Mike Wright today, 2013

Frobby

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm completely baffled as to why this guy gets no love from the OH. If his name was, Dylan Bundy, and he was putting up these stats, then this place would be going crazy, in a good way. Your my boy, Mike Wright. You are having a great year. Haters going hate, I guess.

He's definitely proving he can start. People have put him in a box, thinking he's only a reliever, and he is proving them to be dead wrong.

Mike Wright was the #7 prospect in the OH's composite ranking before this season. He's 23 in AA, which isn't too old, but isn't young enough to be super exciting. His statistics are quite good, but not actually great. The scouting reports suggest that he can be a good pitcher, but not a great one.

Nobody thinks he's "only a reliever." Some folks (most vocally RZNJ) think he will eventually end up in the bullpen, since most decent but unspectacular minor league pitchers who make the majors do.

He's taken a definite step forward this year. Made the big jump from A+ to AA, and saw his K rate jump significantly and his walk rate increase but not by too much. He's continuing to limit HRs, and while he gives up more hits than you'd like, it's not killing him either.

Mike Wright, barring a serious injury or late-season collapse, will be a top-10 prospect for the Orioles this offseason and has an outside shot at the #5 slot: it's Bundy, Gausman, Schoop, Rodriguez, and Harvey, probably, but Rodriguez has struggled at AA and Harvey is far away from the majors.

In my last pitching prospects report, I pondered whether he'd be a candidate for the #5 rotation spot next spring; barring a FA pickup, the competition appears to be between Wright, Steve Johnson, Gausman, and Britton, Britton being favored due to lack of options.

I haven't missed a start (or a composite box statistics compilation) since F Robby started the thread almost 3 months ago.

Oh, I know. Thank you for that, btw. I was speaking about the majority. The guy is putting up stats. Period. He's 23 at AA. That's right on schedule as far as minor league progression. He may only be a 2 pitch guy, right now, but he's working on a 3rd pitch. I'll take his 2 pitches over Jake Arrieta's 4 pitches, any day of the week. I know he's not a "great" prospect or a future #1. I'm not an idiot. But, he deserves more credit than he's getting, imo.

Oh, I know. Thank you for that, btw. I was speaking about the majority. The guy is putting up stats. Period. He's 23 at AA. That's right on schedule as far as minor league progression. He may only be a 2 pitch guy, right now, but he's working on a 3rd pitch. I'll take his 2 pitches over Jake Arrieta's 4 pitches, any day of the week. I know he's not a "great" prospect or a future #1. I'm not an idiot. But, he deserves more credit than he's getting, imo.

At Bowie:

Tillman, age 20: 3.18 ERA

Matusz, age 22: 1.58 ERA

Britton, age 22: 2.48 ERA

Bergesen, age 22: 3.22 ERA

Arrieta, age 23: 2.59 ERA

Hernandez, age 23: 2.68 ERA

I'm interested in Wright, but the above explains why "excited" would be too strong a word.

Wright has put together quite a statistical season at AA. There's nothing wrong with that level for his age. It is possible that I saw Wright when he was in the midst of a funk, but I had concerns about his ability to get major league hitters out. As Kevin Gausman showed, you have to have a plus secondary offering to consistently get hitters out. When I saw Wright, his fastball command was lacking and he was very inconsistent with his secondary stuff. The fastball in undeniable, easy low 90s, but it had very little life and he struggled at times to locate it down in the zone.

A big separator for hitters is what they can do with mistakes. When I saw Wright, his mistakes were being hit hard, but not doing damage. I think that would change, again as we saw with Gausman, at the Major League level. This is not to take anything away from Wright. He has put himself as likely the fourth best pitching prospect in the organization, but the suggestion that he could contribute to the team this year is too big a leap.

Wright has put together quite a statistical season at AA. There's nothing wrong with that level for his age. It is possible that I saw Wright when he was in the midst of a funk, but I had concerns about his ability to get major league hitters out. As Kevin Gausman showed, you have to have a plus secondary offering to consistently get hitters out. When I saw Wright, his fastball command was lacking and he was very inconsistent with his secondary stuff. The fastball in undeniable, easy low 90s, but it had very little life and he struggled at times to locate it down in the zone.

A big separator for hitters is what they can do with mistakes. When I saw Wright, his mistakes were being hit hard, but not doing damage. I think that would change, again as we saw with Gausman, at the Major League level. This is not to take anything away from Wright. He has put himself as likely the fourth best pitching prospect in the organization, but the suggestion that he could contribute to the team this year is too big a leap.

Would you put Rodriguez or Harvey behind him?

It will be interesting to follow how Wright and Ed Rod and the next wave of pitching prospects develop. The biggest thing to come out of the Norris trade is that we now have 4 spots of the MLB rotation locked in for a few years. So no need to rush our starters. If you go back and look Matusz and Arrieta had very few innings in AA and AAA by the time they were first promoted. Britton and Bergeson had shoulder injuries to derail them. I hope the O's take the throttle off Gausman and let him have a full season in AAA. The Tampa Bay model is a good one to follow, i.e. Archer and Cobb, and let these guys get full season in AA and AAA. Realistically Wright is probably going to be somewhere between Hernandez and Steve Johnon, which is fine by me.

1 run over 7 innings.

70 Strikes, 27 Balls.

MIKE WRIGHT O (vs. AA-New Hampshire, 8/07)

IP:. 7

H:o 5

R:O 1

BB: 2

SO: 7

Pitches: 97 (70 Strikes, 27 Balls)

2013 ERA: 3.46 (AA-Bowie)

PITCHES BY INNING

71 (61 Strikes, 1 Balls)

18 (11 Strikes, 7 Balls)

20 (14 Strikes, 6 Balls)

16 (91 Strikes, 7 Balls)

13 (91 Strikes, 4 Balls)

11 (10 Strikes, 1 Balls)

12 (11 Strikes, 1 Balls)

MIKE WRIGHT O (COMPOSITE PITCHING LINE, LAST 18 GAMES)

IP:. 105

H:o 102

R:O 44

ER:)34

BB: 25 *

SO: 103

Pitches: 1,660 (1,104 Strikes, 556 Balls)

Cumulative ERA: 2.91 (AA-Bowie)

Cumulative WHIP: 1.210

* Wright also has 8 hit batsmen in these 18 outings.

Archived