Hunter Harvey - Joins the Ironbirds and slated to start tonight

Redskins Rick

This is from Baseball Prospectus' Monday Morning Ten Pack this morning...

Hunter Harvey, RHP, Orioles (Short-season Aberdeen)

When it comes to watching pitching prospects, Harvey is exactly the type who gets me amped up and whom I really enjoy getting to put eyes on. The raw stuff absolutely shined on the diamond, but it was also the way he went about executing his craft that stood out to me and made it a memorable first look at the prospect. Despite being just 18, Harvey showed an advanced feel for locating his fastball in the lower tier of the strike zone and throwing downhill. It really impressed me considering the age and level of experience. You don’t typically see that type of execution even in the more highly touted prep pitchers as well. Harvey does need some work throwing to both sides of the plate, but I see him more than capable of growing in that aspect given the athleticism and overall looseness in which he throws.

Harvey’s ability to snap off his curveball and potential he showed with his changeup earned high marks from me that night. The confidence he oozed using the secondary arsenal screamed even more. It is one thing to have the stuff, which will surely get a pitcher noticed, but it’s another to have the edge when throwing it. And that type of maturity in the present body of work hints that the future can be very special. There’s a ton to like about this right-handed pitcher, with the first look leaving a huge impression, and the time spent watching Harvey ranking at the top of prospect viewing this year for me. –Chris Mellen

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is from Baseball Prospectus' Monday Morning Ten Pack this morning...

When it comes to watching pitching prospects, Harvey is exactly the type who gets me amped up and whom I really enjoy getting to put eyes on. The raw stuff absolutely shined on the diamond, but it was also the way he went about executing his craft that stood out to me and made it a memorable first look at the prospect. Despite being just 18, Harvey showed an advanced feel for locating his fastball in the lower tier of the strike zone and throwing downhill. It really impressed me considering the age and level of experience. You don’t typically see that type of execution even in the more highly touted prep pitchers as well. Harvey does need some work throwing to both sides of the plate, but I see him more than capable of growing in that aspect given the athleticism and overall looseness in which he throws.

Harvey’s ability to snap off his curveball and potential he showed with his changeup earned high marks from me that night. The confidence he oozed using the secondary arsenal screamed even more. It is one thing to have the stuff, which will surely get a pitcher noticed, but it’s another to have the edge when throwing it. And that type of maturity in the present body of work hints that the future can be very special. There’s a ton to like about this right-handed pitcher, with the first look leaving a huge impression, and the time spent watching Harvey ranking at the top of prospect viewing this year for me. –Chris Mellen

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

This is from Baseball Prospectus' Monday Morning Ten Pack this morning...(9/23)

When it comes to watching pitching prospects, Harvey is exactly the type who gets me amped up and whom I really enjoy getting to put eyes on. The raw stuff absolutely shined on the diamond, but it was also the way he went about executing his craft that stood out to me and made it a memorable first look at the prospect. Despite being just 18, Harvey showed an advanced feel for locating his fastball in the lower tier of the strike zone and throwing downhill. It really impressed me considering the age and level of experience. You don?t typically see that type of execution even in the more highly touted prep pitchers as well. Harvey does need some work throwing to both sides of the plate, but I see him more than capable of growing in that aspect given the athleticism and overall looseness in which he throws.

Harvey?s ability to snap off his curveball and potential he showed with his changeup earned high marks from me that night. The confidence he oozed using the secondary arsenal screamed even more. It is one thing to have the stuff, which will surely get a pitcher noticed, but it?s another to have the edge when throwing it. And that type of maturity in the present body of work hints that the future can be very special. There?s a ton to like about this right-handed pitcher, with the first look leaving a huge impression, and the time spent watching Harvey ranking at the top of prospect viewing this year for me. ?Chris Mellen

That's quite the write up. I trust BP implicitly when it comes to analysis. They have been doing it right for years. What isn't said is that this kid loves to compete. Can you imagine the stuff they're talking about here with a competitive fire to go along with it?

Archived