Favorite Non-Oriole

Camden_yardbird

I love watching Felix Hernandez pitch.

I also like Curtis Granderson because of how insanely charitable he is. He has donated so much in terms of time, money, memorabilia and started the Grand Kids Foundation which helps supply kids with school supplies they wouldn't otherwise have. Both of his parents were teachers I believe and (even as a Yankee) he always struck me as very respectful towards the game, never showboating, etc.

Great thread, btw. We should also do a least favourite player (outside the Orioles, heh).

Willis Otanez. Still chugging along, putting up a 1.000 OPS at the age of 41 for the Aguascalientes Railroadmen of the Mexican League. Has about 2900 career professional hits, and at current level of production it seems that only a lack of desire to keep playing would stand in the way of 3000. I wonder if he even realizes he's near 3000?

Was originally signed by the Dodgers in 1990. Was traded with Miguel Cairo for Mike Blowers, who retired in 1999. Played on the 1998 Orioles with Jesse Orosco, Jimmy Key, Joe Carter, Harold Baines, and Cal Ripken. In 2005 he played part of the year for Veracruz in the Mexican League, and in 108 games he drove in 123 runs. Also played 42 games for the Bridgeport Bluefish that year, giving him 150 RBI in 150 games.

He was briefly a teammate of Jay Howell on the 1992 Vero Beach Dodgers (I think Howell was on a rehab assignment). Howell was born in 1955, and made three All Star teams in the 1980s.

By my count he's played on 28 different professional teams.

Who is you favorite non-Oriole and why?

I have to say without a doubt my favorite player on another team is Josh Harrison of the Pirates. He plays like I feel a baseball player should, all hustle, all the time. But he does it intelligently. He's got sneaky skills, and can play all over the diamond. He plays any infield position and plays outfield well enough to have an outfield assist.

Tonight, he gets a single in the tenth, steals second and then hustles out a run down to advance a base against the Mets. If you like baseball...try and watch him.

Harrison is a good choice, he's really making a name for himself this year. I'll go with McCutchen.

Several of my favorites have already been mentined such Beltre, McCutchen, Longoria, and Uehara.

Some others I love to watch (though not necessarily root for) that haven't been mentioned yet are David Price, Jose Bautista, Carlos Gomez, Koji Uehara, Zach Greinke, Hisashi Iwakuma, Johnny Cueto, Stephen Strasburg...

I took a class that justin verlander was in at old dominion (although he didn't actually show up very much). Still was pretty cool. I have always rooted for him except when he plays the O's.

I also played baseball against David wright in high school down here in the 757. I've followed his career closely and rooted for him, especially since the mets were my second favorite team growing up since the Tides used to be the Mets farm team (I got to see Daryl strawberry in his pre-cocaine finery in Norfolk).

My favorite non Oriole in terms of just pure talent and guts that I enjoy watching is Paul Goldschmidt. That guy can rake.

Archived