Just Keep on Winning the Series

Jonesy10

o

12-3-1 over their last 16 series after taking 2 out of 3 from the Angels.

This really has been a remarkable run. The starting pitching has been amazing. If we could string together a run of 9 or 10 we would put this race out of reach right here. Go O's. I have to believe that 1/2 of our starting lineup is better than .230. We only have a couple of over-achievers offensively right now - Pearce (but he's cooled off), Cruz (but he's cooled off), Jones (but his ascent is sort of in line with his career progression). Compare that to the lack of productivity at 2B, C (oh yeah, we're missing Wieters for the whole year), 1B, and SS (this is a severe drop off from the Hardy production that we're used to).

I like our chances. If Ubaldo gets hot, and with the addition of Miller, the pitching can hold up. The offense has a lot of improvement left in the tank.

I couldn't care less that they took the "series" from LAA. They lost the game and at the end of the day today's loss cost them in the standings.

It's quite simple. If you keep winning series that is at least a .667 winning percentage. Name a single team in the majors with a win percentage that is that good. If the Jays can achieve that, then they deserve the division. But I can about 100% guarantee they won't. In fact, their July win % which you seem so concerned about, is .576; not even close to that pace.

Want to guess what the O's win % was for this month? ::Hint:: It's greater than .667

I couldn't care less that they took the "series" from LAA. They lost the game and at the end of the day today's loss cost them in the standings.

I actually agree with this, to an extent.

You all know that I am the king of the "One game at a time" philosophy, so I am upset with the latest loss ...... regardless of the fact that we won the overall series.

However ...... in hindsight, I think that it's a good thing that the Orioles took the series, and that they have gone 12-3-1 over their last 16 series.

That's (obviously) a very big reason why the Orioles are currently sitting in first place in the division, as they have gone 32-20 in those 16 series ...... that's a .615 winning percentage over almost 1/3 of the season (52 games.)

I actually agree with this, to an extent.

You all know that I am the king of the "One game at a time" philosophy, so I am upset with the latest loss ...... regardless of the fact that we won the overall series.

However ...... in hindsight, I think that it's a good thing that the Orioles took the series, and that they have gone 12-3-1 over their last 16 series.

That's (obviously) a very big reason why the Orioles are currently sitting in first place in the division, as they have gone 32-20 in those 16 series ...... that's a .615 winning percentage over almost 1/3 of the season (52 games.)

32-20 is why they sit atop the AL east, not the 12-3-1 in series. You can change the series record to be better or worse and the Orioles could still be 32-20 over that stretch.

It's quite simple. If you keep winning series that is at least a .667 winning percentage. Name a single team in the majors with a win percentage that is that good. If the Jays can achieve that, then they deserve the division. But I can about 100% guarantee they won't. In fact, their July win % which you seem so concerned about, is .576; not even close to that pace.

Want to guess what the O's win % was for this month? ::Hint:: It's greater than .667

I never implied that at all.

32-20 is why they sit atop the AL east, not the 12-3-1 in series. You can change the series record to be better or worse and the Orioles could still be 32-20 over that stretch.

You're splitting heirs with a person that agrees with you, and I've stated why.

At worst ..... if the Orioles had been swept in all 3 of their series losses, and if they had not swept any of their 12 series wins (neither of which is true), the Orioles still would have gone 29-23.

At best ...... they could have gone 47-5.

So what ???

Winning series over a long period of time requires that a team win AT LEAST 2 out of 3 games, or AT LEAST 3 out of 4 games.

And no matter how you slice that, if a team wins an overwhelming amount of series over a long period of time (such as the Orioles going 12-3-1 in 16 consecutive series), it will result in a record that is well above .500.

We win another series and the Jays are already falling off the pace. See how nicely this works?

If Houston's lead holds up, it will mean despite playing the likes of Boston, Texas, and Houston since the second half started while we have played Oakland, Anaheim 2x, and Seattle 2x that Toronto will have gained a half game. I know we're not hitting but that makes me smile. I think we're gonna show them who the leaders of the AL East are this week.

o

13-3-1 over their last 17 series after taking 2 out 3 from the Mariners.

And for good measure, the Orioles beat the Nationals tonight in a make-up game to keep that series in the "W" column (3 games to 1), and not the "T" column (2 games apiece.)