Orioles Trade Targets?

Nite

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> in tough spot for trades due to Harvey’s injury. Don’t want to (and shouldn’t) trade Gausman. Bundy’s value down coming off injury.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">July 31, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Think of it as the "buy" price on EBay. If you want to end the bidding now you pay a premium on the current bid price. Otherwise, Boston will continue to work bidders up until the deadline. The sweet spot for Boston is the point in time where one team convinces itself it needs Lester and decides the premium is worth it to ensure they land their guy. The risk is that teams pull offers off the table, but so long as you are negotiating in good faith that generally doesn't happen. Anyone giving a legit take it or leave it offer isn't likely invested enough to actually win out the bidding, so generally no risk in calling the bluff and letting them walk.

All of this assumes you have correctly deduced that there is some sort of market for your asset, of course.

Interesting point. Though given our track record with pitching prospects (Matusz, Bergesen, Hernandez, Cabrera, Berken, Arrieta, etc.) it might actually be worth it to trade a guy like Bundy. The risk is he amounts to something. The gain is he ends up sucking like most of our pitchers and fails. Then we add Lester and can

The Red Sox are just asking for too much here given Lester's contract. It's a 2 month rental.
BOS is trying to get all interested parties to up the anti. They'll hold out to the last minute and then take the best offer. Who knows what that will be?

Yeah, like they will both be #1 all stars- guaranteed.

Keuchel looks decent but he does not scout as good as either one of those two, nevermind both. Why do you think they are even considering it. Sell high principle. He is a good starter but TOR material or the Astros would not even listen.

Depends on the asset being bid upon, right?

It depends on how many teams are in discussions also. If it's one team usually the price will go down or selling team will hold out and not trade. When trading you always ask for more then you want/expect to start with so you have a better chance of getting what you actually value the player at. What Boston is asking for today is probably more then they will ask for at 3:30 tomorrow.

Keuchel looks decent but he does not scout as good as either one of those two, nevermind both. Why do you think they are even considering it. Sell high principle. He is a good starter but TOR material or the Astros would not even listen.

Until the other shoe dropped today (Harvey's arm), I would not feel the same as now. Now I think that Bundy will not come back-not all TJ's do and then Harvey?---Give me the bird in hand so to speak.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> in tough spot for trades due to Harvey?s injury. Don?t want to (and shouldn?t) trade Gausman. Bundy?s value down coming off injury.</p>? Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="
">July 31, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So tell me Ken. How does that impact us when we said already that we are not trading any of those 3 repeatedly...rolls eyes.

It depends on how many teams are in discussions also. If it's one team usually the price will go down or selling team will hold out and not trade. When trading you always ask for more then you want/expect to start with so you have a better chance of getting what you actually value the player at. What Boston is asking for today is probably more then they will ask for at 3:30 tomorrow.

I think that assumes a bilateral negotiation working towards a compromised negotiated outcome. Multi-team talks usually lead to an escalating price provided the asset is indeed sought after by multiple parties.

I think that assumes a bilateral negotiation working towards a compromised negotiated outcome. Multi-team talks usually lead to an escalating price provided the asset is indeed sought after by multiple parties.

The more teams actually making legit offers will cause a bidding war and drive up the price. Only one team there is no reason for them to bid against itself and offer more then what the selling team originally wanted. That's why the Sox want as many teams as possible to be in on this. If it's just us they won't get as much.

So tell me Ken. How does that impact us when we said already that we are not trading any of those 3 repeatedly...rolls eyes.

Because DD does a 180 on the spot for the right return. That being said, I think Rosenthal's basic conclusion is right. My guess is that the O's make a couple of smaller moves and Gausman, Bundy and Harvey are all in Sarasota come late March, 2015.

Because DD does a 180 on the spot for the right return. That being said, I think Rosenthal's basic conclusion is right. My guess is that the O's make a couple of smaller moves and Gausman, Bundy and Harvey are all in Sarasota come late March, 2015.

As they should be. No player except Sale is worth trading those, bottom line.

Archived