never did necessarily believe it. Nothing against Connolly, he does a great job. But there are are a lot things that circulate today that may not necessarily be 100 percent true.

I'm a lot more likely to believe what the Baltimore Sun writers report about the Orioles than I am about what's reported by ESPN/Fox Sports.

Man, some people just always want what they can't have.

The whole idea behind getting Headley was to solve the third base issue...specifically, the lack of defense there.

Well, Machado fixed all that. Our left side of the infield defense is pretty spectacular right now.

So why are people still calling for Headley again?

I agree with this. Headley is at his peak in value right now. It's not a good time to buy him in a trade.

Headley 3b/Machado SS > Machado 3b/Hardy SS.

Argue cost all you want, but the above equation is pretty simple.

It's not only about defense.

It would be this simple if the second half of 2012 was in a vacuum. It is not. I think a huge question remains as to whether Headley can sustain this level of performance or whether he regresses back towards the player he has been leading up to the second half of the 2012 season.

It would be this simple if the second half of 2012 was in a vacuum. It is not. I think a huge question remains as to whether Headley can sustain this level of performance or whether he regresses back towards the player he has been leading up to the second half of the 2012 season.

Even with a pre-2012 Headley, the equation holds true.

@ Weams ....Its certainly possible ...even if unlikely

However, some Padres executives believe now is the time to trade Headley, Center reports. GM Josh Byrnes could name his price for Headley, and replace him with Jedd Gyorko. It doesn't seem likely that the Padres will trade Headley, who's arbitration eligible for the third time this coming offseason. The 28-year-old earned $3.5MM in 2012 and could earn more than $7MM in 2013. Headley, who’s under team control through 2014, surfaced in numerous trade rumors leading up to this past season’s non-waiver trade deadline.

@ Weams ....Its certainly possible ...even if unlikely
However, some Padres executives believe now is the time to trade Headley, Center reports. GM Josh Byrnes could name his price for Headley, and replace him with Jedd Gyorko. It doesn't seem likely that the Padres will trade Headley, who's arbitration eligible for the third time this coming offseason. The 28-year-old earned $3.5MM in 2012 and could earn more than $7MM in 2013. Headley, who’s under team control through 2014, surfaced in numerous trade rumors leading up to this past season’s non-waiver trade deadline

I'd be shocked if Headley asked for anything under 10 mil. And be even more shocked if he didn't win that case. After SD resigning Quentin and Street, I too would be shocked if they trade Headley.

I'm a lot more likely to believe what the Baltimore Sun writers report about the Orioles than I am about what's reported by ESPN/Fox Sports.

But even the local media was not talking that much about it. Most of the chatter was on blogs and message boards. All I am saying was that it was a rumor that was fueled by one tweet and a subsequent story. Everything else that I read used that tweet as a source. No matter who the source is, tweets are far from 100 percent accurate. It was an "industry source" and while I believe Connolly was reporting what he was told, a lot of "industry sources" are not necessarily correct.

A potential trade would have been a pretty big deal and in retrospect, there was not much ink dedicated to it from the national or local media. That, amongst other things, leads me to believe that there was not much to it.

Even with a pre-2012 Headley, the equation holds true.

I'm not sure how you are coming to this conclusion. Machado has no prior history to compare regardless of whether he is paired with Hardy or Headley.

I did not examine defensive metrics, but offense sure gives the edge to Hardy, even if it's close. Certainly not the position you have in that Headley is clearly the better option (paired with Machado).

2011 OPS: Hardy .801; Headley .773 (Headley only 113 games)

2010 OPS: Hardy .714; Headley .702 (Hardy only 101 games)

2009 OPS: Hardy .659; Headley .734 (Hardy only 115 games)

2008 OPS: Hardy .821; Headley .757 (Headley only 91 games)

I am not sure, but I think the lack of games for both was due to injury.

Archived