Guthrie stays in K.C.

Can_of_corn

I'm not surprised, particularly considering the contrast in Guthrie's numbers after he was traded last season from ultra-hitter friendly Colorado to Kansas City. His starts and innings pitched were almost identical (15 starts in Colorado, 14 starts in Kansas City. 90.67 IP in Colorado, 91 IP in Kansas City.)

GUTHRIE's 2012 COLORADO/KANSAS CITY SPLITS:

COLORADO: OO 3-9, 6.35 ERA O 31 BB O 45 SO O 1.688 WHIP

KANSAS CITY:O 5-3, 3.16 ERA O 19 BB O 56 SO O 1.132 WHIP

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/guthrje01.shtml

As long as Dave Cameron continues to use his fangraphs model as a way of evaluating SP, it's hard to take seriously what he says about SP.

I wouldn't give Guthrie 3/25 either, but KC is really thin on SP and Guthrie will eat innings. There might be better ways to spend money on SP, but Guthrie is more of a sure thing, which is very important when everyone else you have is a big question mark.

As long as Dave Cameron continues to use his fangraphs model as a way of evaluating SP, it's hard to take seriously what he says about SP.

I wouldn't give Guthrie 3/25 either, but KC is really thin on SP and Guthrie will eat innings. There might be better ways to spend money on SP, but Guthrie is more of a sure thing, which is very important when everyone else you have is a big question mark.

Yeah, not the biggest Cameron fan myself, but I think he makes some decent points here about KC tying a lot of money up in relatively low upside guys like Guthrie, Chen and Santana. KC has some nice OF's with Dyson and Gordon who could make things easier for FB pitchers.

Still, wouldn't be shocked to see Guthrie fall off pretty hard with another 1-2 mph loss in velocity, considering his marginal secondary stuff (imo).

Archived