Orioles have traded Alex Gonzalez to the Detroit Tigers

xian4

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Monell swung a decent bat, but my lasting impression of him will be watching him in one of the televised games basically be unable to catch any pitch that Darren O'Day threw cleanly.

His receiving skills were definitely sub par.

Really have to like this move if for no other reason it provides roster flexibility. Lambardozzi has options. It looks like Castilla/Weeks may be on the move.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Weeks DFA coming (option or not). I'm sure they see Lombardozzi as an upgrade. Casilla is on a Minor League deal. I can almost see him making the club on opening day now.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Weeks DFA coming (option or not). I'm sure they see Lombardozzi as an upgrade. Casilla is on a Minor League deal. I can almost see him making the club on opening day now.

Yep. But wouldn't Castilla cost more if they brought him up? Although the fact that he can play SS is big plus in this instance.

In a vacuum I don't really understand this move as he seems to be younger, cheaper, and a less talented version of Gonzalez.

But I do also think we have more moves coming. Hope this guy doesn't start at 2B on March 31 ahead of Schoop.

Well if he has more experience than Schoop at 2nd I have no problem with him

starting over Schoop.

Taking a 37 year-old NRI with no bat who did not have a clear fit on the team and trading him for a 25 year-old with no bat who is a better positional fit and has options is a win. It is likely not a big win but it is still an overall upgrade.

Even if Lombardozzi makes the team, I am not sure this move has an impact on any other roster decisions save for the obvious (that Gonzalez won't be on the opening day 25-man). With Manny on the DL to begin the season there was always going to be room on the roster for two backup infielders (not counting Flaherty) and two of Young/Pearce/Reimold. If Weeks or Schoop were going to make the team before this move, they likely still are.

Archived