Rosenthal says deal done Jimenez (4/$50M - Official)

Greg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Ubaldo Jimenez and <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> agree 4 years/$50 million. He?s driving from Miami to Sarasota righ now for physical tomorrow</p>— Enrique Rojas/ESPN (@Enrique_Rojas1) <a href="

">February 18, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just FYI addressing the whole "he was only good in his last 8 starts" angle:

20 of Ubaldo ' 67 earned runs, about 30%, came from three meltdown starts, two in April and one in May. Velo was way down to start the season and rebounded well.

It might be an optimistic spin but heck, there's some legitimate cause for it.

FWIW, that's a 2.45 ERA for the season without those three early bombs.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

At his worst hes our #3, at his best hes almosr anyones #1. What are the odds our 1st rd pick in 2014 ever turns out to be at that level?? Very small. This deal is a nobrainer, sorry

Totally agree with this.

Draft picks are so overrated, specially when it's pick #10+

Have people complaining about this deal seen Jimenez pitching?

He has the potential to be our ace and he's only 30.

Great deal, we needed this so bad.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Ubaldo Jimenez: First 4 starts of 2013 (0-2, 10.06 ERA), Final 28 starts (13-7, 2.61 ERA) <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLB&src=hash">#MLB</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Kevin Paul (@kevinspaul) <a href="

We all would have preferred a 3 year deal, but I could have absolutely seen Ubaldo taking a 3 year deal from Boston over a 4year deal from us. This is a competitive business and we're in a competitive division. We're competing against 2 teams with seemingly limitless funds (NYY & BOS). I believe we had to go to the 4th year to wrap the negotiations. We could have waited it out and risked losing him.

I was in the camp who wanted Garza b/c he didn't cost a draft pick. That said, I think Ubaldo has more upside than Garza. Money and pick aside, I would take Ubaldo over Garza.

As a fan, I'm so tired of losing FAs for this reason or that reason. I'm happy to have this guy and I don't care that we had to overpay a little to do it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>MLB leaders in ERA in 2nd half last year (min 80 IP). 1st-Clayton Kershaw, 1.59. 2nd-Ubaldo Jimenez 1.82.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>MLB leaders in ERA in 2nd half last year (min 80 IP). 1st-Clayton Kershaw, 1.59. 2nd-Ubaldo Jimenez 1.82.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

I did not realize this. Wow!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> have made substantial progress on Jimenez and are working to finalize deal. Believed 4 years and around $48 mil.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">February 17, 2014</a></blockquote>

Great job by Orioles to sign a player whom, we hope, is difference maker, well done.

The tweets are coming in about the scorching second half of 2013.

Let's temper our enthusiasm regarding Ubaldo a little. I fully expect him to have some awful starts; he is simply a pitcher with a high walk rate, and sometimes the team defense won't bail him out. But for what the Orioles are paying for him I'd be fine with these numbers, his career averages:

112 ERA+, 1.345 WHIP, 8.1 H/9, 0.7 HR/9, 4.0 BB/9, 8.3 K/9

Last season a 112 ERA+ would fall between Tillman's 3.71 ERA (113) and Miguel Gonzalez's 3.78 ERA (111). Tillman finished 16-7 and Gonzalez finished 11-8.

That's good money for Jimenez. But I'm for it. We need veteran starting pitching. I wouldn't assume he's out number two guy. I would suspect that Gonzo or Chen would both have a legit shot at number two. But that doesn't matter much either, really. Tillman, Jimenez, Chen, Gonzalez, Norris/Gausman/Britton/Yoon... could make for a very interesting rotation. There's a ton of potential there, from top to bottom. Now, if we could add a good DH, we'd be ready.

Just for curiosity sake, how much better was our defense than Cleveland's last year? Also, could our better defense give him the confidence to throw more strikes knowing that if it gets put in play, we can go get it?

I'd be curious to see the numbers and hear your expectations of how out defense will help him with his ground ball ability (he is a gb pitcher right?)

Archived