2014 A.L. East Standings

OFFNY

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At least they're performing a little closer to expectations now. They really should be an above .500 team at the end of the year. Unfortunately for them, they're now in David Price limbo.

Yeah, I still don't think they win the division. As Jonesy said, they really don't have enough games left to get to 18 (90 wins) or 20 (91 wins) over .500 and really push for the division. They could make a run for the 2nd WC spot, but I would still expect one of the teams ahead of them to get hot and get closer to that 90 win threshold that it usually takes.

Though, if they hold on to Price, Zobrist, and their other pieces, it probably helps the O's. It means the Rays will be more likely to beat up on the teams chasing the O's. Even though they'll also improve the Rays's chances against the O's, losses are more detrimental when you're trying to make up ground than when you're in the lead.

o

PLAYOFF ODDS O (ESPN)

ORIOLES .....)0O 58-46 OOOOO 60.7

BLUE JAYS)..O 57-50 OOOOO 49.9

YANKEES .....)Oo 54-51 OOOOO 18.1

D-RAYS........).0O 52-54 OOOOO 9.80

RED SOX OOOOO 48-58 OOOOO 1.00

20 games over .500 (91 wins) should be enough to take the division. The O's only have to play 4 games over .500 in August then the same in September to get there. I like their chances.

o

POSTED ON JUNE 10th (The O.P.)

o

The Blue Jays are sitting pretty, atop the division.

The Orioles and the Yankees are treading water.

The Red Sox are floundering.

The Rays are down and out. I believe that they have to go on a stretch of at least 32-18 over a 50-game period to give themselves even a modest chance at getting themselves back into the playoff race.

o

POSTED ON JULY 26th

In the O.P., back on June 10th, I didn't quite bury the Rays, and asserted that they needed to go on at least a 32-18 run at sometime during the season in order to even have a modest chance at a playoff birth.

Since the O.P. they've gone 27-11 over their last 18 games to get themselves off of the proverbial life-support.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/TBR/2014-schedule-scores.shtml

They need to go 5-7 over their next 12 games in order to have reached what I had asserted what they would need (AT LEAST a 32-18 run at some point during the season) just to get themselves back into the conversation. I think that they can do it.

And again, as hot as they are, they are still very much on the outside looking in at 2 games under .500 with only 58 games left to play. I said that it would give them a modest chance at a playoff birth, and I believe that that is what they have played themselves into with their torrid streak.

Rays Need to Keep David Price

(By David Schoenfield)

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/50177/rays-need-to-keep-david-price

Maintaining a lead in the division while getting through this stretch is absolutely huge for the O's. The Jays have 4 against the Astros this weekend before starting a tough stretch beginning with the O's on Tuesday:

vs. O's (3)

vs. Tigers (3)

@ Mariners (3)

@ White Sox (3)

@ Brewers (2)

vs. Tampa (3)

If the O's keep playing like they have been coming out of the break, August will be a good opportunity to gain ground.

Sac fly. 3-1 Stros.

Anywho, it looks like the O's will be back to 2.5 up after tonight. They have three games in hand over the Jays as well, so they could be as many as 4 up or as few as 1 up.

The Yankees lost, so they are now 6 back. The Rays are on the ropes again. You can stick a fork in them either way.

Sac fly. 3-1 Stros.

Anywho, it looks like the O's will be back to 2.5 up after tonight. They have three games in hand over the Jays as well, so they could be as many as 4 up or as few as 1 up.

The Yankees lost, so they are now 6 back. The Rays are on the ropes again. You can stick a fork in them either way.

Rays lost. Jays lost.

o

PLAYOFF ODDS O (E.S.P.N.)

ORIOLES .....)0O 67-49 OOOOO 88.0 %

BLUE JAYS)..O 62-56 OOOOO 25.3 %

YANKEES .....)Oo 61-55 OOOOO 14.5 %

RAYS[/color]........).0O 57-59 OOOOO 7.30 %

RED SOX OOOOO 51-64 OOOOO 0.10 %

The Rays are just the Tampa Bay Rays now...

Archived