Rosenthal says deal done Jimenez (4/$50M - Official)

Greg

Last season Cleveland was 5th in the AL in errors, 10th in fielding % and 12th in double-plays turned.

Last season Baltimore was last in the AL in errors, 1st in fielding % and 3rd in double-plays turned.

Here are the total zone fielding runs above/below average for the Cleveland players with at least 100 chances:

9 Nick Swisher

7 Yan Gomes

4 Mike Aviles

3 Jason Kipnis

1 Asdrubal Cabrera

1 Lonnie Chisenhall

-----

-1 Michael Bourn

-5 Ryan Raburn

-6 Mark Reynolds

-6 Carlos Santana

-11 Drew Stubbs

-17 Michael Brantley

The Indians were -25 runs saved above average as a team, while the Orioles were +25 runs saved. Comparing just the infields, here are the 2013 Indians vs. the projected 2014 Orioles:

1B - 9 (Swisher) vs -4 (Davis)

2B - 3 (Kipnis) vs 9 (Flaherty)

3B - -6 (Reynolds) vs 32 (Machado)

SS - 1 (Cabrera) vs 4 (Hardy)

total: 7 runs saved above average vs 41 runs saved above average

Add Lough to the OF mix and more playing time for Flaherty and the Orioles may have an even better defense in 2014 than their historic 2013 team.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Last season Cleveland was 5th in the AL in errors, 10th in fielding % and 12th in double-plays turned.

Last season Baltimore was last in the AL in errors, 1st in fielding % and 3rd in double-plays turned.

Here are the total zone fielding runs above/below average for the Cleveland players with at least 100 chances:

9 Nick Swisher

7 Yan Gomes

4 Mike Aviles

3 Jason Kipnis

1 Asdrubal Cabrera

1 Lonnie Chisenhall

-----

-1 Michael Bourn

-5 Ryan Raburn

-6 Mark Reynolds

-6 Carlos Santana

-11 Drew Stubbs

-17 Michael Brantley

The Indians were -25 runs saved above average as a team, while the Orioles were +25 runs saved. Comparing just the infields, here are the 2013 Indians vs. the projected 2014 Orioles:

1B - 9 (Swisher) vs -4 (Davis)

2B - 3 (Kipnis) vs 9 (Flaherty)

3B - -6 (Reynolds) vs 32 (Machado)

SS - 1 (Cabrera) vs 4 (Hardy)

total: 7 runs saved above average vs 41 runs saved above average

Add Lough to the OF mix and more playing time for Flaherty and the Orioles may have an even better defense in 2014 than their historic 2013 team.[/quote

Wow, that's some serious defense.

Thank you for posting this, it makes me feel better knowing that the NYY defense isn't so hot.

Can you imagine if Jimenez pitches better than the Japanese they just got? That'd feel so great.

Can you tell I hate the Yankees?

What if a frog had a holster to carry a pistol, would he be afraid of a snake? This world is full of what ifs. Making up doomsday scenarios is a weak argument. Using your logic the O's should never go out and get a good free agent who will surely be expensive because they could blow a shoulder or knee out. That doesn't make sense in my world. Simply going out and picking up free agents at the 5 and dime store just so you don't lose big money if the player gets hurt is a good way to assure a 4th place finish in your division.

Yes the frog would still be scared....its a friggin snake! Everyone fears snakes! Even Indiana Jones!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Ubaldo Jimenez and <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> agree 4 years/$50 million. He?s driving from Miami to Sarasota righ now for physical tomorrow</p>? Enrique Rojas/ESPN (@Enrique_Rojas1) <a href="
">February 18, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Driving that trip at 10:30 at night? Oh No!

Speaking of Ken Rosenthal

29. Athletics. Built to succeed — by 2016. The rotation is inexperienced, center fielder Yoenis Cespedes is a gamble, and first baseman Brandon Allen and third baseman Josh Donaldson will not be confused with Prince Fielder and Miguel Cabrera. There also is this: One of the Obama girls might become president before the A’s move to San Jose.

27. Orioles. The decision on center fielder Adam Jones will be the latest test of this sorry franchise, which is headed for its 15th straight losing season. Jones is eligible for free agency after the 2013 season. The Orioles need either to sign him long-term or trade him. If history is any indicator, they will do nothing.

Well now we have Davis and Wieters coming up and they have done nothing in regards to those two and they have Scott Boras in the way!

I think the Jimenez signing indicates the Orioles are going for it the next two years and the likelihood of extending Davis or Wieters is unlikely. I fully expect Kendrys Morales to be signed today or tomorrow. Especially with Buck stating he prefers a FT DH. Jimenez wss the first domino. With players reporting to camp, Buck and DD want to get this done and get going.

Hard to believe that Jimenez is the third biggest FA contract in club history behind Tejada and Belle. Especially in this day and age of 100m contracts. Which is another reason I think Davis and Wieters are gone. It will take 100m to lock each up.

I think the Jimenez signing indicates the Orioles are going for it the next two years and the likelihood of extending Davis or Wieters is unlikely. I fully expect Kendrys Morales to be signed today or tomorrow. Especially with Buck stating he prefers a FT DH. Jimenez wss the first domino. With players reporting to camp, Buck and DD want to get this done and get going.

Hard to believe that Jimenez is the third biggest FA contract in club history behind Tejada and Belle. Especially in this day and age of 100m contracts. Which is another reason I think Davis and Wieters are gone. It will take 100m to lock each up.

But Jones, Kakes, Roberts, Mora, and others were signed to very nice long term contracts. Angelos has been more willing to extend his own than to pay for others.

But Jones, Kakes, Roberts, Mora, and others were signed to very nice long term contracts. Angelos has been more willing to extend his own than to pay for others.

Wasn't trying to bash Angelos. I give the Orioles credit for locking up their own. Hopefully Davis will be next.

Good post, agreed.

Archived