2014 A.L. East Standings

OFFNY

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at baseball reference, unless I'm missing something, the Orioles haven't had this big a lead on the division on Aug. 14 since 1971. They've ended some years with bigger leads but not by this much by Aug. 14.

I was trying to figure out which thread to drop this into, as it doesn't really need its own, but reading this paragraph made me smile so big, so I had to post it, and this thread makes as much sense as any, from last night's "rapid reaction" to the game on the ESPN NY site:

"And now, following a crushing 5-3 loss to the powerful Baltimore Orioles, they limp down to St. Petersburg, Florida, eight games out of first place in the American League East and three games out of the second wild-card spot. They needed to win this series, but instead got swept. With just 43 games to go, things are looking pretty grim."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yankees/post/_/id/78804/rapid-reaction-orioles-5-yankees-3-3

The emphasis is mine. God this feels amazing after all those years where we were so bad.

o

PLAYOFF ODDS O (E.S.P.N.)

ORIOLES .....)0O 69-50 OOOOO 93.3 %

BLUE JAYS)..O 63-59 OOOOO 14.6 %

YANKEES .....)Oo 61-58 OOOOO 5.30 %

D-RAYS........).0O 59-61 OOOOO 6.10 %

RED SOX OOOOO 54-65 OOOOO 0.10 %

I believe the number is 35 if my math is correct now.

On this date 3 years ago the Red Sox were 73-46, and 9 games ahead of the Rays. We all know how that ended.

In the immortal words of a scruffy looking nerf herder: "DON'T GET COCKY, KID!"

While I agree we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves and presume it's all wrapped up, because it isn't, I'd like to think the O's are a different case. For one thing with the relationship they seem to have I can't imagine Buck letting the players become complacent like that and I can't imagine the players playing under Buck would become complacent. That Boston team was a bunch of veterans who had been there before and, not excusable, were at a place where complacency could be expected, never mind the major head cases and personalities raging there. That seems to be the polar opposite of this Orioles squad, or at least I'd like to hope it is.

So we lose a game, but maintain a 7.5 game lead with one less game to play, yet the percentage decreases. Why?

I'm not sure.

I like seeing the Rays' chances being twice as high as the Yankees' though.

If they (the Rays) beat the Yanks again tomorrow, they'll be tied for 3rd place in the division.

That said, Girardi has done one hell of a job with the team that he has had to run out there, with all of the injuries and the distractions, and .......

I'm not sure.

I like seeing the Rays' chances being twice as high as the Yankees' though.

If they (the Rays) beat the Yanks again tomorrow, they'll be tied for 3rd place in the division.

That said, Girardi has done one hell of a job with the team that he has had to run out there, with all of the injuries and the distractions, and .......

Fuzzy math reeks of BCS numbers.

I don't see any of those teams making a run of sustained solid baseball. They don't have the makeup right now. TB might be the best of that bunch down the stretch even without Price.

Archived