Schmuck calls out the Orioles!

Tony-OH

I think he has consistently said that and I do respect it. Frobby and I had a disagreement about what I though I heard him say once, but he really avoids talking about those types of thing when asked. He says he has everything that he needs to compete in the AL East and I have yet to see anything show that he lies about that. When he brings home a loser, I'll call him on that.
There are very few, if any, executives who openly complain about the budget the boss gave them, and they are referred to as ex-GMs.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The last owner of the Dodgers was basically labeled a crook for trying to "steal" the teams TV revenues and run out of baseball. Yeah, there was more to it, but that was the core of it.

There was a lot more than that. And you know that. :) He was not paying his bills. MLB is not having that. The divorce brought that house of cards down.

The Dodger's dream foundation scandal also showed was a CAD he was.

And the attempted theft of the TV revenue was after the MLB told him he had to sell. Not before. They were not going to permit him to take the money for the next twenty years of television revenue on his way out the door.

There was a lot more than that. And you know that. :) He was not paying his bills. MLB is not having that. The divorce brought that house of cards down.

Yeah, he wanted to leverage the TV rights to pay his bills. So what exactly is the difference between him doing that and PA pocketing the MASN money for himself? Sure, he was less financially stable than PA (he was heavily invested in real estate, plus the divorce etc) but he was villified for stealing that TV money from the team. Exactly what PA is doing with the same revenue source.

Yeah, he wanted to leverage the TV rights to pay his bills. So what exactly is the difference between him doing that and PA pocketing the MASN money for himself? Sure, he was less financially stable than PA (he was heavily invested in real estate, plus the divorce etc) but he was villified for stealing that TV money from the team. Exactly what PA is doing with the same revenue source.

You have a point. It was only because he was unable to meet his debt ratios in accordance with his franchise agreement. And they would not let him sign a contract that included time that he was not going to be the owner. It's a boys club and after the financial trickery was made public in the divorce, Bud decided he was not a boy. I think that the idea is that MLB gave Peter the RSN to appease him for the teritory infringment, whereas the Dodgers were on rights contract. But I could be wrong here. BTW. I want him to spend every penny that he or his family have on good players for you and I. So I am not disagreeing with your premise.

And the attempted theft of the TV revenue was after the MLB told him he had to sell. Not before. They were not going to permit him to take the money for the next twenty years of television revenue on his way out the door.

I still cant figure how he conned MLB into letting him buy the Dodgers and mostly by debt.

Source: Frank McCourt's Wiki Page.

I still cant figure how he conned MLB into letting him buy the Dodgers and mostly by debt.

Source: Frank McCourt's Wiki Page.

I think many people were unaware of just how flimsy real estate backed wealth was prior to the bubble burst. Especially in California.

Well they had another guy who thought the Ravens made a huge mistake by letting Billy Cundiff go. I hate sports columnists. I can form my own opinions just report the news.

I suggest you read between the lines. All media has some opinion behind its reporting of the news these days, sports or otherwise. Unbiased journalism has long since been left for dead.

The comparison to the Tigers and Cards as mid market teams is apt. Good for him.
I'm not directing this at you at all, but this is usually the part where someone points out that the Cardinals have, with one exception, drawn over 3 million fans a year since 1998. Detroit has been in about the top-third of the league in attendance since 2006 I don't have the Forbes numbers in front of me but probably someone will chime in with them as well.

We killed the golden goose that was Camden Yards through gross mismanagement. This caused a big impact on revenues.

Archived