2014 A.L. East Standings

OFFNY

How do they come up with those odds? Yankees and Orioles still play 8 times. 6 game lead is nothing.

Using your logic, we'd have 8 games left against the Yankees with a 6 game lead and then the season would end. That's why you don't understand how they come up with those odds. You have to figure that the Yankees need to win 6 games that the O's lose, while playing other teams as well. They take into account things like strength of schedule, home/road games, records vs opponents. You are looking it at in a very simplistic way. The next time we play the Yankees we could have a 3 game lead or a 14 game lead. It's basically a 12 game swing they need until we play them.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How do they come up with those odds? Yankees and Orioles still play 8 times. 6 game lead is nothing.

Because the Yankees are mediocre at best. Their pythagorean record is 61-67.

In a computer model, the O's win 4 or 5 of the remaining 8 games between the two teams, which means that the Yankees have to be 6 or 7 games better than the O's over 25 games. That's a monumental task for a mediocre team.

o

PLAYOFF ODDS O (E.S.P.N.)

ORIOLES .....)0O 75-55 OOOOO 96.7 %

YANKEES .....)Oo 68-62 OOOOO 6.80 %

BLUE JAYS)..O 66-66 OOOOO 1.20 %

D-RAYS........).0O 64-68 OOOOO 0.10 %

RED SOX OOOOO 58-74 OOOOO 0.10 %

94.5% probabilty of winning the division now.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/probability.jsp?ymd=20140826

That's the M.L.B.com version.

As you can see, I am (and have been) using the E.S.P.N. version, as I have typed out on the top line of my posts:

Everyone is right. CA cited the probability of winning the division but the MLB site (powered by Baseball Prospectus) also gives them a 2% chance of winning the wild card, bringing them to a 96.5% probability of playoffs. Just a tad lower than ESPN.

Everyone is right. CA cited the probability of winning the division but the MLB site (powered by Baseball Prospectus) also gives them a 2% chance of winning the wild card, bringing them to a 96.5% probability of playoffs. Just a tad lower than ESPN.

I never said that CA was wrong, or that I was right.

CA quoted me in reference to the odds changing, presuming that his finding was using the same chart as the one that I had posted, and I pointed out that it wasn't.

If anyone wants to post different versions than the one that I am using from ESPN, then by all means do so, but I don't want them to be incorrectly intertwined/compared.

o

We have a thread in the M.L.B. section if posters want to follow and talk about the Yankees/Tigers game:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/140033-Off-Day-for-the-O-s-Root-Against-the-Yankees/page17

There is also the Yankees' annual thread in said section:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/140032-2014-New-York-Yankees/page18

Archived