Should the O's acquire Burnett?  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Should the O's acquire Burnett?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know, this might be silly, but I wonder if Peter would approve the deal, since it was only 1 year, and that way, he can point to his "haters", look, I do sign pitchers over 10+ million a year.

I don't know him as well as you, so I don't call him by his first name, but I certainly hope he doesn't look at things that way.

But, he is a lawyer through and through, so whose really knows his thought process. :)

Plenty of people know his thought process and they don't paint a pretty picture. I think El Gordo posted this first, but here's a snippet.

Didn’t they know who was boss, these general managers who’d come in to pitch a deal and say, “I need an answer within six hours?” You’ll give them an answer when you were good and ready. First, you cross-examined them like the top lawyer you are. Why do we want to trade Erik Bedard? Who is this prospect we’re getting in return? What makes you think he can hit in the major leagues? How good is Mike Lowell? Doesn’t Josh Beckett get hurt a lot? What would we be giving up in return? “His personality was so forceful, anyone who encountered any resistance after Gillick just backed off,” MacPhail says.

You’d win every argument, but did that mean you knew better or just that you were a better arguer? “He is, as a result of his successes, even more confident than he might otherwise be,” one longtime Orioles employee says. “He’s even more difficult to move off his pre-set positions.”

There are quotes from friends of his, too, so it's not a complete hit piece, but I'm sure some would call it that. Following the team for years it's hard to look at the man another way. And please, this isn't an invitation for the Angelos apologists to come out and tell me about all his benevolence over the years in the city. Maybe he could sell the baseball team and start a humanitarian non profit if he really thinks baseball is akin to a circus.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/08/26/Franchises/Peter-Angelos.aspx

Isn't the question really does Burnett want Baltimore? At this point in his career, trying to decide on retirement or not, he probably wants to go to a team that gives him the best shot at the playoffs. So if you are him, is that Baltimore or Pittsburgh?

Pittsburgh gives him the best shot, but that might not be his main calculation. Maybe if he's thinking about retirement, playing very close to home is more attractive.

Isn't the question really does Burnett want Baltimore? At this point in his career, trying to decide on retirement or not, he probably wants to go to a team that gives him the best shot at the playoffs. So if you are him, is that Baltimore or Pittsburgh?

If all the talk about his family was the truth, then yes it's a consideration. Besides, with him on the team it's not hurting our chances at the playoffs.

I doubt there's enough of a perceived difference in our playoff chances to make it about anything more than money/convenience. Baltimore is considered a young team with a whole lot of star power. I don't think we're as good as Pittsburgh but I also doubt Burnett reads Fangraphs as much as I do.

The team with AJ Burnett on it might have the better chance.

Archived