O's acquire Alex Liddi

Finisher

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, I would rather increase our investment internationally than decrease it.

Second, I think Alex Liddi will contribute more to the organization than the difference between our second international slot and Seattle's third.

I am surprised at the comments knocking our owner and GM in how they are handling this overall. Just last year, DD had the funds $750K IIRC to land Urrutia. Also, I expect any spending budget set during the year would include our international allotment - so complaining about the budget here in a way that hint that we don't have the fund is a bit off IMO.

I have to think that DD believes he can make do with $1.5M internationally and believes there is value in using this avenue to acquire players instead of giving up prospects. DD said beefing up the international presence was both imperative to the organization and a strength of his. I doubt these trades are an indication that he has changed his philosophy.

From the 2012 edition of the Baseball America Prospect Handbook, wherein Alex Liddi was ranked the Mariners' #14 prospect. The is the last time he classified as a "prospect" due to major league service time:

"Though six Italian-born players already had played in the big leagues, Liddi became the first born and raised in Italy to reach the majors when he got there in September [of 2011]. His promotion capped a season in which he ranked third in the Triple-A Pacific Coast League with 30 homers and 273 total bases. His game is quite similar to that of Mark Reynolds, as both have plus raw power but not enough other tools to be a viable everyday option for a contending team. [Cue shot of Terry Francona slowly nodding his head.] As with Reynolds, Liddi's biggest problem is making contact. His 187 strikeouts between Triple-A and the majors were the fourth most in pro ball in 2011. (Reynolds was second with 196 whiffs.) Liddi is a below-average hitter who doesn't recognize pitches well or make adjustments at the plate, limiting his usable power to 15-20 homers annually in the majors. He's a well below-average runner with stiff infield actions. He did loosen up some last year and started 21 games at shortstop for Tacoma, and he does have plus arm strength. He led PCL third basemen with 18 errors in 115 games last year but had just one miscue in 14 big league contests. Despite his flaws as a player, Liddi is lauded for his makeup and hard work. He should be able to contribute at least as a power bat off the bench."

First, I would rather increase our investment internationally than decrease it.

Second, I think Alex Liddi will contribute more to the organization than the difference between our second international slot and Seattle's third.

I am surprised at the comments knocking our owner and GM in how they are handling this overall. Just last year, DD had the funds $750K IIRC to land Urrutia. Also, I expect any spending budget set during the year would include our international allotment - so complaining about the budget here in a way that hint that we don't have the fund is a bit off IMO.

I have to think that DD believes he can make do with $1.5M internationally and believes there is value in using this avenue to acquire players instead of giving up prospects. DD said beefing up the international presence was both imperative to the organization and a strength of his. I doubt these trades are an indication that he has changed his philosophy.

The Urrutia signing did not fall under the cap.

There is a huge difference between signing a then 25 year old Urrutia and signing 16 year olds.

I'm conflicted. I watched International Signing Bonus Slot No. 2 come up through the minors, saw him in a few games at Aberdeen. You can tell the tools are there. And he was really great with the fans. Wasn't International Signing Bonus Slot No. 3 popped for PEDs last year?

It goes against my personal policy of negative repping, but this post comes darn close. You think you are being funny? You watched International Signing Bonus Slot No. 2 come up through the minors? What's that mean, you saw him play what once? Twice? 5 times? That makes you qualified to be the GM of the Baltimore Orioles? Smarter than Dan Duquette?

Why don't you enlighten us on the rest of the Minor League Orioles so that we can figure out if DD is getting anything important done in the front office. Why stop there? Saying "you can tell the tools are there" is so cotton picking clich? I am practically spitting spots!!! I saw Manny Machado in the Minors and said I think he's gonna be a great Oriole and my 6 yr old son said he should play third base like Brooks Robinson (don't interrupt me I' m makin a point) I guess my son is smarter than DD too and almost as smart as you huh?

The thing that really gets my goat, is the rumor and innuendo. Do we not have enough PED stuff swirling around Chris Davis for you to basically throw International Bonus Slot #3 under the bus with the old disprove the negative trick; "Wasn't he popped for PED's last year?" Really???

I searched the internet for confirmation and find zero corroborating evidence of your claim. You should simply be ashamed of yourself! This kind of stuff should be banned! Your lucky International Bonus Slot #2 and or #3 do not hunt you down like the groveling coward that you are. If I weren't so.....what?....exuse me?

:eektf:

Ok, well, um I guess I kinda flew off the handle. Carry on!

The Urrutia signing did not fall under the cap.

There is a huge difference between signing a then 25 year old Urrutia and signing 16 year olds.

I understand the Urrutia signing did not fall under the international signing cap. I refer to it as evidence that we are not as "budget bound/limited" as people think in these circumstances - that DD has the $ or PA is willing to spend more than people give him credit for ... even $ in excess of assigned draft and international spend.

Sorry I was not more clear.

It goes against my personal policy of negative repping, but this post comes darn close. You think you are being funny? You watched International Signing Bonus Slot No. 2 come up through the minors? What's that mean, you saw him play what once? Twice? 5 times? That makes you qualified to be the GM of the Baltimore Orioles? Smarter than Dan Duquette?

Why don't you enlighten us on the rest of the Minor League Orioles so that we can figure out if DD is getting anything important done in the front office. Why stop there? Saying "you can tell the tools are there" is so cotton picking clich? I am practically spitting spots!!! I saw Manny Machado in the Minors and said I think he's gonna be a great Oriole and my 6 yr old son said he should play third base like Brooks Robinson (don't interrupt me I' m makin a point) I guess my son is smarter than DD too and almost as smart as you huh?

The thing that really gets my goat, is the rumor and innuendo. Do we not have enough PED stuff swirling around Chris Davis for you to basically throw International Bonus Slot #3 under the bus with the old disprove the negative trick; "Wasn't he popped for PED's last year?" Really???

I searched the internet for confirmation and find zero corroborating evidence of your claim. You should simply be ashamed of yourself! This kind of stuff should be banned! Your lucky International Bonus Slot #2 and or #3 do not hunt you down like the groveling coward that you are. If I weren't so.....what?....exuse me?

:eektf:

Ok, well, um I guess I kinda flew off the handle. Carry on!

Come on man, no red pips. I need that stupid bird!

I understand the Urrutia signing did not fall under the international signing cap. I refer to it as evidence that we are not as "budget bound/limited" as people think in these circumstances - that DD has the $ or PA is willing to spend more than people give him credit for ... even $ in excess of assigned draft and international spend.

Sorry I was not more clear.

Not a problem.

But, like I said, spending a large chunk of change on a 25 year old is different then giving a large chunk of change to a 16 year old. Investments of that kind are not in PA's nature.

Check your rep box, I repped you before my post. Seems my humor is as bad as yours...lol I thought your post was hilarious.

Barnaby was just campaigning for a bird. :P

I tell everyone in need of rep the same thing, go over to the music forum and post stuff that isn't crap.

So the exchange of bonus pool selections amounts to 75k. It is funny that people think the Orioles did this to save money but have signed a ton of players they drafted..almost all of whom had bonuses over 75k.

So the exchange of bonus pool selections amounts to 75k. It is funny that people think the Orioles did this to save money but have signed a ton of players they drafted..almost all of whom had bonuses over 75k.

From what I have read over the years I don't think PA thinks investing big money in 16 year olds from Latin America is a good investment.

Archived