Passan: Orioles Unwillingness to Spend Hurting Team

Rene88

The article says it all. The ownership is killing their fan base. My dad first got season tickets for my family in 1967. For the first time in 46 years someone in my family will not have season tickets. My brother and I have decided to not renew our tickets. We had a two year window to be champions once again. Mr. Angelos and his greedy sons chose not to spend the money to put us over the hump. Some of the apologists on this board will talk about "having a winning team." I want to compete for a championship. Angelos does not. It pains me to give up my tickets, but this off season has proven to me Mr. Angelos doesn't care about his fan base.

Which free agent that has signed would you have liked them to waste money on?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The article says it all. The ownership is killing their fan base. My dad first got season tickets for my family in 1967. For the first time in 46 years someone in my family will not have season tickets. My brother and I have decided to not renew our tickets. We had a two year window to be champions once again. Mr. Angelos and his greedy sons chose not to spend the money to put us over the hump. Some of the apologists on this board will talk about "having a winning team." I want to compete for a championship. Angelos does not. It pains me to give up my tickets, but this off season has proven to me Mr. Angelos doesn't care about his fan base.

Good for you.

I was ready to buy last year giving them the "benefit of the doubt" but after that joke of an offseason there wasn't a chance I was giving them a dime. Sad part is most of the season ticket holders aren't plugged in enough to realize what is going on, exactly why the O's could care less what the people who really follow the team think about them.

Good for you.

I was ready to buy last year giving them the "benefit of the doubt" but after that joke of an offseason there wasn't a chance I was giving them a dime. Sad part is most of the season ticket holders aren't plugged in enough to realize what is going on, exactly why the O's could care less what the people who really follow the team think about them.

I've thought about it for a minute, and I don't think you could come up with something less substantial, less meaningful, if you took all day to piece it together. From the hyperbole, to the gross generalization, to the completely unsubstantiated conclusion...you dedicated an entire paragraph to saying absolutely nothing.

Once again, for what must be the hundredth time that you've been told something similar (and that's not an exaggeration), the vast majority of us acknowledge that Angelos is a bad owner, a fact that is almost certainly not lost on most dedicated fans (i.e., the sorts of people who would consider buying, or who have bought, season tickets).

Why you think (and at this point, it seems that you must really, honestly think) that you're the sole possessor of knowledge concerning the "truth" of Peter Angelos is absolutely flabbergasting. There is no mystery. Accordingly, you do not hold its key.

I won't argue with much of what you say, but I do wonder, what great moves did we make in the offseason of 2012 that led us to the Wild Card? Now, yes, I think we should have spent to improve this core, but the offseason does not a winner make. Just ask Toronto.

I've thought about it for a minute, and I don't think you could come up with something less substantial, less meaningful, if you took all day to piece it together. From the hyperbole, to the gross generalization, to the completely unsubstantiated conclusion...you dedicated an entire paragraph to saying absolutely nothing.

Once again, for what must be the hundredth time that you've been told something similar (and that's not an exaggeration), the vast majority of us acknowledge that Angelos is a bad owner, a fact that is almost certainly not lost on most dedicated fans (i.e., the sorts of people who would consider buying, or who have bought, season tickets).

Why you think (and at this point, it seems that you must really, honestly think) that you're the sole possessor of knowledge concerning the "truth" of Peter Angelos is absolutely flabbergasting. There is no mystery. Accordingly, you do not hold its key.

What in the heck are you talking about? Is there a point in there somewhere or are you just trying to insult me in a ridiculously worded way?

If you aren't smart enough to comprehend what I said I will try to explain it better for you next time, just let me know.

Do you understand that some us derive pleasure from going to baseball games?

This point gets lost on the Angelos bashers.

I ENJOYED watching the Orioles from 1998 through 2011, even though we weren't even an average team for any of that period. I enjoy it more when we win, sure, but a day at the Yard in the summer is pretty hard to beat, especially for $20.

What in the heck are you talking about? Is there a point in there somewhere or are you just trying to insult me in a ridiculously worded way?

If you aren't smart enough to comprehend what I said I will try to explain it better for you next time, just let me know.

I was hoping you'd comprehend that (1) you are a broken record. There really doesn't even need to be a (2). However, if I were going to choose a (2), It'd probably be a coin flip between "your weightless generalizations add nothing to discussions about the team" or "you neither speak for, nor have personal knowledge of the motivations of, most Orioles fans."

Most season ticket holders aren't plugged in enough to understand? Absurd.

So you sat through 14 years of losing baseball, and now that the team is pretty good, you're giving up your tickets? That is an insane way to look at things. You may think ownership is killing the fan base, but the increases in attendance and TV ratings suggest otherwise. Whether the O's are a "winning team" or are "competing for a championship" remains to be seen.

Yes we sat with a partial plan for 14 years. I sat there when Nestor Aparicio had his group walk out in mass. I love this franchise. We finally had hope. A two year window to get a championship. This winter we lost our top reliever, second baseman, failed to add a starting pticher to one of the worse staffs in baseball, in fact we lost a starter in Feldman. A tough decision in tough economic times but we decided to put that money to family priorities instead of Mr. Angelos pocket. This offseason Mr. Angleos has proven he doesn't give a damn about the loyal fans that have stuck with this franchise through difficult times. I don't want a winning team. I want a championship. If Nestor Aparicio had another walk-out in protest instead of sitting there supporting the team like I did last time I would join the walk-out.

Yes we sat with a partial plan for 14 years. I sat there when Nestor Aparicio had his group walk out in mass. I love this franchise. We finally had hope. A two year window to get a championship. This winter we lost our top reliever, second baseman, failed to add a starting pticher to one of the worse staffs in baseball, in fact we lost a starter in Feldman. A tough decision in tough economic times but we decided to put that money to family priorities instead of Mr. Angelos pocket. This offseason Mr. Angleos has proven he doesn't give a damn about the loyal fans that have stuck with this franchise through difficult times. I don't want a winning team. I want a championship. If Nestor Aparicio had another walk-out in protest instead of sitting there supporting the team like I did last time I would join the walk-out.

And then you too could be the laughing stock of Baltimore and even some National Media outlets. Lumping yourself with Nestor and his walkout group tells me quite all I need to know.

And then you too could be the laughing stock of Baltimore and even some National Media outlets. Lumping yourself with Nestor and his walkout group tells me quite all I need to know.

Read my post. I sat my through the previous walkout and supported the team. I have supported this team for 47 years. Thanks for getting back to me Roch/ Jim Hunter/Tom Davis.

Read my post. I sat my through the previous walkout and supported the team. I have supported this team for 47 years. Thanks for getting back to me Roch/ Jim Hunter/Tom Davis.

Right, but you said if they did it again you "would join the walk-out." I read your post just fine, thank you. Look, you can choose to do whatever you want. I choose to enjoy watching baseball, and enjoy watching my favorite team, at the ballpark. Its not for everyone, I grant you that, but it's for ME, and that's all I can be concerned with.

Sincerely,

Fred Manfra :D

Eh.

He is doing one for each team. What else is he supposed to say about the O's to a national audience? We are not his target audience.

Well that maybe true but do we need a new thread on here every time another one is posted on the Internet? I think we are fairly well aware that the Orioles haven't spent any money. I think we know the national media is aware that we haven't spent any money this off-season. I think we all know we could spend more money and the team could still be highly profitable.

Maybe there could be one thread for all the national media coverage stating that we should spend money on players.

Sorry it just seems like every time one of these is posted is just pouring salt into the wounds of the Oriole faithful on here.

Archived