Yanks get Tanaka 7y/$155M

isestrex

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with this assessment. I also think that 85 wins makes us a 4th place team. Remember, we tied with the Yanks at 85 wins last year, so essentially one could say we also tied for 4th as well.

I agree we aren't much worse, and I think improvements from Kakes, Wieters, pitchers growing up, and a healthy Reimold can make us better than last year. But I also don't expect 53 bombs from Davis. I think we are what we are...around 85 wins, for 4th place in the division.

I don't think 85 wins = 4th place.

SJ I don't know if we have a MVP candidate but we have several guys capable of getting very close to that level. Nick has had a 7.5 win season and is still capable of a 5 win season I would think. AJ has near MVP ability. MW was one of the all time great prospects so a huge year is possible. RF could put up a 5 win season. Manny putting two halves like 13 1st half. Young has been an impact bat in the past. Henry and Reimold both have huge upsides. Now none of these are terribly likely but one or two happening is really possible.

All in all think we are no worse then last year's team and have some real upside.

And people call ME a pie-eyed optimist.

Sure Machado, Davis, Jones could be legitimate MVP candidates - but that would be a situation where everything broke right. I am way beyond expecting MVP level play from Wieters or Markakis. I expect them to be great-elite in certain areas of their game while other deficiencies will continue to hold them back.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• McDermott has pitched parts of 6 months in AAA.  Here is the monthly WHIP breakdown, August 23' 25.2 IP 1.05 WHIP September 23' 12 IP 0.75 WHIP March 24' 4.1 IP 1.38 WHIP April 24' 17 IP 2.06 WHIP May 24' 25.2 IP 1.25 WHIP June 24' 23.1 IP 1.29 IP That April 2024 WHIP really skews the numbers. 
    • Not as much power right now, but that could be coming as his body fills out.
    • I'm not disagreeing about John's penny pinching vs. his father (who was willing to pay when they were good). John was way too methodical to a fault with the budget. There was clearly a margin he wanted to target and never deviated from it. I'm just addressing this notion that Rubenstein had any say in the budget when it came to Kimbrel or Burnes. People were trying to give credit to Rubenstein for Burnes. That happened back in February and ever since. It fundamentally misses how businesses are run and, hell, risk management and governance for that matter.
    • C'mon, you can't blame everything that's gone wrong for the Dodgers every year for the past decade on Kershaw.  I remember Byung Hyung-Kim single handedly trying to give the Yankees the World Series on a platter in 2001 and failing to do so.   I do believe you're partially correct, having more talent is key but I truly do believe that it's a bit of a crapshoot.  You've gotta get hot at the right time and the Rangers last year proved that.  I think you could play that postseason again 10 different times in a simulation and they'd only win it maybe once or twice.  You like your chances if you have more talent but the most talented team doesn't always win, Kershaw or not.  You don't have to look far to see those results.
    • I agree Povich could be more than a fifth starter. Plenty of guy have had successful ML careers without being flamethrowers. And aside from his first start? he's been better than average. Time will tell.  Despite Montgomery's ERA I still think he'd be a good option. He's been there before and he's nowhere near his career numbers as of yet. Lorenzen is up and down-witnessed by him throwing a no-hitter with Philly-then stinking it up after and being moved to the pen. He might help to fill out the rotation, but doesn't Povich do that now? Yes, Suarez and Irvin haven't been great lately, but maybe Elias hasn't seen the right piece become available, or they are available, but he doesn't like the terms. Unlike the "coming unglued" take it is a bad stretch. People complain because the bats slump for a few games and then when they do hit the pitching isn't synched up. It's a long season and I'd rather have the guy in charge be someone who is deliberate with deals than reactionary. Last I checked they are up six in the WC and oh, btw still just two back of NY in the division. I saw a report the Dodgers were interested in M Miller. Not to keep beating this drum, but he is the kind of guy who can solidify the bullpen and he's worthy of a haul. They can stretch him out and move him into the rotation, or he can be moved back into high leverage if that doesn't work out. The Dodgers have more resources than do the Orioles, but they often make moves based on winning it all in the year the moves are made. Hasn't worked out, except for the shortened season, but the approach is right.
    • Yes he did acquire Burnes. But with the additional salary added from him and Kimbrel, it is very plausible that under Angelos that was his threshold. The payroll was kept so low for so long it is not a stretch to conclude that Angelos has a heavy hand in that. Especially given the team revenue after all expenses was 99 million dollars last year alone. There are 100's of millions that never saw the light of day during the awfulness of the Angelos regime. The son in particular appears to have been stuffing his shirt, socks, and pockets with much of the profit that the team was bringing in.
    • Because that is all the salary that Angelos was willing to take on. Hopefully, Rubenstien offers more meaningful support.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now