Schoop - The Blessing.

Ommaculate

The ASG is a popularity contest and not necessary a contest of the best MLB players, always has been, always will be. Not much we can do about it, unfortunately.

I see people get on him for lack of range, and yet, I see him in deep OF on flyballs, and even deep in foul territory.

I love his hands and arm, and his ability to turn the DP.

He is a threat with his bat, and hopefully, will continue to grow as a hitter.

So you're saying Cano only made the ASG because it's a popularity contest?

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you're saying Cano only made the ASG because it's a popularity contest?

Sorry, was not trying so sling mud onto Cano.

Jeter for years made the ASG, despite being one of the worst SS in the game.

Even Wieters was getting votes while being out for TJ surgery.

Sorry, was not trying so sling mud onto Cano.

Jeter for years made the ASG, despite being one of the worst SS in the game.

Even Wieters was getting votes while being out for TJ surgery.

Woah. Jeter was not one of the worst shorstops in the game for very long. Per fWAR, the only year in which he was below average (2.0 fWAR) and made the all star team was his final season. Cal Ripken, on the other hand, did it four times. So let's not throw stones here.

He's not a snub no matter how many Orioles fans complain he is. He's having a good year no doubt, but there are arguably 5 guys at 2B in the AL having better years. How many second basemen should be on the All Star team?

Agreed. He happens to play a position where a lot of guys are having great years!

Cano is 9 years older than Schoop, so eventually Schoop will be the better player, if he stays healthy. I'd say Cano will likely be the better player for 2-3 years after this one. Right now for 2016, Cano's at 3.5 fWAR, Schoop is at 1.9.

I'll go on record and say Schoop, over his career. won't come close to matching Cano.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I'll go on record and say Schoop, over his career. won't come close to matching Cano.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I hope you didn't read my comment as disagreeing with that. I agree with you. But I'd take the rest of Schoop's career over the rest of Cano's career, especially if you factor in the salaries.

So, everyone has been talking about Cano as a possible comp for Schoop, which makes sense as he’s a power hitting 2B from the Caribbean. I’m not sure it fits entirely, though, for reasons others have mentioned.

Someone brought up Adam Jones as an infielder, which is a pretty good one. How about this one, though?

Miguel Tejada

First four seasons in the MLB:

1997 (23) – 104 PA .202/.240/.333/.574

1998 (24) – 407 PA .233/.298/.384/.681

1999 (25) – 674 PA .251/.325/.427/.751

1999 (26) – 681 PA .275/.340/.479/.828

For his career:

.285/.336/.456/.791

His walk rate is a little bit better than Schoop’s, but he was a later-bloomer than Schoop. I think they have fairly similar offensive games.

Currently, in his age-24 season, Schoop is posting a .304/.338/.509/.847

Look at Miggy’s MVP season (2002, age-28): .308/.354/.508/.861

Sorry if someone has already mentioned this one…

OFFNY said:

o

The route that the Orioles are taking with Schoop is somewhat similar to the route that the Tigers took with Ron LeFlore back in 1974, 1975, and 1976.

Like Schoop, LeFlore was "force fed" as a starting position player. LeFlore had hit well at the minor league A-level in '74, but they skipped him over the AA-level, and he only played 9 GAMES at the AAA-level before being promoted to the Tigers that same year ...... as their starting centerfielder.

In that 1974 season, LeFlore was pretty bad offensively. His batting average was decent, but his OBP was only .302, and he struck out a lot.

More of the same occurred in 1975 (decent batting average, but a low OBP, and he struck out a lot.)

In 1976, LeFlore finally broke through, batting .316 with an OBP of .376, stealing 58 bases, and having a memorable 30-game hitting streak.

Additionally, LeFlore cut down on his strikeouts somewhat in 1976, but (more significantly)his walk rate improved considerably.

Now ...... I'm not saying that Schoop will necessarily prosper offensively like LeFlore did in his 7-year prime from 1976-1982. And I understand that with LeFlore, the circumstances were different for 2 reasons:

A) ) Those 1974 and 1975 Tigers teams were awful, so the Tigers really didn't have a lot to lose by continually sending LeFlore out there over and over again until he succeeded. The 2014 Orioles, on the other hand, are in 1st place and have a lot more at stake than did those Tigers teams that LeFlore played on in the mid-1970's.

AND

B) LeFlore had spent several years in prison, and was already 26 years-old when the Tigers promoted him and plugged him into their starting lineup in 1974. Schoop, on the other hand, is only 21 years-old, and he also had a much more extensive minor league career than did LeFlore.

But ......... the force-feeding into the starting lineup of a player that had not hit well at the highest levels of the minors (LeFlore in fact, had virtually no career above the A-level in the minors) is what is similar, and why I find it interesting.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lefloro01.shtml

Thanks for bearing with me. ) :o

o

o

I'd love to have a Ron LeFlore-like offensive player to go along with Schoop's defense at 2nd base.

o

I like the Tejada comp.

Miguel Tejada is what made me an Orioles fan back in the early 2000's along with B-Rob. Loved that guy. Let's just say that it was a pretty rough go at it as an Orioles fan for me up until about 4-5 years ago. :laughlol:

I like the Tejada comp.

Miguel Tejada is what made me an Orioles fan back in the early 2000's along with B-Rob. Loved that guy. Let's just say that it was a pretty rough go at it as an Orioles fan for me up until about 4-5 years ago. :laughlol:

For all Orioles fans. For a decade and one half. Until Buck and Dan took over.

FYbjCD.gif

Archived