Lurking: Ryan Flaherty?

Frobby

That .703 OPS is an illusion, as was the .798 OPS a day ago. That's the point. Regardless of how bad Schoop looks right now.

I'm not disagreeing with you on that point but I still think Schoop doesn't belong in the majors. Not even close. Terrible walk and strikeout rate, very little power, not outstanding defensively, and the lowest LD% among qualifiers in all of baseball. He's only gotten worse since he's been up here. He hasn't adjusted at all. Let him go down and work on his plate discipline in Norfolk so he doesn't have to go through those growing pains up here and bring the teams's record down with him.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not disagreeing with you on that point but I still think Schoop doesn't belong in the majors. Not even close. Terrible walk and strikeout rate, very little power, not outstanding defensively, and the lowest LD% among qualifiers in all of baseball. He's only gotten worse since he's been up here. He hasn't adjusted at all. Let him go down and work on his plate discipline in Norfolk so he doesn't have to go through those growing pains up here and bring the teams's record down with him.

At this point, I don't disagree entirely. Until Manny is completely healthy, however, I don't think Schoop is going anywhere. The brass seems to have made the decision to let him work things out at the ML level, but if he doesn't show signs of progress, I imagine they'll have to send him down sooner rather than later. I still think you're looking at another month before that happens, though.

That said, you've struck at the real point: it's not about Flaherty right now. I don't like him as a player, and I don't think his ceiling is very high, but that's almost irrelevant when it comes to whether Schoop should be playing in the majors right this second. Schoop's been really, really bad. If he doesn't turn things around soon, hopefully they'll send him down to let him work on things with less pressure lest they screw him up for an entire season.

FYI, going into today's game, Flaherty's OPS was ".798 in May." After today's game, Flaherty's May OPS dropped to .703. That's what happens when you go 0-4 and have only 30 ABs during the month.

That's also why it's ridiculous to bring up his monthly career stats to support the idea that Flash hits better as seasons go on when he only has 40-50 something ABs per month for each of his "good" months. Flaherty could hit two HRs tomorrow and see his May OPS skyrocket, or he could go 0-fer again and watch it drop into the mid/low .600's. And based on what we've all seen, I'd wager the latter is more likely.

I would wager anyone's first born young on this site that Flaherty is never going to hit any better than lousy his entire major league career. He is a left handed Robert Andino.

At this point, I don't disagree entirely. Until Manny is completely healthy, however, I don't think Schoop is going anywhere. The brass seems to have made the decision to let him work things out at the ML level, but if he doesn't show signs of progress, I imagine they'll have to send him down sooner rather than later. I still think you're looking at another month before that happens, though.

That said, you've struck at the real point: it's not about Flaherty right now. I don't like him as a player, and I don't think his ceiling is very high, but that's almost irrelevant when it comes to whether Schoop should be playing in the majors right this second. Schoop's been really, really bad. If he doesn't turn things around soon, hopefully they'll send him down to let him work on things with less pressure lest they screw him up for an entire season.

Schoop is indeed bad but there is hope for him as he is younger than Flaherty and maybe just needs more seasoning. Flaherty on the other hand is what he is, a mediocre (at best) utility guy, who does nothing all that great, nor all that terrible except he is so inconsistent that I don't want him in an Orioles uniform after this season. He needs to go...

I would wager anyone's first born young on this site that Flaherty is never going to hit any better than lousy his entire major league career. He is a left handed Robert Andino.

I think he is about to get hot. Because he's be playing regularly.

I think he is about to get hot. Because he's be playing regularly.

He's played "regularly" before, even at the start of this season and hit terribly. I don't see what will change for him now all of a sudden.

And it's not April?

Because he has played pretty regularly the last three Aprils and hasn't hit a lick.

This. Amen. Some here tend to ignore obvious facts such as this when it comes to Flaherrty, yet will crucify other players like Delmon Young...

Over the past calendar year Flaherty has appeared in 83 games. During that time he has a slash line of .248/.311/.408 with a wRC+ of 95 and has been worth 1.4 WAR. That is with only 273 PA's as well, much less than 83 games worth. Flaherty is the best option we have at 2nd right now AINEC. The guy can play given the chance, and is much better than Schoop at the moment.

Over the past calendar year Flaherty has appeared in 83 games. During that time he has a slash line of .248/.311/.408 with a wRC+ of 95 and has been worth 1.4 WAR. That is with only 273 PA's as well, much less than 83 games worth. Flaherty is the best option we have at 2nd right now AINEC. The guy can play given the chance, and is much better than Schoop at the moment.

No he can't play when given the chance, at least not up to the standards of a good major league second baseman. When he starts anywhere, he is the weakest link on the team. I am personally tired of all this Flaherty love. It it beyond absurd for sure. Most here didn't cry any tears over Robert Andino being let go, and I cannot fathom why anyone doesn't feel exactly the same about Flaherty. At least Andino will always be remembered in Orioles lore for his big hit in knocking Boston out of the playoffs. Flaherty is going to be remembered for nothing, other than a bunch of stupid threads on the Orioles Hangout.

Archived