Are The BlueJays the New Philadelphis Eagles?

brianod

When is the last time a professional football or baseball team spent their way to success? The Angels failed to learn their lesson with Pujols and doubled down on Hamilton. In a couple years, they will be paying 70 million per year for players that are past their prime. How do the Yankees feel about paying 70 million to Tex and Arod and how is their offseason going? What is the health of the RedSox organization? Two years ago, we all anointed the Eagles to be favorites in the NFL. How did that work out for them?

Bottom line is that it is awfully hard, if not impossible, to spend your way to success. Many organizations make the mistake of developing prospects only to trade them away for name players past their prime. I'm not saying that the occasional free agent can't succeed but I am saying that it's easy to overspend on guys past their prime and for long term organization health, it's best to avoid free agency if you can.

History is replete with examples of teams anointed champions who finished under .500. Chill people, let's see how this all works out.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When is the last time a professional football or baseball team spent their way to success? The Angels failed to learn their lesson with Pujols and doubled down on Hamilton. In a couple years, they will be paying 70 million per year for players that are past their prime. How do the Yankees feel about paying 70 million to Tex and Arod and how is their offseason going? What is the health of the RedSox organization? Two years ago, we all anointed the Eagles to be favorites in the NFL. How did that work out for them?

Bottom line is that it is awfully hard, if not impossible, to spend your way to success. Many organizations make the mistake of developing prospects only to trade them away for name players past their prime. I'm not saying that the occasional free agent can't succeed but I am saying that it's easy to overspend on guys past their prime and for long term organization health, it's best to avoid free agency if you can.

History is replete with examples of teams anointed champions who finished under .500. Chill people, let's see how this all works out.

I actually agree with this wholeheartedly. However I would not give odds on the bolded happening....LOL

The fact that they're acquiring all of this pitching is what's making me nervous. If there was a comparison, I would say QB and the OL/DL are like pitching. The Eagles always have a terrible OL. That rotation is ridiculous if it stays healthy. Romero, their ace going into last year, is the weak link going into this season.

The fact that they're acquiring all of this pitching is what's making me nervous. If there was a comparison, I would say QB and the OL/DL are like pitching. The Eagles always have a terrible OL. That rotation is ridiculous if it stays healthy. Romero, their ace going into last year, is the weak link going into this season.

I tend to agree in the short term. In the long term, pitchers tend to burn out much faster then position players. If you want to look at an example of a team that spent a ton of money on pitching and was anointed champions prior to the season, you can look at the Phillies of last year. I agree that the Blue Jays will be very formidable on paper but they also have a huge payroll that probably isn't supportable over the long run. How about last year's Marlins? I admire the "go for it" philosophy but if it doesn't work, you are really hosed for a long time.

Comparing baseball to football never works. The Eagles were overrated because people always overlook the most important part of the team...the offensive line. Injuries and turnovers also contributed to back-to-back terrible years. The only weakness I see in the Blue Jays is health.

I would argue that only Sabathia played a big role in the success and that Tex and Burnett proved unworthy of their contracts. The Yankees can afford to overpay, I don't think the Blue Jays can.

I would argue that all three played just fine in 2009. Tex put up a 948 OPS and Burnett was one of their three best starters. As to what has happened since? Who cares? They got their ring.

I would argue that all three played just fine in 2009. Tex put up a 948 OPS and Burnett was one of their three best starters. As to what has happened since? Who cares? They got their ring.

As for who cares, I suggest you listen to New York talk radio. I suspect you might find a few million Yankee fans unhappy with the direction of the franchise.

I would argue that only Sabathia played a big role in the success and that Tex and Burnett proved unworthy of their contracts. The Yankees can afford to overpay, I don't think the Blue Jays can.

Then you're argument would be wrong...at least for Teix. You need to factor in his incredible defense as well.

As for who cares, I suggest you listen to New York talk radio. I suspect you might find a few million Yankee fans unhappy with the direction of the franchise.

You asked for the last team to "buy" a championship in MLB or NFL. I provided you with one. What happened in the years after is not of consequence to the question you asked. As for how the team is doing, they made the playoffs last year and knocked the Orioles out.

I would guess that most of those unhappy fans want more spending not less.

You asked for the last team to "buy" a championship in MLB or NFL. I provided you with one. What happened in the years after is not of consequence to the question you asked. As for how the team is doing, they made the playoffs last year and knocked the Orioles out.

I would guess that most of those unhappy fans want more spending not less.

What you did is to provide one example of the team with the biggest payroll in all of professional sports who signed 3 free agents before winning a championship. One of those free agents was dumped because he was horrible. One of those free agents is earning 30 million a year for production worth about 8 million. The other is aging and no longer dominant. You said they won the year after the signings and your premise was, so who cares what happened after? Well, the Yankees fans certainly care. You spend 200 million, you expect to win. The Yankees aren't in very good shape. They are aging and have a bloated payroll. Those three signings are certainly part of the equation. The O's can't afford to miss on a free agent. The Yankees can, but even they, can't afford to be reckless. I would argue that Tex is a disaster. Burnett is a disaster. Sabathia has been worth every penny but it's an expensive signing and he's going down hill.

New York media is always critical. When you're used to winning, you expect to win, and World Series or not the Yankees have won consistently, year after year, after year. The fact that they can't get the best Free Agents this year is a bit frustrating for the fan base I'm sure.

What you did is to provide one example of the team with the biggest payroll in all of professional sports who signed 3 free agents before winning a championship.

Isn't that what you asked for, though?

Still, that's the Yankees strategy EVERY year, and it's only been successful one time since 2000, if you define successful as winning the WS. That may have more to do with the MLB playoff format than with anything else, though.

Archived