Criticism of Duquette

WarehouseChatter

Because it is the truth. He also has an obligation not to raise fan's expectations unreasonably. Theo is not telling Cub's fans they are ready to contend. PA is not signing SP to more than 3 years and he is not playing the posting game, and everyone in baseball knows that.

This. I don't think a GM should disclose what they are going to try to do, but there's no reason to hide what they're not going to do.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally i think he is probably as frustrated as we are sometimes. I bet if he was allowed to he would have no problem making a run at him. But honestly every Oriole fan should know we weren't going to sign Tanaka. We will never be the highest bidder for a high profile SP as long as our majority owner is PA.

The Orioles have signed three Japanese players in the last two regimes. We have signed players from Australia, Korea (ahem) as well. And no one, no one is going to say "The Orioles wouldn't give me four years so I won't go to them now that my demands have dropped." That is just silly.

The reason their demand drops is because NO TEAM is giving that player four years! So the Orioles were right to not give him four years because they would have been overpaying the market.

I guess you mean the softball player?

As a GM, why in the world would you continue to show your hand by saying "we won't be participating in the Tanaka sweepstakes" or saying that we won't go after pitchers seeking 4 or 5 year deals? Whether this is the mandate from PGA or not, DD still needs to play the game and at least seem interested. We at a minimum must remain relevant in players and agents eyes. DD is a smart man - not sure why he continues to speak so openly about what he is NOT going to do.

check out my new Orioles website at Warehouse Chatter

If you recall right around the time DD was hired he mentioned one thing he wished he did a better job on in BOS was that he was more media friendly and more truthful. I think he's just trying to right his mistakes from the past.

And lets be honest, I think it's refreshing to hear. Being up front is what the fans deserve to hear.

DD is the only GM on record not in on Tanaka.

• Braves president John Schuerholz says that he's not in on Tanaka but that his club did their "due diligence" on him, tweets Jim Bowden of SiriusXM.

The 20 million posting fee has now been split, you can pay the fee in two payments, to make it more affordable.

I guess you mean the softball player?

Yeah, but all I mean is that the Orioles have been going international. And their non-involvement in Tanaka will not be the reason they miss out on internat'l FA's.

There are plenty of other reasons they won't get those guys - but Tanaka is not one of them.

Archived