Churchill's latest - Jones and Bedard

JTrea81

Jason Churchill has posted two interesting comments on his blog. The first one was about Jones returning:

Jones coming to town to get a physical could very well be due to the club anticipating a potential trade.

But it doesn’t mean a trade is imminent, because the Orioles would be the team wanting the physical in that case.

A lot of times we hear about players failing physical thus nixing deals that had been agreed upon previously. The Vizquel deal comes to mind.

http://prospectinsider.com/2008/01/07/ms-getting-closer/#comment-6303

So Jones is returning from Winter Ball for a physical most likely for the Orioles, possibly a prelude to a deal. And the second was about Bedard and specifically his agent:

Bedard told the Orioles he is not interested in an extension at this time and his agent, Mark Pieper, is kind of a Boras wannabe in that he very much prefers and pushes for his client to take it to free agency.

I fully expect that to happen, unless whoever trades for him, or the Orioles, blow him away with an offer, which is not out of the question.

http://prospectinsider.com/2008/01/07/ms-getting-closer/#comment-6308

So there you go, Pieper is a Boras wannabe, so the chances of Bedard and Roberts extending are faint unless we overpay, thus we have to trade them...

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really dont see a way that the trade with the M's doesnt go down. The Mariners clearly need Bedard to even think about the playoffs this year or next.

Jones return and returning for a physical have trade written all over it. I really cant think of another reason to have a perfectly healthy young player return from winter ball for a physical.

Jason Churchill has posted two interesting comments on his blog. The first one was about Jones returning:

Jones coming to town to get a physical could very well be due to the club anticipating a potential trade.

But it doesn’t mean a trade is imminent, because the Orioles would be the team wanting the physical in that case.

A lot of times we hear about players failing physical thus nixing deals that had been agreed upon previously. The Vizquel deal comes to mind.

http://prospectinsider.com/2008/01/07/ms-getting-closer/#comment-6303

So Jones is returning from Winter Ball for a physical most likely for the Orioles, possibly a prelude to a deal. And the second was about Bedard and specifically his agent:

Bedard told the Orioles he is not interested in an extension at this time and his agent, Mark Pieper, is kind of a Boras wannabe in that he very much prefers and pushes for his client to take it to free agency.

I fully expect that to happen, unless whoever trades for him, or the Orioles, blow him away with an offer, which is not out of the question.

http://prospectinsider.com/2008/01/07/ms-getting-closer/#comment-6308

So there you go, Pieper is a Boras wannabe, so the chances of Bedard and Roberts extending are faint unless we overpay, thus we have to trade them...

The O's have done nothing to make him want to sign. They have not improved the team. And they have not made him a competitive offer as far as we know. The ball is in the O's court to make the moves to make him want to stay.

IIRC, Peace 21 said that Bedard's agency let's the player call the shots. He gave the impression that if Bedard didn't want to extend, it was his personal feeling and not the agency pushing him to reach FA.

Well it's always up to the player to decide, but the agency can always "advise" him that FA is the best route...

BTW, so is the theory: SEA is getting Jones to do a physical so the Orioles can't try to back out of the deal later based on a bad physical. Would that even make a difference? It actually doesn't make sense, unless the physical that they are calling Jones home for will actually be done by the Orioles right after a trade.

The O's have done nothing to make him want to sign. They have not improved the team. And they have not made him a competitive offer as far as we know. The ball is in the O's court to make the moves to make him want to stay.

Whether he wants to sign or not, he should be traded. He is one of two trade chips we have that can bring back multiple players with varying degrees of potential and readiness. In order for this team to really try and (change) improve for the next several years, he (and BROb) must be traded. If they don't, this team will continue to flounder in mediocrity.

Whether he wants to sign or not is moot if you ask me. Trade hime. One Bedard does nothing for this team. We need the multiple playes that he can net us more than we need him alone. Embrace the light.

BTW, so is the theory: SEA is getting Jones to do a physical so the Orioles can't try to back out of the deal later based on a bad physical. Would that even make a difference? It actually doesn't make sense, unless the physical that they are calling Jones home for will actually be done by the Orioles right after a trade.

Considering the Orioles can't do anything with a player under contract to a different team due to tampering rules, they may want to see what his physical results are before they pull the trigger, thus only the Mariners can give the physical. This is actually in line with the Orioles and their thorough examination of players' medical histories...

What is your reaction to Bedard leaving the team last September and going back home?

Whether he wants to sign or not, he should be trade. He is one of two trade chips we have that can bring back multiple players with varying degrees of potential and readiness. In order for this team to really try and (change) improve for the next several years, he (and BROb) must be traded. If they don't, this team will continue to flounder in mediocrity.

Whether he wants to sing or not is moot if you ask me. Trade hime. One Bedard does nothing for this team. We need the multiple playes that he can net us more than we need him alone. Embrace the light.

With the players that have been offered it is more like "Embrace the lite".

Well it's always up to the player to decide, but the agency can always "advise" him that FA is the best route...

I know what you mean, and it's a subtle difference, but for the average agency, there has to be some offer that would get it done for a pitcher. You are always one pitch away from being on the shelf.

Boras is the type to turn down every offer regardless of the circumstances and Peace21's comments gave me the impression that Bedard's agency would not do that. In that respect, they would be nothing alike, in contrast to what the writer says.

With the players that have been offered it is more like "Embrace the lite".

Coming from a highly qualified player/talent evaluator like yourself. :P:D

I am not the only one that thinks you and others overvalue Orioles players and undervalue those from other teams. Suffice to say, you clearly don't give them away, but at some point you have to decide what is acceptable or not and move them.

In any event, we don't know yet who may be coming back for sure so you can't say this with full certainty.

Considering the Orioles can't do anything with a player under contract to a different team due to tampering rules, they may want to see what his physical results are before they pull the trigger, thus only the Mariners can give the physical. This is actually in line with the Orioles and their thorough examination of players' medical histories...

Why would the Orioles trust a SEA physical? There's no way they'd let that be the only one they do. They might as well make the trade pending physicals. I'm not sure that having SEA do a physical is worth whatever the O's get out of that agrangement (if the Orioles are the ones requesting it).

What is your reaction to Bedard leaving the team last September and going back home?

The way the O's were playing, I wanted to go with him. August and September were horrible. I do not question Bedard's wanting to be on the mound nor his effort when he is on the mound. As a guy would has overcome a lot through the rehab of TJ surgery, I think he has earned a little trust.

Archived