The Magic is Gone ("Perspective" thread merge)

Dipper9

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a 82 to 85 win team this year good just not good enough. Only good thing that might come out of this season is that they put money into the pitching staff in off season.

This post will be viewed by some as reactionary, but please bare with me.

This has been a fun season, and its far from over. We've won more than we've lost, the offense has been very exciting at times, and the defense has been spectacular. I've enjoyed the 2013 season and still hold out hope.

That said, I don't think the Orioles are going to make the playoffs this year. We are a good team, but we don't have that magic that we had last year. Last year we were a team of destiny, a team on a mission. This year, Boston has that mojo. The Orioles are winning game for sure, but the amazing comebacks, the walk-offs, the late inning heroics, the extra inning magic, the one run wins, its all missing this year.

We'll win between 85-90 games, and we'll be in this race to the end, but I just don't think it will be enough to make the playoffs.

This team may very well end up like one of those Johnny Oates teams of the early 90s. Above average. Good, not great. Enough not to be ashamed of, but not enough to be truly proud of.

Then again--to borrow from another sport--59 minutes and 20 seconds into the AFC Divisional Playoff game, I thought the 2012 Ravens were just another Ravens team that played well enough to get into the postseason but inevitably failed in the playoffs.

Funny thing about sports.

It's August. We're 10 games over .500. We're one modest hot streak from being back in playoff position. I'll enjoy the ride.

• 5 weeks later...

Are the Orioles starting to rise from the dead ???

They just handed the Red Sox their first back-to-back losses in over a month.

Perspective, magic ........ whatever you call it, it's nice to see the team go down fighting, whether they make the playoffs or not.

This post will be viewed by some as reactionary, but please bare with me.

This has been a fun season, and its far from over. We've won more than we've lost, the offense has been very exciting at times, and the defense has been spectacular. I've enjoyed the 2013 season and still hold out hope.

That said, I don't think the Orioles are going to make the playoffs this year. We are a good team, but we don't have that magic that we had last year. Last year we were a team of destiny, a team on a mission. This year, Boston has that mojo. The Orioles are winning game for sure, but the amazing comebacks, the walk-offs, the late inning heroics, the extra inning magic, the one run wins, its all missing this year.

We'll win between 85-90 games, and we'll be in this race to the end, but I just don't think it will be enough to make the playoffs.

Looks like I was dead on with the win totals, but holy cow, it looks like whoever gets to the high 80's first is gonna make the playoffs.

This is a Bah Gawd Slobberknocker, and Business is about to pick up!

Archived