Rosenthal says deal done Jimenez (4/$50M - Official)

Greg

Sure looked like he found it last fall.

I am a LOT more worried about Norris and Jiminez then I am Gausman.

Gausman will be fine. But he's not ready to be a major league starter. That was eveident past year. Jimenez doesn't affect Gausman. If he's that good they will find a spot. I could see him replacing Gonzalez or Norris eventually.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jimenez gets four years and $50MM in the deal, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (Twitter links). Some of the money will be deferred, Heyman adds http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/02/orioles-to-sign-ubaldo-jimenez.html

I read it and strongly believe if we didn't go 4 years, he would have gone elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about Jimenez blows out his shoulder and Angelos is proved right again?

I'm not against this purchase, but let's not pretend they just signed Cy Young. Jimenez makes the Orioles better, no argument. How much better?

What if a frog had a holster to carry a pistol, would he be afraid of a snake? This world is full of what ifs. Making up doomsday scenarios is a weak argument. Using your logic the O's should never go out and get a good free agent who will surely be expensive because they could blow a shoulder or knee out. That doesn't make sense in my world. Simply going out and picking up free agents at the 5 and dime store just so you don't lose big money if the player gets hurt is a good way to assure a 4th place finish in your division.

Breakdown by month in 2013:

March/April: 7.13 ERA, 1.333 WHIP

May: 4.23 ERA, 1.373 WHIP

June: 3.09 ERA, 1.625 WHIP

July: 2.83 ERA, 1.360 WHIP

August: 3.10 ERA, 1.379 WHIP

September: 1.09 ERA, 1.016 WHIP

Was just about to post these numbers. If not for his horrid April, last year might have been considered Ubaldo's career year. He credits regaining his velocity to getting a hold of his inconsistent mechanics and a new pitch mix.

BPX values of Ubaldo/Santanafor the past 4 years:

2010: 134/91

2011: 119/108

2012: 21/77

2013: 114/116

Ubaldo has a higher ceiling and is a year younger. Santana had an aberration of a 1st half last year as he has never been a pitcher with pinpoint control and by June that started to show.

4 years is a little scary but sometimes you have to make a bold move like this to show people you are serious. Hope they go after Morales since they gave up a pick for Ubaldo.

My Plan A this offseason would have been to deal Wieters, Davis, JJ and Hardy (the latter two I suggested moving last offseason) for prospects.

Absent moving down that path, I think this is a decent move. I believe the price is around market value in years and average annual price with both some downside and certainly a good amount of upside left for the Orioles to benefit from. The signing slots a legitimate SP into our rotation and gives us a very legitimate starting four with Ubaldo, Tillman, MGon and Chen to go with further possible upside from Gausman.

There is the downside of an injury or weak performance, but I think Jiminez will give at least two strong years in those four - at which point I imagine Ubaldo could be traded for more value than the draft pick we are giving up. We'll see.

The Os put some chips on the table and the entire pitching staff looks much deeper suddenly. It will be interesting to see the next move by DD because with Ubaldo and possibly a decent Gausman, I think we are looking at 86 wins or so.

@Buster_ESPN: O's went to 4th year in their talks w/Jimenez out of concern BOS and/or TOR would go for three-year deal. But TOR/BOS didn't make offers.

I still like taking the risk, but it looks like this is another opportunity to bash the O's front office.

@Buster_ESPN: O's went to 4th year in their talks w/Jimenez out of concern BOS and/or TOR would go for three-year deal. But TOR/BOS didn't make offers.

I still like taking the risk, but it looks like this is another opportunity to bash the O's front office.

Whatever, I saw that. He would have gone elsewhere.

I'll make this simple. Its one year too many, but NOT if he's an effective pitcher ANYWHERE in the

rotation and that means NO 5 ERA's. Heres what I like.

It gives the Orioles SP rotation some options and some depth.

It gives Gausman some growing room..and Bundy too. It could mean Norris would

eventually go the pen if Tommy falters, and Gausman moves into Norris' slot.I don't like Ubaldo's

mechanical problems, but Wallace is a great mechanics guy and could maybe get him on track if he

goes off the rails. I hear the Red Sox were ready to give him 3 but not 4 years and the Orioles

pre-emptively made that move. AS I said, its one year too many, but not if he's just solid,not even

spectacular.Besides this is the going rate. Nolasco got the same money and Id rather have Jimenez

than Nolasco.If we get a DH like Morales I like this team a hell of a lot more.

Roy and I see eye to eye on this one. I think this move mitigates a number of risks and has a big upside if Jiminez is in his top form. Even if he's not, it takes a lot of pressure off the back end of the rotation and gives us more maneuvering room.

Archived