Schoop - The Blessing.

Ommaculate

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

How applicable is Rougned Odor's new contract to what Schoop might get? Schoop has one more year of experience, but is two years older, and has yet to have the breakout season Odor had last year, though he's still been pretty good on both sides of the ball, IMO. Odor just signed a 6 year deal worth $49.5M. If we could get Schoop to sign that, I'd do it in a second. 

I raised this in another Schoop thread.    I think Odor is likely to be slightly better than Schoop going forward, though it's close.   Schoop is a year ahead on the arbitration/free agency calendar.  Note that Odor's deal does not kick in until 2018, his first arbitration year.    Based on all that, I'd say 5/$40 mm would be about the right number for Schoop (he's already getting $3.475 mm this year, so that's the equivalent of 6/$43.5 mm, about $1 mm/yr less than Odor over the life of the deal).

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I raised this in another Schoop thread.    I think Odor is likely to be slightly better than Schoop going forward, though it's close.   Schoop is a year ahead on the arbitration/free agency calendar.  Note that Odor's deal does not kick in until 2018, his first arbitration year.    Based on all that, I'd say 5/$40 mm would be about the right number for Schoop (he's already getting $3.475 mm this year, so that's the equivalent of 6/$43.5 mm, about $1 mm/yr less than Odor over the life of the deal).

Sounds to me like Schoop is shaping up to be a pretty affordable, yet extremely important core player for us. Like Jones, Hardy, and Trumbo. Gotta have a few guys like this.

More importantly, I hope the FO doesn't blow it with him.

6 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Sounds to me like Schoop is shaping up to be a pretty affordable, yet extremely important core player for us. Like Jones, Hardy, and Trumbo. Gotta have a few guys like this.

More importantly, I hope the FO doesn't blow it with him.

Honestly, the way our front office operates, it will be a shock to me when they sign one of our younger key players to an extension before they are free agent eligible.    It's happened exactly once in the Duquette era (Adam Jones).     

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, the way our front office operates, it will be a shock to me when they sign one of our younger key players to an extension before they are free agent eligible.    It's happened exactly once in the Duquette era (Adam Jones).     

I hear you. Which is why I said I hope they don't blow it. But Schoop is a Jones-caliber player, IMO. Can't let that guy get away under any circumstances.

On 3/31/2017 at 11:22 AM, Sanfran327 said:

I hear you. Which is why I said I hope they don't blow it. But Schoop is a Jones-caliber player, IMO. Can't let that guy get away under any circumstances.

Schoop has a long way to go to become a Jones-caliber player. He may have more power potential than Jones, but I don't see any other way in which Schoop is equal or better than Jones in his prime. He's not as good a fielder (and plays a less important defensive position), he doesn't have as much speed, and even compared to Jones he's not good at getting on base. Schoop has a career .283 OBP to Jones's .318.

Hopefully Schoop will take a step forward this season and become a star, but it's too early to call him a Jones-caliber player.

My boy Schoop really choked last night with 2nd and 3rd and 1 out. 1-0 count and he chases an outside pitch and pops up to the 1B. We really needed a run there and that swung momentum early towards the sox. He's still young but looks like the same old hitter that won't grind out AB's. His defense will be fine, but it's frustrating to see that his approach hasn't changed. 

He's off to a poor start.    The nature of his game is that he's going to be streaky.     But I had hoped to see some development this year, and the early signs are that he's the same guy we've seen the last couple of years.   

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I had hoped to see some development this year, and the early signs are that he's the same guy we've seen the last couple of years.   

Palmer seemed to be hammering this home last night.  Still early but he's got the worst approach on the team and one of the longer swings.

I wouldn't be surprised if Flaherty is at 2b today, because he's swinging out of his shoes at every pitch right now.

At the end of the day, they probably stunted his development by rolling with him as a 22 year old in 2014.

34 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

He's off to a poor start, but it's early.  It's been six games.  Maybe Buck sits him against a righty to get Flash some PT.

For comparison, Anthony Rendon has an OPS lower than Schoop's by 42 points right now.  Let's be a little patient.

Oh, we absolutely have to be patient.   My general rule of thumb is that you need to wait until the end of May to consider making any big changes regarding players with a track record.    That said, I'd have no trouble letting Flaherty start a game once in a while when Schoop is struggling.   

10 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I think we should see what Jim Presley is doing, and get him back as our swing coach

I don't think it matters much.    Our offense has had largely the same characteristics regardless of whether Crowley, Presley or Coolbaugh was the hitting coach. Schoop had a sub-.600 OPS under Presley in 2014.

3 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Schoop has a .282 career OBP in 1408 at-bats. Speaks for itself.

Well, sort of.    His rookie year was .244.    His second year (in which he missed half the season) was .306.    Then last year he was at .338 at the all-star break.   I really felt like the kid had made trenendous progress.    Then he regressed all the way to .252 in the second half of the year and has looked very overanxious in the early going this year.     I don't know if the pitchers figured something out that he hasn't adjusted to, or if he's just fallen into bad habits.   Either way, he needs to get back on track.  

Archived