Yankees are perfectly positioned to get Tex next year

Frobby

You can forget about Mark Teixeira being an Oriole, unless he is just dead set on playing for his home town team.

Assuming that Johan Santana signs a deal with the Mets, that's one less place for the Yanks to go spend $20-25 mm a year next offseason. Meanwhile, contracts for Giambi, Abreu, Pettitte and Mussina come off the books. And they have nobody of note playing 1B now.

In short, there will no limit to what the Yankees can spend to land Tex, and there is every reason in the world for them to make him one of their top priorities, if not the top priority.

You can forget about Mark Teixeira being an Oriole, unless he is just dead set on playing for his home town team.

Assuming that Johan Santana signs a deal with the Mets, that's one less place for the Yanks to go spend $20-25 mm a year next offseason. Meanwhile, contracts for Giambi, Abreu, Pettitte and Mussina come off the books. And they have nobody of note playing 1B now.

In short, there will no limit to what the Yankees can spend to land Tex, and there is every reason in the world for them to make him one of their top priorities, if not the top priority.

I'm sure Mattingly was a big pull for him also but now that he's gone to LA this isn't a worry. So now your biggest threat is bidding against King Pete but would that be so hard next season? The O's will have some cash freed up as well. Obviously winning is a factor but I think with Boras as his agent he will take the most money. Home town schmome town. But my pessimistic side does think that the O's will just get used to drive the price up and then lose out like always.

I think it is significantly higher than that. I live in Atlanta and the pressure for him to do a long term deal was/is quite high. He has resisted despite going to school here AND his wife being from the area. It is pretty much known that he has resisted because he wants to play in Baltimore. It is also pretty much known that someone with the Orioles has told him that we're going to offer him huge money. There is a reason we aren't targeting first base in any trade or free agent move. The Orioles expect to get him. I'm not that confident, but I do think there is a decent-to-good chance.

Tex is in Bedard's position. He wants an open market. He's not going to sign a deal with any team right now and take less money. You can cite the injury factor but these guys don't plan on getting injured and think they're invincible. When the Braves, Yankees and Red Sox come calling I think the O's will be over-matched like they usually are. They'll probably try hard though, I just dont think it'll happen, and maybe it shouldn't with the position this team will be in then.

Tex is in Bedard's position. He wants an open market. He's not going to sign a deal with any team right now and take less money. You can cite the injury factor but these guys don't plan on getting injured and think they're invincible. When the Braves, Yankees and Red Sox come calling I think the O's will be over-matched like they usually are. They'll probably try hard though, I just dont think it'll happen, and maybe it shouldn't with the position this team will be in then.

If Tex actually wants to come here I think PA will match the Highest Offer.

I think the Tex bidding between the Os and NYY will be a lot of fun. The NYY certainly have a lot of $ opening up. It will be interesting to see how it is spent.

I think our team can be significantly better in 2009 than people believe if we go get Furcal and Texiera.

The presence of AM may really hurt our chances.

It could be an interesting test of AM's autonomy. If Angelos says to him: "I want this guy...money isn't an object here...damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" do you think AM is going to say no?

I can't imagine Boston getting involved. They don't need a first baseman, do they?

Kevin Youkilis is a gold glove type first baseman who also plays third. The only way I see him moving back to third would be if Lowell totally bombed this season and I doubt that would happen.

As for the O's, I really believe they are in the driver seat for Tex. We also have alot of salary available and signing Tex would be huge for the fans in this city and Angelos knows it.

I believe he will match the highest offer and New York will be used to up the salary instead of the O's being used for New York. You really can't blame Tex for that scenerio and I believe the O's will get this done at all costs.

I also don't believe for a second that because the Yanks are getting rid of payroll that it would change the offer for Tex. They would go after him either way, even if they had signed Santanna and landed Bedard. Money is not an issue for them especially with the new park opening in 2009.

Our biggest drawback could be if we go out and lose 100 plus games this year and the Yanks end up being better then expected. If the Yanks start to fall due to age I doubt Tex would mind the rebuilding in Balto, but if the Yanks have a great season it would be an easier decision to play for a winner.

Here's hoping for an 84-78 Yankee campaign.

The presence of AM may really hurt our chances.

I hear what you are saying, but could Pete just tell him to go out and get it done, whatever the cost?

I think the Orioles have set themselves up perfectly for a Tex signing. No Tejada, no Bedard, only 1 more season of Huff and Mora, plus, hopefully a lot of young talent. Plus, his boy Wieters will be here.

I would be shocked if Angelos doesn't give him whatever he wants.

Archived