Churchill's latest - Jones and Bedard

JTrea81

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea but some may be moved out of neccassity, like Brignac.

His defense has improved a lot in the past year. And his 2007 fielding stats are slightly better than Cedeno's 2006-2007 stats.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/story/2007/4/21/152942/093

I spoke with Tampa Bay Director of Scouting R.J. Harrison on XM radio yesterday about Brignac. He loves his bat, of course, but he's quite optimistic about his defense as well and believes that Brignac will be able to remain at shortstop. He also gave a lot of praise to Brignac's makeup and intangibles; his work ethic is tremendous. Now, you'd expect Tampa Bay officials to say good things about a player's makeup, but everything I know about Harrison indicates that he pushes this even more than the average scouting director, and what he says about Brignac also dovetails with what other people say.

Take a guy with a bat like this and a terrific work ethic....if he can be even average defensively, you have yourself one hell of a player. . .maybe Chipper Jones?

His defense has improved a lot in the past year. And his 2007 fielding stats are slightly better than Cedeno's 2006-2007 stats.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/story/2007/4/21/152942/093

Good to hear that he is improved....But I don't think he stays at SS over Triunfel long term and I wouldn't hesitate to add both...Rather have Brignac than Clement.

Look at his games and innings pitched and you tell me he wasn't a LOOGY last year(or years before that).

We don't know for sure what he will do versus righties or if he will wear down with an extra 20-30 innings pitched.

I think he could do very well and we could trade him but both of those scenarios far from a slam dunk.

If you look at his splits, he's downright dominating vs. LH hitters this is true, but he's had enough chances facing RH hitters to put up a pretty good line against them (.257 BAA, .712 OPS), I would say moreso than Walker who we didn't use strictly as LOOGY in 2007. Sherrill would do fine in an extended role IMO, at least until the trade deadline. Then we wouldn't have to worry about him wearing down. Walker was overworked last season because Perlozzo couldn't manage a pen. I think Trembley will do a little better in that regard.

Also another key with Sherrill is that he is cheap and under control for the next three seasons. So we might keep him and trade Walker who is not cheap and probably only has one good year left...

If Seattle is looking to compete for the pennant, raiding their bullpen isn't going to help us in this deal IMO. Making them feel good about the finished product of this trade should be our mission in order to extract maximum young talent. Why not Bedard, Scott, and a bullpen arm for a package of Jones, Clement, Triunfel, Tillman, and Chen. Heck, take Sexton off their hands if that helps the deal. There seems to be plenty of quantity and quality there and they plug the hole created by trading Jones. It also helps our 40 man roster situation....just a thought and in the end, only AM opinion counts.

It's my opinion that if Sherrill is acquired he'll strengthen the pen and not balance out another move of say Walker to ???.

I just posted that. It makes sense though because Walker is more expensive and probably only has one good year left, so now or the deadline would be the best time to deal him. My guess is he's probably not too happy he's on a rebuilding team right now...

If Seattle is looking to compete for the pennant, raiding their bullpen isn't going to help us in this deal IMO. Making them feel good about the finished product of this trade should be our mission in order to extract maximum young talent. Why not Bedard, Scott, and a bullpen arm for a package of Jones, Clement, Triunfel, Tillman, and Chen. Heck, take Sexton off their hands if that helps the deal. There seems to be plenty of quantity and quality there and they plug the hole created by trading Jones. It also helps our 40 man roster situation....just a thought and in the end, only AM opinion counts.

That is exactly right! The goal for Seattle in this trade is to be able to compete for the Wildcard and possibly with the Angels for the division crown. By taking Jones and Sherrill you are taking a good bullpen arm and their starting centerfielder away. The Orioles goal should be to have the best young team in baseball by 2010, then fill-in with a free agent or two to put them over the top. So, the Orioles need to use players that are not going to be helping in them in 2010 to grab as many quality young players as they can get.

I think too many are focusing on what would help the Mariners. I understand the reasoning that it will help consummate a deal but I think there is a limit. Sherrill is a more valuable trading chip than many of the others we are discussing from the Mariners. I think AM is trying, and wisely so, to add as much value as possible.

There is no way in my opinion that AM will be done after he trades Bedard and maybe Roberts. He will need pieces to entice other orgs. to pony up prospects. Sherrill will probably garner a good to great prospect from another contending team now or at the deadline.

I also think that AM is not yet willing to concede a 100 loss season in 2008, nor should he in my opinion. If he can get younger and better and add more value while also remaining somewhat competitive then he has done a great job. Rebuilding shouldn't be sacrificed or compromised in order to be more competitive now but if you can do both than why not?

I'm not wildcard, but I'd like to take a shot at this one.

First, let me clarify a couple of things:

1) I'm all for trading Bedard for the right package.

2) Unlike some, I don't think it's the end of the world if he doesn't get traded.

3) wildcard and I don't always agree.

My take on Bedard leaving the team is that it isn't a big deal because he was apparently told to go home, and because he certainly isn't the first injured player to leave his team. My other take is that anyone who makes a big deal of it is looking for an excuse to be upset with him.

Nobody is making a BIG deal out of this, but face the facts. Miggy had a broken hand and stayed with the team throught the entire time he was on the DL. Bedard leaves the team with a stomach strain? His heart is not with this team, and THAT is fact! Regardless, as Moscow said, even if he wanted to stay, he is worth much more in a trade than he alone is worth staying in Baltimore!

This is the mistake you are making. No one is apologzing for Bedard - there's no need whatsoever to apologize.

Answer one question honestly. If he had signed an extension before the season or midseason, would you still be criticizing him the way you are?

As an "outsider" in this dicussion, make no mistake about it. You are certainly apologizing for Bedard. You might not think so, but that is the perception you are putting out there.

As an "outsider" in this dicussion, make no mistake about it. You are certainly apologizing for Bedard. You might not think so, but that is the perception you are putting out there.

I'm equally an outsider. And I don't see any apologizing. The point is that there's nothing to apologize for. Leaving a team when you've been shut down for the season isn't a crime. Saying such isn't apologizing for someone who's done it.

In fact, having read your previous post, I'm not sure how you even fashion yourself an outsider. You've weighed in with a strident, positioned post. You're not objective and/or impartial. Why pose as such?

I'm equally an outsider. And I don't see any apologizing. The point is that there's nothing to apologize for. Leaving a team when you've been shut down for the season isn't a crime. Saying such isn't apologizing for someone who's done it.

In fact, having read your previous post, I'm not sure how you even fashion yourself an outsider. You've weighed in with a strident, positioned post. You're not objective and/or impartial. Why pose as such?

I'm undercover, and you just ruined my gig! :D

Nah, actually their debate was going on long and hard. I read the one post and responded, then read another further down the thread and responded again. While I DO take the stand that Bedard should have stayed, I was not involved in the 12 page dicussion between 1970 and 33rd, and that's why I said the "outsider" comment.

Archived