High time for Schoop to go down?

LookitsPuck

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd really like to see a full season out of Schoop to see how he does. I really think he's going to be good, but it just may not be this year. Send Flaherty down, and go with a Lombo/Schoop combo at 2B. Flaherty is what he is, and he won't get much better.

Well Flaherty can play all three infield positions and play them well something Schoop can't.

Am I'm not 100% positive, but if we sent Schoop to the Minors for a while wouldn't we gain an extra year of team control on the kid?

Well Flaherty can play all three infield positions and play them well something Schoop can't.

Am I'm not 100% positive, but if we sent Schoop to the Minors for a while wouldn't we gain an extra year of team control on the kid?

Of course the same is true of Flaherty and yet the FO hasn't bothered to do so. :scratchchinhmm:

Because your analogy if the two players and situations is really bad?

Just saying, for those that want to replace Schoop at second with Flaherty, and decide to use the seventh year as an argument. The FO evidently doesn't think enough of Flaherty to send him down and ensure the seventh year.

For those that want to send Schoop down for a myriad of other reasons and are happy, despite him hitting a HR the other day, to have Flaherty be a utility guy, please disregard. :D

Just saying, for those that want to replace Schoop at second with Flaherty, and decide to use the seventh year as an argument. The FO evidently doesn't think enough of Flaherty to send him down and ensure the seventh year.

For those that want to send Schoop down for a myriad of other reasons and are happy, despite him hitting a HR the other day, to have Flaherty be a utility guy, please disregard. :D

Among other factors, arguing service time concerns between Schoop and Flaherty is a ridiculous point. I'm sure you know that and understand the difference.

Among other factors, arguing service time concerns between Schoop and Flaherty is a ridiculous point. I'm sure you know that and understand the difference.

Sorry I don't. I think it is telling that the O's have had chances to get the seventh year of control from Flaherty and have not bothered.

I think they view him as a utility guy, which has value, but it isn't someone you are going to game the system for. Once they hit arb 2 you start looking for a replacement.

Sorry I don't. I think it is telling that the O's have had chances to get the seventh year of control from Flaherty and have not bothered.

I think they view him as a utility guy, which has value, but it isn't someone you are going to game the system for. Once they hit arb 2 you start looking for a replacement.

You answered your own question. That said it's much more nuanced as Flaherty was viewed as the primary starter this year.

I'm not convinced he was.

No way to ever tell.

Well, we didn't sign a veteran second baseman, so (putting aside the MM issue) who do you think they were counting on to start the season at second base? Schoop/Weeks/Lombo?

Well, we didn't sign a veteran second baseman, so (putting aside the MM issue) who do you think they were counting on to start the season at second base? Schoop/Weeks/Lombo?

I think that if Manny had been full go at the start of the season there is a decent chance that Schoop would have been the starting second baseman this season instead of Flaherty.

Schoop had a very impressive spring.

I think that if Manny had been full go at the start of the season there is a decent chance that Schoop would have been the starting second baseman this season instead of Flaherty.

Schoop had a very impressive spring.

They were counting on Schoop to have a strong ST and make the team as the starting second baseman? I don't think so. If anything, RF going to third should have been a no brainer then.

They were counting on Schoop to have a strong ST and make the team as the starting second baseman? I don't think so. If anything, RF going to third should have been a no brainer then.

I am going by the end of spring training, not the beginning. If you want to look at if from the view of the offseason then I think it was an open competition between Flaherty and Weeks.

I am going by the end of spring training, not the beginning. If you want to look at if from the view of the offseason then I think it was an open competition between Flaherty and Weeks.

I believe this.

Archived