One scout's early take on the 2013 Orioles and the AL East

ChaosLex

I am hopeful that we will have as many new players add to the Orioles this season as we had last season. More than enough to make up for any adjustment to the mean on last season's over performers. I am hopeful. I went to playoff games less than 45 days ago.

I am hopeful, too - but decreasingly confident. The rest of the East is reloading - again. That said, I always prefer rooting for the underdog anyway. I think we'd have to be considered the heavy underdogs to take the division - or even the wild card - in 2013. If we somehow manage to compete, it will only be that much sweeter. But... eh. I'm just not anticipating the season like I would be if we had added talent at key spots.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Getting Valentine out of town has to be worth at least 10 wins in and of itself...

Ha! Brilliant - and true. Valentine was a very bad misfire. He was exactly what that team did not need... tone deaf, and deaf to his player's emotions, needs, motivations, etc. The opposite of Buck.

This. I know we all focus on the luck that surrounded the one-run wins, but we always forget the amount of stuff the Orioles as a team really had to overcome to get there. They had plenty of injuries and plenty of things go wrong. They were not without issues.

That's useful perspective, to me. But I would add that every season will have ups and downs - and the lack of contributions from a lot of these guys was no big surprise. Again, because of the lack of track record - you just don't know what you might get. Wada, Matusz, even Reynolds, to some degree. Andino, Robert, Reimold. Arrieta, Hunter, Britton... all major question marks. I think I'm coming down to the real distinction for me: am I hopeful about the O's in 2013, that they could compete? Hell yeah - of course, I'm a fan. Am I confident in them competing for a playoff spot? Less so with each passing day.

This. I know we all focus on the luck that surrounded the one-run wins, but we always forget the amount of stuff the Orioles as a team really had to overcome to get there. They had plenty of injuries and plenty of things go wrong. They were not without issues.

Not that big of a deal, the Yankees had to start Steve Pearce for a few games, so we were pretty lucky.

Wada was unfortunate....but with all that went right with their other misc pitching pick ups it's easy to dismiss it. Reimold is a oft injured player no real surprise IMO. Roberts is done and should've retired before the season. His baseball skills are diminished and he is wasting a roster spot. plus he's keeping the team from really trying to improve the position. I'm not counting low end type pick up like Casilla. Was Markakis bad luck? I thought so te 1st time he was plunked. But the second time I'd say he has to get out of the way or turn his back on the ball. I tend to agree on the young pitching and Hammel. If Hammel hadn't been hurt he'd probably already be traded for Butler plus so that was bad luck.

Not that big of a deal, the Yankees had to start Steve Pearce for a few games, so we were pretty lucky.

no see, the difference is this:

Sitting here this time last year everyone assumed that for the Orioles to win 93 games and make the playoffs they would need perfect seasons from EVERYONE. The Orioles had a TON of stuff go wrong for them last year, more than a dozen things that should have derailed that season but never did.

The one-run games were one thing, but they had their fair share of adversity to overcome as well.

no see, the difference is this:

Sitting here this time last year everyone assumed that for the Orioles to win 93 games and make the playoffs they would need perfect seasons from EVERYONE. The Orioles had a TON of stuff go wrong for them last year, more than a dozen things that should have derailed that season but never did.

The one-run games were one thing, but they had their fair share of adversity to overcome as well.

I was kidding ;)

EDIT - Just my favorite media reason why Girardi was so amazing as a manager in 2012. I completely agree with you, there were a bunch of guys who played below what they were capable of/we had things go wrong.

Was Markakis bad luck? I thought so te 1st time he was plunked. But the second time I'd say he has to get out of the way or turn his back on the ball.

Just to clarify real quick. You think Markakis is at fault for getting hit by a C.C. fastball and breaking his wrist?

I would take this a bit serious:

The Blue Jays were picked as the 2013 AL East champions by 13 of 20 scouts and executives polled by FOX Sports' Jon Paul Morosi. In that same poll, the Orioles were picked to finish last by 10 voters, while the Red Sox received six last-place votes and were the only team that didn't get at least one pick as division winners. Morosi himself picks Toronto for first place and Boston for last.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/al-east-links-red-sox-mccutchen-blue-jays.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Why?

According to various "experts" and their analysis before last season, the Red Sox and Angels would duke it out for the AL to take on the Marlins in the World Series, and the Orioles wouldn't win 70 games.

I seem to remember it happening just a bit differently...

Why?

According to various "experts" and their analysis before last season, the Red Sox and Angels would duke it out for the AL to take on the Marlins in the World Series, and the Orioles wouldn't win 70 games.

I seem to remember it happening just a bit differently...

It does have flaws but just the fact that guys with more connections to the game than you or I are skeptics about the Orioles should make fans a bit weary.

It does have flaws but just the fact that guys with more connections to the game than you or I are skeptics about the Orioles should make fans a bit weary.

Not a single "expert" whose work I read, and it was plenty, predicted the O's to finish above last place. The Orioles are bringing back every crucial member of a team that won 93 games, and they're improving areas of weakness that hurt the the team at various points last year- RH hitter depth and lack of speed, for instance. It's not flashy but it will translate to success just like little moves made a huge impact last year. Quality depth and a strong bench are much more important than they appear at first glance.

And I still think DD has a bigger move in mind, and will execute it when he's ready.

Archived